Art and Models

WarBeast17

As an artist I've always enjoyed doodling cars, so when i fell in love with the "W" cars they became a favorite for me to start doodling with. Recently though I bought an art print depicting the winternationals race in 1962 between Dave Strickler and Dyno Don. I figured since I build models I decided i'd try and replicate the shot depicted in the art, i've got Dave's car done for the most part, Don's is starting to come together. I'd be happy to post some pictures soon, but I thought you guys might be interested.

-Travis

WarBeast17

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This is the 409 for Don's car, the one for Dave's is already installed since the car is mostly complete, there are shots of it below. It's got the Z-11 style cowl induction and the two piece high rise aluminum intake the Z-11's used as well.

Dave's 62, mostly complete.

Once both cars are done i'll be sure to post more shots up, but for the meantime its back to painting. For anyone whos curious about the art print that inspired me you can find it on dragracingart.com. The artists name is James Ibusuki, and it's found under the main gallery.

WarBeast17

You know funny you mention that, I noticed that the same company that made these kits also makes the the Hayden Proffitt '62 bel-air. #612 I believe it was. I have some resource photos sitting around so I'm sure that can be arranged. I do have a '63 impala kit lying around so I might try and replicate Mr. 409's '63.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Now to really complicate things Travis. You know Larry Brinkley now owns the Strickler / Jenkins car. I met him at Columbus the last time the Hot Rod Reunion was there a few years ago and spoke with him at the York U. S. 30 reunion last year. He told me an interesting story about the car. It seems that sometime in it's travels through history it got the left quarter panel beat up pretty bad (that's another story). When Larry acquired the car he didn't like the mud in it so he got a replacement quarter, cut the original off and held the new one up where it should belong. He says the tire disappeared about 3" behind the panel. He called Bill Jenkins to get an explanation of what happened. Bill said he thought the car would launch a little better if he could get the weight to transfer better so he moved the rear axle forward 1 inch. Then he moved the entire body back 1 1/2 inches. Then he moved the wheel openings so the slicks appeared in the openings where they should have. Larry then took me to the front of the car. Jenkins never cut the bumper brackets so the bumper sticks out 1 1/2 inches in front of the splash shield. It seems NHRA tech never noticed what is probably one of the first altered wheel based cars to go down the track. :laugh:laugh

The only question I have for you now is.........Is your model anatomically correct? :deal :roll

WarBeast17

Haha no, I had never heard of that but since the car isn't 100% done I could always separate some of the pieces to make them appear as such. I had some fun while waiting for the paint to dry on the Dyno cars interior. I took the '64 impala model I transplanted a 409 into and formed some cotton balls beneath the rear wheels to replicate smoke. I'll be sure to post those up soon as well.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Phil, did Candy make you say that? Looking forward to seeing you again. I'll be in touch about Glacier park soon. Thanks Scott

S

Swiss Impala

Travis, congratulations. :clap I for my part collect scale models for many years and I like
to present them together with the cars in the shop. Together with other
memorabilia or arranged to a diorama they are a fine addition.
I hope more members here find their interest in these small
reproductions of our favorite cars.
So, congratulations again and please show us some pictures if the diorama is finished.

Franz

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Phil, did Candy make you say that? Looking forward to seeing you again. I'll be in touch about Glacier park soon. Thanks Scott

Sorry Scott..............decided that I can't "give" you any info on Glacier National Park.

You'll have to find a time when Candy and I can go with you and "show" you!!!!:clap:clap East Glacier, Indian Falls with the double water falls, back road 2 lane highways. Just "stuff" like that!!!!!

WarBeast17

It's been awhile, but i've been busy finishing Don's 62 up! While I was at it I had a little fun with my very first model a replica of my 64.

Well there you have it! I'm working on piece of wood to create a drag strip to stage these cars on. And I've decided that my next project will probably be Ken Walsh's 409, but it'll require some custom made decals so I foresee a longer build on this one.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Really nice work !!!:cool: I used to make models back in the day. If I made models today the striping on the sides would resemble a CARDIOGRAM !!!:cry
:crazyButch:dance

S

Swiss Impala

These models look great. :clap :clap :clap Congratulations.
Fantastic idea with the smoke coming from the rear wheel.
Thank you for showing us the pictures.

Franz

WarBeast17

Wow it's been a long time since I replied here. Anyways I've got a couple new projects I'll be undertaking. I'm doing a few pictures to get myself back into gear with illustration. So far i've got a couple small tributes to some old school racers, but here recently decided to plan for a project to really shoot for. My aim is to include many or as many of the big 409 racers I could standing by their cars in a semi circle. It's kinda like one of those big group gathering shots from overhead you see at some big event. Anyways if you guys have any one to suggest I'd appreciate the help. Pictures are always good too, I have plenty of the Don, Proffitt, and Strickler cars so I'm set there, but I could always use plenty of references. Thanks again! I hope you guys enjoy what I'll have coming up within the next few months.