Assembly Tips

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
While I was assembling the new engine for the 55 Chevy, I took a few photos of trouble spots that I thought I'd pass along.

First is the cam gear. This is a Cloyes steel gear and as many of us have found out, the four slots cut into the surface that contacts the block are sharp.
Sometimes there is no problem but sometimes they will chew away at the block.
There are a few ways around it, like a bronze spacer or a Torrington bearing but lately, I've just used fine emery cloth to dull the edge. That has been working fine for me, but the main thing is don't just install the gear the way it comes out of the package.
Here's a picture of the gear after the edge of the slots have been smoothed off...
046.JPG

Another thing you'll notice is that the dowel holes on the FelPro and Cometic gaskets don't line up with the dowels on the block. They're close, so you can probably force them down but it's easier to just give them a few strokes with a round file.
I thought I'd mention this because you don't want to run into this problem right at the last second, especially if you've already sprayed the gasket with sealant.

047.JPG

One more thing. On this engine, the tip of the spark plug was almost touching the piston so I wanted to grind a relief slot into the piston. I've also had to modify pistons a bit when using oversized intake valves.
The problem was that the pistons were already installed when I got it from my engine guy and I sure didn't want to completely disassemble everything.
It's a little time consuming, but you can safely tape off the entire engine and use "dum dum" putty to seal the bores. It's a seam sealer that you can get at a body shop supply place.
It works perfectly. It'll squeeze in and completely seal the bore, and when you're done, it'll pull right out without leaving any residue.
Of course, you've got to completely seal up the rest of the engine and just work on one cylinder at a time.
043.JPG

045.JPG

044.JPG

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Good tip on the Cloyes gear, what made you think that would work? Pretty bold move on your part to be the first and try that. If it wouldn't have worked,,,,well you know. I Will take the blame for the Cometic gaskets not lining up but not the Fel Pro's. I wondered why when Cometic endeavored to make there version of the head gasket why they just didn't get a Fel Pro gasket for the pattern? That would explain why the dowel holes wouldn't line up. Must be something to do with the temp of the gasket or the block? I wonder what the Go, no Go Fit was at GM at the time?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What compression are those pistons? I don't think the look like high compression pistons.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would say about 14:1 if that is a passenger block with a 4" stroke. Mine were a solid 13.5 in a truck block.

Jim, what heads are you using? I didn't have to notch anything with a .040 gasket and 690 heads. I use a NGK stock # 4554

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I would say about 14:1 if that is a passenger block with a 4" stroke. Mine were a solid 13.5 in a truck block.

Jim, what heads are you using? I didn't have to notch anything with a .040 gasket and 690 heads. I use a NGK stock # 4554

Yeah, these are pretty much the same as your pistons. The slot might be a bit deeper on these, I can't remember for sure but I used your Diamond job number as the basis for these pistons.
I'm using Edelbrock heads. I'm not sure if the plugs protrude any farther on the Edelbrock heads and I can't remember the number of the NGK plugs I'm using off hand. They might have just cleared the pistons, but they were close enough that I wanted to grind a bit of a relief just to unshroud the plug a little bit.
The compression came out pretty close to 13.5 to 1 but the Edelbrock heads have a bigger combustion chamber. I'm guessing it'd be about 14 to 1 with factory heads. I'm using a factory car block but I also had to use a .060 head gasket which lost me a bit of compression too. The pistons were sticking out of the holes a little so I figured a .040 gasket might not be enough at the higher rpm's this engine will run.

I had asked my engine guy to ask Diamond to lay back the edge of the slot, kind of like this Cadillac "soapdish" piston, but I guess there was a miscommunication somewhere along the line because they never did it.
Of course you'd loose a little bit of compression laying that edge back but I think you'd end up with a slightly better shaped combustion chamber.
It's not a big deal but it would have been nice to try it.

z.jpg

Good tip on the Cloyes gear, what made you think that would work? Pretty bold move on your part to be the first and try that. If it wouldn't have worked,,,,well you know.

I've rounded off the edge of the slots on a couple of engines and had no problems so far. If you look at that edge on a new gear it's pretty sharp, I figure that rounded over is better. A bronze spacer is probably even better but this seems to work. I'm mainly pointing out that the sharp edges on a new Cloyes gear can chew into the block.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I had the same issue with my Cometics and the FelPros I had holes made the gasket buckle up and not lay flat.. I had some ancient Victor composition that fit perfect but were way too old to trust. My guess was Cometics used FelPros as their template.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim, isn't that gear issue what you found out on my motor?

Yes, and there were also a few other guys that ran into the same thing.
This was never an issue with flat tappet cams but it sometimes happens with roller cams.
I think all the guys on here that ran into it were running aftermarket steel timing gears.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I had the same issue with my Cometics and the FelPros I had holes made the gasket buckle up and not lay flat.. I had some ancient Victor composition that fit perfect but were way too old to trust. My guess was Cometics used FelPros as their template.
They did not use the Fel Pro's for a template. They used my block and heads.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Sorry, they just seemed to be off the same spot/amount as the Felpros I have and had to be notched to lay flat on the block not bowed up, unlike the Victor gasket. The heads also dropped right on the dowels 690s and E heads..

poison ivy

Well Known Member
when the intake manifold is installed, seal the rear water ports carefully, as a leak pushes water onto cam, in lifter galley.