At my wits end

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I bought this car in 2006 and had it trailered to me, from Alabama to Ontario Canada. 1962 Impala SS 409 4-speed car. Since then it has been a 4-speed shifting nightmare. Today was actually the last straw. I've had various experts have a try at this and after they're done... and take it out for a ride...I'm still calling a tow-truck. The car has a competition plus Hurst shifter which leaves me on a tow truck because, there is no way to get it out of 1st gear. Then, at other times, any other gear. Today no reverse gear..maiden voyage after the trans and shifter was good to go before storage. What is this? Bad tranny?, Bad linkage? Soft mushy shifts between gears BTW.

Waay to discouraged to carry on with this car anymore.

Done

RCE162

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd hate to see what it would cost to bring it down to Iowa for my favorite transmission shop to take a look. There could be a number of things wrong but you really need someone that knows 4spds well enough to work on them with their eyes closed. Its a process of elimination and clearly you have yet to find someone that can work through that process. It only takes one part missing, in the wrong place or install incorrectly to create any given number of problems. You must first find an expert in your area that can get their hands on your car because someone that spends all of their time working on 4spds would have little trouble figuring out what is wrong. Not sure where you have looked but here is always my first suggestion. Find a local car club or association where you can go and speak to some of their members. DO NOT count out racing clubs and associations because your local weekend drag strip should be filled with guys that are very knowledgeable about your set up. Another suggestion is run away from a chain store transmission shop. I took a friends 61' Chevy Conv for a spin and found the clutch so hard it moved the firewall forward and back when you pressed on the clutch. Then I discovered that the Z bar has been modified to create a longer throw... I didn't put it together but I know enough to walk away from the mess and let the actual experts handle it. If you ask around and find 10 people say the best person/shop around is whom ever then go to them see what they say. The car isn't the problem. You not finding someone to fix it right the first time is the problem. Its not the cars fault. We all understand your frustration but your problem can be fixed if you use process of elimination. Good luck!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Competition Plus is a perfectly working shifter if you have :
1. the correct shifter arms for your transmission. There is a different set for a Muncie, T10, and super T10.
2. The arms have to be installed correctly and the bushings on the arms have to be good.
3. The transmission has to be working correctly.
If your Hurst shifter is new, then all the bushings should be good. The arms will have stamped numbers on them and you can check and see if you have the correct parts.

If you want to check this out, let us know what transmission you have and the numbers on the shift arms, we’ll first figure out that part.

My super T10 with Hurst shifter works perfectly, it never hangs up. I installed it myself after having a local shop rebuild it. This is not brain surgery, no computers or chips involved. Let us help you figure out where the problem is, sounds like something wrong with the shifter to me.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks guys. I was way too rattled yesterday and have come down a few notches. These are all good suggestions. I heard of an older fellow in the Lincoln area that just does manual transmission rebuilds. I will call him next week.

DonSSDD I am located in Virgil, between St. Catharines and the Old Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks...DonSSDD. That's him!. He is apparently well known for this and I am thankful for this connection. Hope this ends the tow trucks. Too many times with the transmission issues and too many times the 62 is riding on a flatbed tow truck. So many times now...we now call this the "ride of shame". The scenarios aren't pretty.

BTW. When it lets me shift..and I get on it..the engine pulls and revs... and then understand why there were songs made about it in those days.

We'll see how this turns out.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I mounted my super -T-10 to a bell housing and attached then to an engine stand. Ordered a new competition plus Shifter and a linkage kit too. All specific to my application. Set it up according to directions. Shifts like a dream with no jamming. I know if you do this it will work or you have a transmission problem. If this is truly irritating you that much I would invest in a new shifter and a new linkage kit specific to your application. That will eliminate all doubts. I realise it's a pain to take the drive shaft out in the cross member out but in the end you will be Confident of what the problem was or is. Don't give up on it yet, it needs You're perseverance!!!!!:good

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
If you narrow it down to the transmission, I have a different suggestion. I wanted the M20 in my '64 to have the correct casting numbers so I bought one off CL and sold the one with the wrong casting numbers that had been working great for 25+ years. Turned out the new one needed synchros, hubs and a reverse shaft. I never thought I'd rebuild a 4-speed myself but I bought Cangialosi's book and it turned out great. Its a little tricky getting the main shaft back in - kind of a balancing act, then if you line it up just right, it drops into place. Just an idea if you're a DIY-er.