av price for 61 tri power

111goose

I found and bought a 61 tri power that ended up having a cracked block and heads. :doh Have done some searching and believe it or not have found 2 more 61(?) tri power motors from different sellers. I haven't seen them or gotten the numbers so I'm not sure what they are but exactly but supposedly both of them came out of running cars but have been sitting in a shop/garage. What is a good number on them? The one seller also has a quad power motor altho again I don't have any numbers yet. Thanks for any help.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:? What are you going to do with the cracked parts you have. I wish could help on the adv price but I'm just picking up on these things myself. If you have no planss for your cracked parts I am looking for parts to fix to pefect some processes and test the results.

111goose

I'm not sure what i'm going to do with the block/heads. I've been told that some people will try to repair them but I don't know if I want to invest more money into it just to have it possibly cause problems later on. I'm not gonna scrap it tho, I'd rather re-assemble the parts and make a really heavy end table. What processes are you testing?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
1961 tripower builds

You are indeed a lucky fellow if you have stumbled on to all these 1961 348 tripower engines :).

I have found them to be somewhat rare, but they are obviously "out there". While anyone can stick a cast iron 3x2 intake on a 348 or a 409 with the small heads, not all are cast and stamped from the factory as original.

For a 1961 348 tripower build to be original, it will include the 375011 casting on the block, a date code that runs from Summer 1960 through the 1961 build year (mine are from November and December 1960), and depending on whether they were the high perf build, will have either the 3781147 heads (high perf 348 heads) or the 3758379 heads (280 horse tripower setup). The intake will also have a date code on it, as will the heads. Look for them to be "in the vicinity" of one another.

Also look for the suffix codes stamped on that front pad. If that ends in "HA" you have a tripower setup with the Turboglide (auto) trans and I think the 379 heads (280 horses). If she decodes to "FA" you have that same build with a manual trans (3 or 4 speed I suspect). The Holy Grail for the 348 in 1961 would be the "FH" stamping, which designated 350 horses, a solidlifter cam, the 1147 heads and perhaps some other performance parts (distributor?).

If the engines are assembled and somewhat complete, an easy to tell the high perf stuff from the lower perf stuff is to look at the exhaust manifolds. Two inches tells one story, 2.5" designates the higher perf comoonents. Of course, all of this stuff could have been just bolted on, as many did back in the day...

What is their value? That depends on condition and which parts they are. For those who collect and value casting numbers, the FH is King of the Hill, but still not as highly valued as is the common 409. If you are into 1961s (as I am) then these are indeed rare parts.

I would venture to say that a crack-checked (and OK) set of components that includes the 011 block, the 1147 heads, the correct intake and carbs, maybe even the tripower air breather, along with a good crank, rods, etc. might be in the $3000 range to those who collect these parts for use in 1961 passenger cars. If it's rough, together and complete, but unchecked then maybe $500 - $1000?

A fully restored and correctly build 1961 FH, FA, or HA engine will cost over $7500 when all is said and done. Maybe more depending on how you choose to rebuild.

I'd buy them all day long for $500 if they are within hauling distance. To me, the fun part is locating the parts, talking to the owners about their history, and then the discoveries made when disassembling and validating the quality of the parts. Lots of good and bad stories from those episodes!

Good luck, and let us know if you need help decoding parts. Anything you find and put back into circulation will be well received :).

Cheers!
TomK

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Lock n stitch pinning

I am getting tooling to due pins. The last one I helped do was a diesel. When we were finsihed and painted you could not find where it was fixed unlesss you removed the paint. I am looking for some hard cases that I will use on an inhouse motor for test.