Back fom the HAMB Drags

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just got back this morning from the HAMB drags. All I can say is WOW! Met T-Man and Travis Horton also several hotroders with 348's in their roadsters. T-man has a really cool T tub with a 348 with 3x2's. There was every kind of old hotrod, custom, dragster and all of it was metal. No fiberglass please and not a billet anything anywhere. Lots of flatheads, nailhead Buicks, early Hemi's, inline Chevy's Cadilacs, Olds and W's. It was just like stepping backin time about 45 years. Some of these people got in their Rat Rod and drove 1500 miles sitting on a blanket. No money was given just some trophies and you never met a bunch of nicer people. I think I could have made a good showing in my class but just as eliminations was starting I threw a fan belt and when I put it back on it came off just as soon as I run the RPM's up. I raced a women in a 54 Chev with a 283 and she beat me. It was a healthy 283 by the way but anyway if I would have had another 100 feet I would have beat her. I went over and said I would like a rematch and she said to her husband,'' see, I told you I beat him.'' Her husband said that was the first time on the drag strip for her. I said she beat me by about a car. She gave me a big hug,Oh did I tell you she was a drop dead gorgeous blond of about 25? It really made my day I'll tell you. :clap :beerbang Roy

Tman

Well Known Member
At least you didnt get beat by a FLATHEAD!!!! Yes, my 348 got taken by a fast blown flathead. My Cheater slicks spun past the 60 foot!

Nice meeting you, breif as it may have been.

The track was new the day before, I think I had the 6th pass on about each lane. I think we left enough rubber for the locals the next day.

I also realized after the fact I was not getting full throttle with the cheezy Eelco linkage!!!! Yeah thats my excuse!

It was a great time, just jump over to the HAMB if you want to see pics.

Tman

Well Known Member
BTW, tripowerguy, was that Biscayne your car,silver/gold one? If so, I am impressed!

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My car was the silver blue over white 58 Bel Air 2 door hardtop. It has a 348 with 3X2 and went 93.92 mph. I don't know if that is impressive or not. But I drove the snot out of it and the only failure was my homemade alt. bracket. :cuss Roy

Tman

Well Known Member
OK, I wish we had more time to talk Ws. But as you know it was hard enough meeting the folks you KNEW!

Tman said:
It was a great time, just jump over to the HAMB if you want to see pics.
I've been checking out the pics, looks like it was a really good time. Lots of excellent cars, and friendly folks. :) Wish I could have gone. :( Oh well, maybe next year. :cheers