Back in '58

55Brodie

Well Known Member
For '58 I think GM was top of the heap with Chevrolet and Pontiac. The rest of the General's line-up, not so much. Ford was a real dog and the only looker Chrysler had was the big Chryslers themselves.
My opinion only, yours may differ.

bobs409

Administrator
58 was a unique year for sure. Going from the 57 to the 58 was a shock to the system. I don't care for much of 58 except the Impala. Restoring a 58 must be murder trying to find all those moldings!!! Does anyone know how many pieces of trim/chrome goodies are on a 58?

mdenbow

I have loved 58 impalas since I first saw American Graffiti. Bought my first one in 1975 for $625. I drove it from New Mexico to Iowa to go to college 5 days after I bought it. Drove it back and forth on Summer breaks. Finally retired it 5 years later. I drug it every where I lived for 42 years (New Mexico, Colorado, Iowa and Nebraska. I finally new I was never going to get it rebuilt and I sold it for parts. I moved again and bought another one. I just bought my 3rd a couple weeks ago. I have a sickness that I never want to find a cure for......

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
But with a joystick on the left door . This was a testcar without a steeringwheel , but with bucketseats...There are several more pictures of these attempts, but I haven't saved them. There were also attempts at self-propelled cars driving along electrical powerrails. Maybe someone has the other pictures?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210527-230023_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210527-230023_Chrome.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
I have loved 58 impalas since I first saw American Graffiti. Bought my first one in 1975 for $625. I drove it from New Mexico to Iowa to go to college 5 days after I bought it. Drove it back and forth on Summer breaks. Finally retired it 5 years later. I drug it every where I lived for 42 years (New Mexico, Colorado, Iowa and Nebraska. I finally new I was never going to get it rebuilt and I sold it for parts. I moved again and bought another one. I just bought my 3rd a couple weeks ago. I have a sickness that I never want to find a cure for......

It's funny how movie cars can have such an impact. I'm the same. Probably never noticed a 58 Chevy until American Grafitti came along but fell in love immediately. :D Another that comes to mind is Christine. How popular would 58 Plymouths be without that movie?? (just thinking out loud again...) :rub:think

bobs409

Administrator
But with a joystick on the left door . This was a testcar without a steeringwheel , but with bucketseats...There are several more pictures of these attempts, but I haven't saved them. There were also attempts at self-propelled cars driving along electrical powerrails. Maybe someone has the other pictures?

Is that Elon's mom?? :rub Or maybe I should say grandmother?:roll

• Haha
Reactions: 327