Back in '62

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I was in Anchorage Alaska, working for Safeway , sometime in Sept. 1961, I saw my 1st 62 Impala SS, loved the buckets seats, but didn't like the change in
the rear window, that's why I always wanted a 62 Bubble Top. My Dad and I went down to Seward Alaska and priced one at a Dealer, 3400.00.... kinda pricey for a 19 year old kid. ONLY had to wait 51 more years to get MY 409.:beer

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My dad was a Scale Tecnition and was a bit of a Adventurous type, and always wanted to go to Alaska, so when he go a job offer in the summer of 1959 to go to Anchorage, off we went. It was my senior year of High School, and going from knowing almost everyone in my old school, to knowing no-one was different. Got a job at Safeway, the 1st one in town, and only 2 blocks from our apartment. A lot of the guys working their were older and had corvette's, 57' Chevys, and one of the guys bought a 62 Impala with a 409, that was my 1st ride in one. Each Sat nite I got into going with them to the long stretch of road that ran along the railroad tracks to Seward, thats were they would drag race all the time, it was a long straight mile or so, of road, so it was safe. Alaska
was know for its hard drinking, drag racing, fighting, I wasn't much of a fighter, but I did like the other 2. I bought a 57 4dr Sport Coupe 6cyl. 3sp on the tree. Damn thing was I couldn't beat any one, not even my brother who had bought a Corvair with a 4spd. I stay in Alaska Until sometime
in Oct of 61 then came back to Seattle, went to work for Safeway again for a year, but got homesick, and retured to Alaska right about the time the 63 split window Corvette's came out, and the Bay of Pigs. Funny how you remember some things. While in Seattle in early 62 I bought a 56 chevy 2dr Bel Air 265 3spd on the tree, blew it up right away. Had it rebuilt with a selive and bored to 283 with a Dontov cam and Dual 4's, . Drove up it the Alcan Hyway, So this time when I got back to Alaska, got my job back at Safeway, and I had a car that was fast enough to race some of the cars on Sat. nite. I've always liked cars, but have never had the mechanical ability to fix them. Luckily all my friends in Alaska and Seattle were into cars drag racing, so they all helped me with the many cars I've had. My 409 is the most powerful car I've owned and it's one thrill to own. Thanks to all of you for your advice and help with my build over the years... CASH

IMG_0056.jpeg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Our first trip to Alaska in 2000, I was totally taken!!!! By the time with our 5th trip on the Harleys in 2020...I was totally trying to move!!! Problem was we found a log home 18 miles east of Homer that I wanted to buy. By this time our daughter and husband and their two sons were 5 hours away from where we wanted to live!!!! Didn't think that was something we wanted to do.
2000 was our first trip and since then with aircraft, cars and more motorcycle trips we have probably had at least 25 trips to Alaska!!!!!!! Would still like to be up there. Stan will tell you.....there is no other place in the world that has the view of the Alaskan mountains!!!!!
I'll try to stop now.

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Started my senior year of high school about the time the '63s came out. The thing I remember the most about the '62s was the Anniversary Gold color they had that model year. I thought it was pretty. I had a '56 150 coupe three on the tree with a 283 4bbl engine in it. Corvette valve covers and I told everyone it had a vette engine but that was a lie. I worked part time at a Humble gas station and was making 50 cents an hour (I think - that's a long time ago).