Bad day for 409 lifter failure

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've always used roller but failures like that make me very sceptical...nothing like solid lifters but ohhh the maintenance...not kind to a bad back...

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Doesn't make this any better, but the lifter is the least of the worries. The cam is probably toast. How much "stuff" went thru the oil pump and to the crank & bearings. And don't forget to check out the lifter bore in the block. Looked for a fingers crossed emoji, but no luck on here)
Jeff

wristpin

Well Known Member
Doesn't make this any better, but the lifter is the least of the worries. The cam is probably toast. How much "stuff" went thru the oil pump and to the crank & bearings. And don't forget to check out the lifter bore in the block. Looked for a fingers crossed emoji, but no luck on here)
Jeff
Yeah thats the over riding issue. They sell parts they KNOW ARE GOING TO FAIL. The damage is not restricted to only that part so if I'm on the jury they replace everything their part damaged as well as labor and machining costs.
Who supplied these lifters? I will not buy them and will be happy to call and inform them as such if you have their contact info.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
One of my Pontiac buddies runs a roller in his 70TA 505 street car. He had a failure with a Crower single feed so swapped to having them bushed vs needle bearing. Had 2 of those fail so went to double oil holes , then had one fail and is going to a lighter spring pressure. The needle bearings and getting oil is some of the issue. Then I've heard all brands of hydraulic rollers folks having issues with Chevy, Mopar and Pontiac-mainly variable internal clearances causing leak down. Then you try a flat tappet and good oil and hope is the other option!

Defintiely needs a tear down and flush. Hopefull pistons and cylinder walls not too scratched up from debris or crank.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjow8bX4fj1AhXuwzgGHRsVBbMQFnoECEwQAQ&url=https://bamrollerlifters.business.site/&usg=AOvVaw0mVHArLWmMbgMbgi3t8vb4

I'm sorry to see this. I wouldn't use anything else, highly recommend BAM. The BB1 DLC have had no failures, not kidding, NO failures. I've a good mate here in Aus that has just had a street/strip 605inch 1000+hp ( will be dyno'd and tuned next week ) N/A solid roller Hemi going into an original 70 Hemi Cuda built by Tim Banning, Tim won't use anything else but BAM in his Hemi's due to other very well known brand failures. And yes, this car will be raced with the intention of running 8's in our Aussie Drag Week type event, Street Machine Drag Challenge. My engine builder in Australia, BK Racing Engines has built some of the toughest N/A street/strip engines this country has seen, like in the 6's 1/4mile @ over 200mph, he won't use anything else but BAM.

Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One of my Pontiac buddies runs a roller in his 70TA 505 street car. He had a failure with a Crower single feed so swapped to having them bushed vs needle bearing. Had 2 of those fail so went to double oil holes , then had one fail and is going to a lighter spring pressure. The needle bearings and getting oil is some of the issue. Then I've heard all brands of hydraulic rollers folks having issues with Chevy, Mopar and Pontiac-mainly variable internal clearances causing leak down. Then you try a flat tappet and good oil and hope is the other option!

Defintiely needs a tear down and flush. Hopefull pistons and cylinder walls not too scratched up from debris or crank.
Crower did not suggest running bushed on the street when I asked about that, interesting???

88m5

Well Known Member
So i pulled the motor and took the oil pan off found the broken pieces clean the pan. Installed the pan with 4 bolts and flushed the motor out with some 4 gals of 5-30w and transmission fluid. I used priming tool and took the oil pressure fitting off installed a hose so it can exit out in to 5 gal bucket did look to bad. Tomorrow will pull the bearings out and see what it looks like. The camshaft still has it lobe and has a small nick.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So i pulled the motor and took the oil pan off found the broken pieces clean the pan. Installed the pan with 4 bolts and flushed the motor out with some 4 gals of 5-30w and transmission fluid. I used priming tool and took the oil pressure fitting off installed a hose so it can exit out in to 5 gal bucket did look to bad. Tomorrow will pull the bearings out and see what it looks like. The camshaft still has it lobe and has a small nick.
Hope its minimal damage

stan65

Well Known Member
I asked on your Facebook post, why doesn’t the link bar on the bad lifter pair say”Howard’s” like the ones still in the engine?

Was it a different brand?

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yikes I just installed the Howards rollers in my 380. No miles on it yet.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Something else to consider: some manufacturers spec out their SBC lifters as being also correct for W engines, and many actually are not compatible because the tie bar may be slightly too short. Ideally the mfg will use a 351 Ford spec tie bar instead as the W lifter bores are farther apart. Or perhaps the DIY type builder might just assume that SBC lifters are OK because they will drop in. Depending on the brand and the cam this might be a problem.

In any case, I'd be curious about the mfg and part number on the failed lifter if you don't mind.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I asked on your Facebook post, why doesn’t the link bar on the bad lifter pair say”Howard’s” like the ones still in the engine?

Was it a different brand?
Look real close at the picture, or save the picture and expand. Look at the connection of the tie bars. The bad set is round, the Howard's are oblong so to speak ( the tops are shaved ) They are clearly not the same brand lifters.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjow8bX4fj1AhXuwzgGHRsVBbMQFnoECEwQAQ&url=https://bamrollerlifters.business.site/&usg=AOvVaw0mVHArLWmMbgMbgi3t8vb4

I'm sorry to see this. I wouldn't use anything else, highly recommend BAM. The BB1 DLC have had no failures, not kidding, NO failures. I've a good mate here in Aus that has just had a street/strip 605inch 1000+hp ( will be dyno'd and tuned next week ) N/A solid roller Hemi going into an original 70 Hemi Cuda built by Tim Banning, Tim won't use anything else but BAM in his Hemi's due to other very well known brand failures. And yes, this car will be raced with the intention of running 8's in our Aussie Drag Week type event, Street Machine Drag Challenge. My engine builder in Australia, BK Racing Engines has built some of the toughest N/A street/strip engines this country has seen, like in the 6's 1/4mile @ over 200mph, he won't use anything else but BAM.
I have also heard very good thing about the Bam lifters. I believe one of the guys who started it worked for Crane.