Bad news from the machine shop

Southtowns27

Well Known Member
I dropped my 348 stuff off to have it cleaned and magnafluxed. Turns out that the block has 3 cracks in it. One in each side near the deck in the water jacket (the common ones) and one in a main bearing web. It's in the #4 web through the oil hole parallel with the line bore. My builder said that it's probably repairable, but it could last a day or last 10 years. I just don't want to put huge dollars into something that's a time bomb. What do you all think? I might just be better off selling out.... Would this block be any good to anyone or should it just be taken to the scrapyard? Well, let me know your opinions :(

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
dont believe I'd want to use one with a crack in the main bearing area sad to say.
not trying to take advantage of your bad luck but I have a 58 348 block I would sell cant be worth much....keep in mind though it's a 58 no cooling holes although the bosses are there(I think) so they could be drilled.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
cracked block

I would have to agree. That main crack makes it a boat anchor. Don't waste any more money on that block. I'm sure there will be several show up on here. Someone will have a block you can buy. Not a good outcome, but at least you found out before it was too late.

Fred

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I wouldn't use the block in a complete engine, but I wouldn't toss it either. A bare block you don't have to worry about taking care of may prove useful in the future if you ever find yourself needing to setup a chassis. I know a bare block for mock-up use would have made the engine swap in my '61 go more smoothly.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
save it

If it was a 409 I'd weld it, I did. And I'm gonna use it. Same crack. One weld $200. You should be able to get a 348 block for that.