bad news.....

111goose

Been a while since I've visited. Busy with work which has left me little time to work on my car/motor. Recently tore the 348 down and took it to the machine shop to get degreased and magna fluxed. Just my luck, the block has (3) cracks on top below where the intake sits and each of the heads have a crack going from a spark plug around to a valve seat. :doh Don't know which direction to go now. Love the idea of a 348/409 in my 41 chevy, but I already am in the hole now.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:cuss:cuss:cuss:cuss:evil:bang Man,this stinks.Sorry to hear about this.Here's hoping the next w you find is a good builder.Don

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I feel for you...

I know that feeling :(. Hopefully you don't have too much into the current parts. It's still somewhat easy (read: less expensive than a 409) to locate and acquire the 348 parts that you will need to make a complete engine.

I've had several situations where we drag something out of the barn and then after close inspection find too much damage to rebuild the various components. Other times I've been lucky. I figure there's a reason why they've been sitting in a barn all these years, and my offer generally reflects the downside of the deal...

Good luck in locating the next batch of parts!

TomK

111goose

I found the motor together on a stand in a barn. I paid $800 for the complete motor, 3x2 carbs and intake, 4bbl and intake, 350t trans, drive shaft and a B&M shifter. Bought a 409 crank for $175, and paid $435 to get the block, heads and crank degreased and magna fluxed. Hopefully I can make some $ back somewhere.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Went though this too. first W I bought had cracks just below the area were the head bolts up. paid to have it checked. And the heads had some heavy rust pitting around the valve seat areas. I was determined to have a W and found a good block and an old buddy and a member here had a set of heads. And now I have a good complete engine that I can build. So dont give up there are good engines still out there just waiting for you to find them:cool: Ken

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You already haver a good stash of parts. If you find a bare block and some small port heads you'll be in business. 817's or 333's aren't too costly. Maybe some one here has some to part with. Bob

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm checking on another 409 truck engine(supposedly) to sell but won't know for sure for about 2 weeks.

:crazy

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
35 years ??? I have to say " It's been and still is one H*LL of a ride !!" Thankyou my friend .:clap:clap:cheers:beerbang:cheers:crazy:cool: