Beach Boys - 409 song

WMWiest

Can anyone tell me when the "Beach Boys" released their famous song about the 409? I think it was late 1962 or early 1963!? I'm trying to determine the specific 409 they were singing about with regards to year, color, etc. I know it was a four speed, dual-quad, posi-traction but am looking for additional info. Thanks so much....... Bill

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
google

WMWiest said:
Can anyone tell me when the "Beach Boys" released their famous song about the 409? I think it was late 1962 or early 1963!? I'm trying to determine the specific 409 they were singing about with regards to year, color, etc. I know it was a four speed, dual-quad, posi-traction but am looking for additional info. Thanks so much....... Bill

I remember the engine used on the recoad was a 348!

Google it and I bet you'll find a world of websites (other than the two best in the world - this one and mine) that have something '409'.

:cool:

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Beachboys

the 409 song came out mid 62 , it was on the album surfin safari...I believe it came out before little deuce coupe or shut you down GREAT cruis'n music :beerbang

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
T-Shirt

I don't know,they used a red 62 on my t-shirt :) .Wrench do you have any proof they used a 348 :dunno

Attachments

• bchs018lg.jpg
    bchs018lg.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 81

bobs409

Administrator
It was Gary Ushers (someone with the Beach boys crew/management?) black 59 Chevy w/348 that was used for the sound effect. The drove it up and down the street recording the sound. (that's what I read on a website a long time ago)

It wasn't a real life car they were singing about so no color. Below are the lyrics I got from some website but I think there may some small corrections needed:

(Engine revs....)

She's real fine my 409
She's real fine my 409
My 4-0-9

Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes
(Giddy up giddy up 409)
Before I knew there would be a time
(Giddy up giddy up 409)
When I would buy a brand new 409
(409, 409)
Giddy up giddy up giddy up 409
(Giddy up giddy up 409)
Giddy up 409
(Giddy up giddy up 409)
Giddy up 409
(Giddy up giddy up 409)
Giddy up 40...

Nothing can catch her
Nothing can touch my 409
(Giddy up giddy up oooo)
(Giddy up giddy up oooo)
(Giddy up giddy up oooo)
(Giddy up giddy up)

When I take her to the track she really shines
(Giddy up giddy up 4-0-9)
She always turns in the fastest times
(Giddy up giddy up 4-0-9)
My four speed dual quad posi-traction 409
(409, 409, 409, 409)

Giddy up giddy up giddy up 409
(Giddy up giddy up 409)
Giddy up 409
(Giddy up giddy up 409)
Giddy up 409
(Giddy up giddy up 409)
Giddy up 40...

Nothing can catch her
Nothing can touch my 409
(409 409 409 409)
Giddy up 409
(409 409 409 409)
Giddy up 409
(409 409 409 409)

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gary Usher

Not sure exactly whom Gary Usher was , but he did get credit for the lyrics as written by Brian Wilson / Gary usher....Interesting tidbit about the 348 sound effects...Another example of the 348 being an unsung hero :beerbang

JC327

Supporting Member 1
Some sources claim it was a FORD engine in that recording! I'll try to find where I heard this.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
JC327, I read the same thing, but was too emabarassed to say so. Its been so many years since I read it , I couldnt begin to remember where. Hope you are able to, or maybe its best you cant find it.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Beach Boys

I always heard it was a 59 348 that was recorded.Think I saw that in a Brian Wilson biography.

Fred

JC327

Supporting Member 1
All I can find so far is that Mr. Christian (The guy who co-wrote the song) thought that the 327 was a better engine and he also said "It was a good song about a bad car". The same book says that Usher (the guy whose car was supposedly recorded) had a "248 Chevy". (From "Heros & Villains The True Story of the Beach Boys)

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
, 11:42 PM
oil4kids
member Join Date: Aug 2003

409 song really 348 sounds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most people dont know that the Brian Wilson -Beach Boys song 409 was really Gary Ushers 348 engine sounds. He cowrote the song. Gary never did own a 409 he did buy a hemi though.

this is from Gary Ushers website

Throughout the years, I have been asked countless times how I became involved with hot rod music and I usually respond by explaining how I wrote the song 409 with Brian Wilson. This song, as I'm sure most of you know, went on to become the first of many car hits during the early and mid-sixties. However, the beginning really goes back to 1960-61 when, as a Titan Records recording artist, I performed with Carol Conners and Ginger Blake (later of the Honeys) at the Orange Show Fairgrounds in San Bernardino. The host disc jokey was none other that Roger (hot rod) Christian from KFWB radio.
After the show, Roger and I struck up a friendship that centered around his car, a customized 1955 Corvette. Ginger drove my car home and I "flew" home with Roger at an average speed of 90 miles per hour! Roger was equally fascinated with my 348 cubic inch Chevy. When he discovered I spent my weekends drag racing with Paul Peterson at the San Fernando Airport Dragstrip, we became inseparable. I should add that this occurred before I had the good fortune of meeting and working with the Beach Boys.

The height of the hot rod fad climaxed during a one month period when Roger and I actually wrote, and I recorded, over 50 car songs. By that time, I had purchased a new 426 Plymouth Hemi Superstock. It's interesting that I never did own a 409 Chevy; by the time I had "saved my dimes," the 426 was considerably faster. I should add that I won many events at the San Fernando dragstrip with my 426 and a young, exuberant Dennis Wilson by my side.

Many listeners begin their knowledge of Usher through his association with Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys. The recording of Gary's 348 Chevy car engine begins this collection with a roar on "409". Usher said of "409": "it was prominent in the sense that it brought me the most notoriety because of the early success of the Beach Boys". The irony of this is that after the song was recorded, Gary purchased a Plymouth 426 Hemi Superstock, not a 409!

http://www.garyusher.com/bestv1.html

in-case you forgot those Beach Boys 409 engine sounds..hmm....I mean 348

http://lubedealer.com/oil4kids/409startup.mp3

The Beach Boys - 409
(written by: Brian Wilson, Gary Usher)

She's real fine, my 4-0-9
She's real fine, my 4-0-9
My 4--0--9

Well, I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes (Giddyup, giddyup, 4-0-9)
For I knew there would be a time (Giddyup, giddyup, 4-0-9)
When I would buy a brand new 4-0-9 (4-0-9, 4-0-9)
Giddyup, giddyup, giddyup, 4-0-9
Giddyup, 4-0-9
Giddyup, 4-0-9
Giddyup, 4-0
Nothing can catch her, nothing can touch my 4-0-9, 4-0-9

(Oooo, giddyup, giddyup)
(Oooo, giddyup, giddyup)
(Oooo, giddyup, giddyup)
(Oooo, giddyup, giddyup)

When I take her to the track she really shines (Giddyup, giddyup, 4-0-9)
She always turns in the fastest time (Giddyup, giddyup, 4-0-9)
My four-speed, dual-quad, posi-traction 4-0-9 (4-0-9, 4-0-9)
Giddyup, giddyup, giddyup, 4-0-9
Giddyup, 4-0-9
Giddyup, 4-0-9
Giddyup, 4-0
Nothing can catch her, nothing can touch my 4-0-9, 4-0-9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by oil4kids : 09-27-2003 at 01:16 AM.

oil4kids
View Public Profile
Send a private message to oil4kids
Send email to oil4kids
Visit oil4kids's homepage!
Find all posts by oil4kids
Add oil4kids to Your Buddy List

#3 09-21-2003, 10:45

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
bignbad60 said:
Gary usher....Interesting tidbit about the 348 sound effects...Another example of the 348 being an unsung hero :beerbang

They only used the 409 because they couldn't think of anything to rhyme with 348 ...

it's real great my 348

giddyup giddiup giddiup 348

Doesn't really work does it?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank goodness the Ford rumor was just that. Glad what I read years ago was probably someones cruel joke. I can live with the 348. Wouldnt it be neat to own that particular 348? I wonder if that would be conidered the most recorded engine sound in history?

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Biography

"Nonetheless, they were determined to have a career, and they cut a demo tape that would turn out to be their first major label record. With that tape and the help of the Wilson brothers' father, Murry, the group secured a record contract with Capitol Records in mid-1962. Their first single, "Surfin' Safari" b/w "409" was virtually an overnight hit, and almost right out of the box, The Beach Boys became Capitol's hottest act."

409 was recorded in March 1962... ALSO, the engine sound used to record it was indeed a 409 . It belonged to Dennis Wilson, who bought the car new and recorded the sound in the family driveway in Hawthorne, CA.

Rock :cool:

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
http://surfermoon.com/tracks/files/f/409.shtml

The track archive is a collaborative effort. The information has been entered by Andrew Gladwin and Rob McCabe. The scripts were written by Mike Wheeler. If you have any comments, please notify us by e-mail: cabinessencequestions@hotmail.com.

Written by: Brian Wilson/Gary Usher
Produced by: Nick Venet
Recording date: early 1962
Take Number:
Master Number: 37736
Time: 1:57
Lead Vocal by: Mike
Originally appeared on: Surfin' Safari
Subsequently appeared on:

Notes:
Recorded as a demo in early 1962 along with "Surfin' Safari" "Lonely Sea" and another song.
Twofer lists recording date as June 13, 1962 (9 days AFTER it was released as a single).
The Beach Boys first double-sided hit single with "Surfin' Safari" on the flip.
Car sounds recorded late at night outside the Wilson house with Gary Usher's 348 Chevy. :eek:

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
bignbad60 said:
The Beach Boys first double-sided hit single with "Surfin' Safari" on the flip...
Car sounds recorded late at night outside the Wilson house with Gary Usher's 348 Chevy. :eek:

Well :scratch , I was half right anyways...

Rock :cool:

The song was released at the end of the 1962 model year and didn't affect 1962 sales at all. jusdging by the number of "duel quad" 409's sold in 1963 and 1964 it didn't affect those sales either. Makes a good "myth" tho'. Like a fuel injected Stingray beating a Super Stock Dodge.

PS: In the summer of 1987 I presented a plaque made up from a W block valve cover in commemoration of the 25th anniversery of the song on behalf of the engine plant (they were doing a concert at a Buffalo baseball parK). I think it was Jardine who was displaying a 409 Chevy at auto shows at the time.

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Plaque

Fran, sounds like an interesting plaque , do you have any pictures of it. ...Tim