Bead Roller

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have a Pro Tool bead roller that I want to convert to electric powered foot operated, variable speed with revers. I do have some motor's that I salvaged out of a treadmill.
Not sure I have the wits figure a controller to pull this off. These are the motors I snagged. The D/C motor looks the most robust. I did figure out how to make the 110 volt motor work in both directions. Any of you guys have some pointers for me?

20200525_201835.jpg
20200525_201901.jpg
Those blue wires went to a switch on the back of the treadmill labeled OFF and Reset.
20200525_203648.jpg
20200525_203735.jpg
This motor sized and lowered the platform.

Thanks James.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My Eastwood motor kit has a foot pedal on/off switch and a separate thermostat to adjust the speed. How about an old sewing machine pedal?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have thought of that but but not sure how it hook up.
Another question, on my bead roller the hand crank is on the top wheel and all the power bead rollers I have looked at have the power feed on the lower roller, what difference would it make? :dunno2

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Unless you snagged the motor controller (dc drive) off of the treadmill you will need to get a dc drive that is rated for 120vac input and 1.5 hp output. I think you will find that to be expensive. You can find cheap 1 hp drives that will power the motor if you think that's enough oomph for the bead roller. Next we would need to know if you want reversing and if you want the drive in an enclosure or bare chassis.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have thought of that but but not sure how it hook up.
Another question, on my bead roller the hand crank is on the top wheel and all the power bead rollers I have looked at have the power feed on the lower roller, what difference would it make? :dunno2
I think the only difference would be the direction that the metal moves when turning the roller.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
So gave up on trying to outsmart the speed controller.
Went to plan B.
Took the trigger out of a right angle variable speed drill and working on a foot pedal to control it.
Also picked up a coupler 3/4 by 1/2 inch.
Going to mount this on an engine stand at a height as the table it is mounted on with the saw horses. That way I can use it with or without the table.:good
20210314_212750.jpg
20210314_212833.jpg
20210314_212856.jpg
20210314_213415.jpg
As you can tell I used my finest scrap. :crazy

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did snag all the electronics out of the treadmill. The big control panel is the part that would need to be out smarted by someone smarter than me.
View attachment 82884
View attachment 82885
James, it’s about input and output of power, on that control board it has an inverter on it that changes the AC input to DC output. I will come down and look at it and I have a jumper cord to hook 120 V to it and we can see if there’s a DC output if there is then you can hook the motor to it. A potentiometer can control the speed. That DC motor may have a gearbox on it that has a bad gear in it if it is locked up. Sometimes they use a speed reducer. When I worked for Sears I worked on treadmill’s. I’ll try and get down there sometime soon and take a look at it for you and see if I can figure something out. There are all kinds of power supplies out there with inverters built into them. Some of them are not cheap some of them are not too bad. You might also call Eastwood and see what they want for a drive system for your bead roller. May be cheaper than you can get parts to make that one work.:D

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
So gave up on trying to outsmart the speed controller.
Went to plan B.
Took the trigger out of a right angle variable speed drill and working on a foot pedal to control it.
Also picked up a coupler 3/4 by 1/2 inch.
Going to mount this on an engine stand at a height as the table it is mounted on with the saw horses. That way I can use it with or without the table.:good
View attachment 92682
View attachment 92683
View attachment 92684
View attachment 92685
As you can tell I used my finest scrap. :crazy
That there is some honest o'l Yankee Ingenuity, Nice Job James!!!! :good

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I think Tooth is on the right track, that treadmill circuit board should have a rectifier DC output to power that motor. If he can put a meter on it and power it up you should ba able to figure it out, once that is accomplished controlling the speed is easy and so is reversing.