Belvedere Bummer

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
guess i must be an optimist. i really thought the 57 would come out clean. oh well.

Attachments

• 0741cc12-ed6e-46fb-abf8-07d34dc36522.jpg
    0741cc12-ed6e-46fb-abf8-07d34dc36522.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 134
  • f5aab98b-b5bd-4352-87ed-dcdd19de04a5.jpg
    f5aab98b-b5bd-4352-87ed-dcdd19de04a5.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 137

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob: I think quite a few of us feel that sealed in concrete we were hoping it would come out ok. But....as we have learned conrete is NOT water proof
Robert

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Sad,
and even worse is the fact that there are 57 Plymouths that had many years of use and abuse that have been exposed to the elements for years that are far better than that one.
:doh

I was dissapointed.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What a shame ,,:cry

No miler, no owner, all original, always garaged Ebay car !!!:roll

really tough,, what a shame,,,

bobs409

Administrator
What a waste. :cry I was really hoping she would come out of there intact. Looks almost as bad as the titanic! :grumble:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know there are a couple members here who could make that baby new in a matter of months !!!:brow

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
57 Plymouth

That is a shame. Too bad it wasn't possessed like Christine. It could heal itself.:clap You know what they say. " Rust never sleeps " Skip:)

bobs409

Administrator
As part of the "Tulsarama!" festivities, citizens of Tulsa were asked to guess what the population of Tulsa would be in the year 2007. The guesses were then recorded on microfilm and sealed in a steel container buried with the car. When the car and artifacts are excavated, the person whose guess is closest to Tulsa's 2007 population is to be awarded the Belvedere.

I wonder if the winner will still want it? :scratch

Can you imagine what it would be like if you knew it was there all this time and were waiting and waiting for this big day for 50 years? The dissapointment must be real bad!

Who ever designed that wrap that was put on the car to keep it dry is probably getting some bad phone calls right about now. :evil

I wonder if there are any more cars buried alive out there? This car had a death sentence for sure. Ugh, I can't stand to think of it anymore. I love old American cars of all makes so this is a bit much to take. :cry

I vote they make 'em pay for that unpaid parking ticket they put in the glove box!!! (with interest!) :mad: :D

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob:
I would suspect that the culprit in this was the design of the vault and the seal between the upper and lower sections and not the wrap. From what I have seen in pictures that it would not be an approved concrete method nor would the seal be approved if that was to be a sewer manhole system used here:D :D
Robert

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Based on the amount of rust on that car it looks like something Phil might want to park next to the convertible he bought.

Bill

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I would imagine that somebody here knows of more buried treasures.
there is an old guy here in md. who told me of a giant pile of model a's and t's that got covered over in Takoma Park. (where i was born in md.)
and a guy i used to work for (drag racer hall of famer) Chick DeNinno told me that chrysler had the first 50 prototype 1980 dodge challengers driven into and parked side by side a giant hole they dug in michigan about 20 ft deep and then covered over. of course i asked why.....all he would say is they wouldnt pass emissions and had some secret emissions developements.
chrysler has done some dum stuff, while reading about the belvedere, i learned that a 1998 prowler is buried as a time capsule. but i forget where. (good place for a hideous prowler anyway)
and of course chrysler cut up all the turbine cars but 1

whoever did the Tulsa vault should be embarrassed at least. and i suppose the cosmoline on the 57 story was false.
i read of a case of thompson machine guns salvaged from a WW2 frieghter. covered in cosmo and still in perfect condition after 60 yrs in the ocean.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was just reading an article that showed pictures of the car being lowered into the cement vault. They said that it was a bit of a rush job and the cement wasn't close to being cured. And I guess if there were any cracks there wouldn't be anywhere for the moisture to go. Many people were worried about how the car would look when they opened the vault. But I've got to admit I was a little shocked when I saw the pictures.:eek:

I think it's sad, and a waste of a piece of history.

On a contemporary note... another thing that's sad...
Do you think anybody would bother to attempt something like that with a car today ? You know... so proud of what it is, and the times as they are, that they would want to preserve it as it is, for people to see 50... 100 years from now ?

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Can you see all comments if it were a Toyota, Nissan or a Ford or Chevrolet of today 50 years from now. First off nothing is being built today that stands out and is unique. 50 years ago if it was a Pontiac it was unique to Pontiac, engine, drive train and body style. If a Chevrolet, Ford or Plymouth was going down the road you could tell what it was 2 blocks away. Now you can't tell if it is a Lexus or a Camry, a Cobalt or a Corolla, and that is standing 20 feet away. The romance with the auto is gone except in a few cases, I went to the market yesterday and saw one of those little GM cars that have the world as a badge, world car.:roll
I think that it is sad that the Plymouth didn't come out in pristine condition, I wish it had, Chrysler put a bullet in the head of Plymouth and now one of the few survivors is in sad condition. All old cars regardless of make are to be treasured because they will never be again.:cry Roy