Bend Pak prices have gone UP

bobs409

Administrator
I'm ticked. I've been holding off ordering the Bend pak Hd9 4 post lift until I was sure the snow was over so I could put the cars out and install it right away. I just learned the price went up from $149-170 this past Friday!

I was going to buy it from ASE for $2650 but they now want $2820.00 I wrote them but they won't give this poor guy a break and sell for the old price. :grumble: The lowest I can find now is Northerntool for $2799.00. That means I just threw away $149 dollars for nothing! :cuss

Also found out it will cost $100 for a roll back to bring it from the trucking company to my house. (a 3 mile drive!)

Tried looking to rent a flat bed truck but non around here if you can believe it. Nearest is Penske but they'd have to bring one in from Philadelphia and it's not worth their bother for a one day rental. Afraid to try a moving type van in fear I'll damage the floor and have to pay for that which would really put me over the edge! :eek:

Only option left is a tow behind trailer. Not sure how much that would be.

Can't wait until this nightmare is over. I had the money since the start of winter but waited too long. :cry

Bob

(thanks for reading my rant)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob,
Did you send them a link to your website and mention how many potential customers you represent? That might get their attention.:deal

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Lift Rant

I feel your pain, and undrstand your predicament. how does Bend Pak pack their lifts? I bought a backyard buddie some time back and dearly love it. When it came, it was packed in a bundle about 3' square and 16' long. We picked it up from the truck termial on my car trailer and brought it home. Disassembled it from its shipping end frames and assembled it in the driveway off the trailer. I looked at all of the lifsts at the time and found backyard buddie to be the only one that totally enclosed the verticle posts with the endframe tubes so there is NO WAY the lift could rack and collapse. It was the only one that did not come with mounting holes in the floor plates of the corner posts, and I have moved mine down the driveway from the garage where it originally lived to my new shop on its wheel kit, plugged it in and lifted a car with out any further adjustment or concern. I have a 7000 pound standard lift now and have had my stretch cab Siverado up on the lift with on problem. I would go buy another one tommorrow if I had the need. The other thing that impressed me was the safeties are cut into the wall of the vertical tubes nad not welded onto or hung in a 3 sided formed sheet metal post that COULD rack and collapse if one of the lift cables broke.

Big Jim

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
everthing is up

i placed a order with street and performance 30 days ago they had to chrome part shipped part and charged me another $8.40 after i paid the bill 30 days ago
there shipping has gone up so we all just keep paying and say THANK YOU :takethat :takethat :takethat :takethat :takethat

oldimpala

Well Known Member
Bob-

Raw materials costs have gone through the roof. Metals and Wood due to China, munitions, and re-building Afghanistan and Iraq.

Add to that, anything imported has now skyrocketed, due to the deflated dollar and currency markets, and I'm sorry to say it, but be glad it only went up $170. To give you a point of reference, a German pump for my Saltwater fishtank (Another hobby) used to cost me $254; I just purchased it for $409. Although I normally like that number, not so much here. :) It's dang near 50%; and it's mostly due to the Euro/$ exchange rate.

Consider probably at least the electrical, and probably a good chunk of the machined/forged/stamped parts are from overseas, and it's not too bad.

Then, of course, we could talk about the fuel surcharges probably being absorbed by Bend-Pak, and well...

I know it sucks, but it's EVERYWHERE. I actually empathize with Bend-Pak, like all the other US businesss they're probably running a thin margin, to pay a decent wage, and stay competetive with Asia, and have to raise to survive.

Just my thoughts.. At least companies like Bend-Pak and Rotary stil do some stuff in the US, so you can help a few families out with jobs...

-Andy (The Devil's Advocate) :bang

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm sure Bob has had his money in a CD that paid over 8% this winter so he is actually MONEY AHEAD!!!!:dunno :dunno

Right Bob?????:doh :doh

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I love my Bend pac. I have the 12000 lb 4 post. Great lift, quality materials, good engineeing. Under $3000.00 when I bought last year on sale.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
It was interesting reading your pump $ issue today. We priced a couple of replacement sewer pumps today and got a serious case of sticker shock as to how much they have gone up and they are made in Ashland, Ohio wherever that is. Our percentage didn't increase as much as yours though. I'll have to tell my superintendent your % but not tell him yours is fractional HP not 25 HP.
robert

Bob-

Raw materials costs have gone through the roof. Metals and Wood due to China, munitions, and re-building Afghanistan and Iraq.

Add to that, anything imported has now skyrocketed, due to the deflated dollar and currency markets, and I'm sorry to say it, but be glad it only went up $170. To give you a point of reference, a German pump for my Saltwater fishtank (Another hobby) used to cost me $254; I just purchased it for $409. Although I normally like that number, not so much here. :) It's dang near 50%; and it's mostly due to the Euro/$ exchange rate.

Consider probably at least the electrical, and probably a good chunk of the machined/forged/stamped parts are from overseas, and it's not too bad.

Then, of course, we could talk about the fuel surcharges probably being absorbed by Bend-Pak, and well...

I know it sucks, but it's EVERYWHERE. I actually empathize with Bend-Pak, like all the other US businesss they're probably running a thin margin, to pay a decent wage, and stay competetive with Asia, and have to raise to survive.

Just my thoughts.. At least companies like Bend-Pak and Rotary stil do some stuff in the US, so you can help a few families out with jobs...

-Andy (The Devil's Advocate) :bang

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
It was interesting reading your pump $ issue today. We priced a couple of replacement sewer pumps today and got a serious case of sticker shock as to how much they have gone up and they are made in Ashland, Ohio wherever that is. Our percentage didn't increase as much as yours though. I'll have to tell my superintendent your % but not tell him yours is fractional HP not 25 HP.
robert

Ashland Ohio is between Cleveland and Columbus just off I 71 , in my neck of the woods. Had a salad there once on my way to take my EPA class II water distibution test. They make a hell of a salad!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thanks Ray I knew that as many members as we have from Ohio someone will let me know. I am only a Water class one but in sewer am a top dog..... 5/S/A. We will be doing a reverse osmosis project soon as I can obtain funding on a well source project and will need two registered class II water operators. If none of my guys pass are you available:D :D
robert

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks Ray I knew that as many members as we have from Ohio someone will let me know. I am only a Water class one but in sewer am a top dog..... 5/S/A. We will be doing a reverse osmosis project soon as I can obtain funding on a well source project and will need two registered class II water operators. If none of my guys pass are you available:D :D
robert

Robert, I think you want water treatment class II, I am water distibution, if not call me in 2009, june 26.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,,if you think thats bad i just did a price-up for a 200hp 8lb.-8 stage bell
pump. seat down----------$71,000.00 us. dollors and it is for reclamed water.
and the other pump is only 7 years old. rstreet,fatride you folks know pumps are not cheap in the water or sh-t.
mike

oldimpala

Well Known Member
Robert-

You know the frustrating part about what I wrote; I can buy a Chinese made knock off, which looks damn near identical, and theoretically has the same flow characteristics, for $150. But, I also know it's assembled by cut rate labor, and has mixed QC issues.

I do realize, too, that the German company invented the thing, has done it "right" for over a decade, and pays what the European Union deems a "Living Wage" (Like minimum wages, but higher; think about $18/hour). So, for me, I at least can sleep knowing I have a bit of a conscience.

I guess Bob coulda bought a Harbor-Freight lift, probably for $299.99. Just don't get under the thing, and you'll be all set! :)

Seriously, tho, Bob... I am a bit jealous. When I'm in the Lehigh Valley visiting relatives, mind if I bring some projects over to wrench on? :D

-Andy

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ashland Ohio is between Cleveland and Columbus just off I 71 , in my neck of the woods. Had a salad there once on my way to take my EPA class II water distibution test. They make a hell of a salad!

Fatride is that salad called a Cannonball? If it is I had the same salad when we were at the Ohio LGC convention in 1997 and like you said one hell of a salad.:clap

Kevin

bobs409

Administrator
Well, I just placed the order! 10-16 business days until it gets here. :brow

Pictures coming soon... :deal

bobs409

Administrator
Made in China!

Did you guys know Bend Paks are now made in China? I sure didn't! :bang

Funny how they forgot to mention THAT on their website. :mad: If I wanted China made, I could have gotten a lift for $1,800 that included drip pans and casters!

I thought I was buying an American made lift. Why do I find these things out 2 days after I buy one? Aye, aye, aye... :grumble:

This country is fading fast my friends. I don't know why we don't just move everyone from China over here. They are already making everything for us. This way, we wouldn't have to ship OUR steel over there, and then ship the products back over when we buy them!!! :cuss

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,

I bought one of these: http://www.classicautolift.com/ a few years ago.
American made. Copied off a "backyard buddy". Nice unit.

I've even had my 3/4 ton plow truck up on it, with the plow. No problem.

Check out the images. Mine came with 3 drip pans, jack tray, & 4 caster units
( to roll it around ).

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did you guys know Bend Paks are now made in China? I sure didn't! :bang

Funny how they forgot to mention THAT on their website. :mad: If I wanted China made, I could have gotten a lift for $1,800 that included drip pans and casters!

I thought I was buying an American made lift. Why do I find these things out 2 days after I buy one? Aye, aye, aye... :grumble:

This country is fading fast my friends. I don't know why we don't just move everyone from China over here. They are already making everything for us. This way, we wouldn't have to ship OUR steel over there, and then ship the products back over when we buy them!!! :cuss

I'm surprised at how many people don't realize that almost everything comes from Asia. Even items that say Made is USA or Made in Canada are actually made in Asia., or at least a high percentage of the item is made overseas.

bobs409

Administrator
Well, good, bad or anything in between, it's on it's way! :brow Odds are it will be fine, at least I'm keeping my fingers crossed. At least with Bend pak, these units are certified so it won't be like those real cheap Chinese lifts you see on ebay.

I got an e-mail this morning saying it shipped out yesterday. Not sure how long it will take to go from Cali to Pa but I'm ready. Today I bought and installed the 10/2 wiring, ordered a 1-3/8" deep socket I was told I would need and have 3 gallons of Dexron III just waiting! :D

I downloaded the instruction manual from Bend Paks site and without having the pieces in front of me, it's a bit scary looking. :eek: I've been told it's not that bad and was told 3-5 hours to assemble.

Pictures and the installation saga to be posted....