Bendpak HD-9: The good, the bad & the ugly.

bobs409

Administrator
Here's my story on this "adventure"! I'll start out with the assembly, then go into the nightmare of actually getting this thing home!

Major complaint/problem: Power runway end beam windows were not positioned correctly. Minor complaint would be the instructions could be better. First I'll start with the assembly, then the transportation of it. Ok, here goes:

End of the power runway that had the single pulley's did not go all the way down onto end beam so holes did not line up to even put the bolts in. Also due to this, the single pulleys would not turn as the window openings were not aligned properly causing them to bind up. A "BFH" straightened out the end of the runway which helped but a grinder was also needed to remove two humps in the top of the end beam where the runway sits on. Looks like it swelled up from the welding process. Once these "repairs" were done, the runway sat down properly allowing the pulley's to turn freely.

Now for the worst part. The other end of the power runway with the double pulleys was so far out of alignment that before even putting the runway into place, the pulleys would not turn more than 2 inches! This is something that should have been very evident when those pulleys were installed by Bend Pak. It was however left go for the customer to deal with. The fix was to grind about 1/8 inch of metal from the window opening so the pulleys could turn. This only solved part of the problem. Once the runway was set into place on the end beam, those window openings did not align and were off by more than 3/16" as well as the bolt holes being way off. Using the "BGH" again and grinding ALOT of metal out of the window slots was needed to fix this. Needless to say, I was not happy having to do any of this. Poor quality control for sure. Maybe this is where the made in China part comes into play???

Next, the non power side runway needed to have a hole on each side drilled out as well. The holes were off by about 1/8" not allowing the bolt to go through.

Lastly, I feel the instructions could have been better. Some things were just too vague for a first time installer. And the tool list in the manual, I could add about 20 more tools to that list!!!

100_4894.jpg100_4896.jpg100_4898.jpg100_4899.jpg100_4901.jpg

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Part 2

Now that this 2 day hellish assembly nightmare is over, I am pleased with the way it operates and the overall feel of it. It's rugged and I feel it is safe. As long as the cylinder, pump and motor are of good quality, it should last for a long time. (knock on wood)

As for putting it together in 4-5 hours? Wasn't happening for me. I did work mainly alone so that didn't help the speed process but this was a JOB! Day one I worked on it from 10:30AM to 6 PM. Day 2, I worked from about 10 AM until I finally raised the lift under it's own power at about 4:30 PM. I still want to fine tune the locks/cables but that' today's job.

Now for the "getting the lift home" part! Just about everything that could have gone wrong did! First, I ordered this from Northern tool and specifically asked if it could be shipped with Conway trucking as there is a terminal less than 2 miles from me. They said SURE, no problem! Because of this, I requested it be shipped to that location. Well, there sure was a problem. A few days later, Bend pak sends me an e-mail letting me know the lift was shipped by Yellow trucking! Uh oh! BIG RED FLAG TIME!

First thing I did was go to Conway trucking and explain the situtation. Thinking they wouldn't be too happy about having a competitor dropping something off at their place for me, I checked with them and they were more than happy to help me. (so they said!) EVen offered to allow me to unpack it on the dock to load it into 2 pickup trucks and also offered to help load
it if needed. Took my phone number and asked if it was ok for them to sign for it. (which I agreed to)

A few days later, Conway trucking calls me telling me that there is a truck here with the lift and they cannot accept it! WHAT??? I even got the manager on the phone and he said they would not accept it for liability reasons. Afraid I'd sue if it got damaged. Bull! They just realized they weren't going to get any $$$'s out of the deal. I offered to sign a paper or
similar to release them of any responsiblity but they outright refused.

Conway is the biggest part of the problem here. If they would not have acted like they would help me, I could have made other arrangments ahead of time. I should go find the jerk I spoke to in person that day and have a serious "discussion" with him!

So now I have a trucker waiting for me to somehow get this damn thing off of his truck! (and he's not waiting much longer!) I frantically get on the phone to find a rollback to go winch it off and bring it to my house. HA! Try getting one of them to help you in a hurry. The first one said he was busy working on a car and couldn't do it. (note, he's 5 minutes away from this place and only 2 miles to deliver it) I then try location #2 which is also 5 minutes away. He says there are 2 other tow jobs he promised that he still had to do so wouldn't help me. Location #3: This persons garage is also only 5 minutes away from the trucker also but unfortunetly, he was out on a call and couldn't get back for an hour! I should also point out that I had gotten estimates from location #1 and #2 so both of them knew I might be needing help with this project soon.

That was it, I was out of options. I called the trucker back and told him to take it back to his dock in Allentown, Pa which is 55 miles from me and I'd figure a way to come get it the next day.

Next day was a scramble to find a rental truck. Thought I'd rent a 16' cube van (moving van) but when I called the trucking company, they said it would not work as they are not "loading dock height". Being almost 14' long, they could not pick this up from and end to set it in a truck, it had to be slid in. So my last remaining option was to find a "dock height" truck.

I finally did. Bad thing is it was 24' not including the front of the truck! (a 2006 Chevy 6500 series) LOL I never drove a big truck like this but kept my optimism and looked upon it as a "road trip adventure". (It was fun and I didn't even put a scratch on it!) lol

100_4902.jpg100_4903.jpg100_4905.jpg100_4906.jpg100_4909.jpg

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Ending

It ended up costing me just over $200 dollars to get this lift home with rental cost and refilling the Mamoth beast! It got 7 miles to the gallon! Cost me $58 dollars in gas to go 121 miles!

Looking back now, the road trip was a blast but the overall experience was 3 days of torture. I'm so sore and stiff right now I could barely get up this morning.

Would I do all this again. NO! Not that I should ever have to but if I ever did need another lift, next time I would look into having it delivered and installed!

Would I recommend a Bend Pak? Yes. Just be prepared to do some "work" not mentioned in the book!

100_4910.jpg100_4913.jpg100_4917.jpg100_4919.jpg100_4921.jpg

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Jeeze Bob, what an odyssey! What a difference in the way things went for me. I had my 12,000 lb lift (no Robert, the lift capacity not the weight of the lift) delivered at the city water dept garage, pulled it out of the Yellow freight truck with the water dept backhoe, loaded it onto my car hauler trailer, backed the trailer into my garage and unloaded it with my Massey Ferguson front end loader. Putting it together was heavy work but everything lined up perfectly! I did have a few close calls due to the fact that I had no help, I dropped one of the runways off one end of the lift crossmember, man what a racket that made! I'm not sure but I think mine was built in USA.

PS. Keep a close eye on the hydraulic lines when lifting the rack. Make sure one or the other line does not get trapped under the fluid reservoir.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ray:
If you had shipped that to one of our county facilities I am sure some political gadfly would have reported you to me and we would have had a discipline personnel issue to deal with. Glad to hear Ohio isn't like Maryland. Hell, when one of our trucks is out in the county during the middle of the night on an emergency call out we usually get an "information" call either anonymously or direct from a commissioner the next day.
robert

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Robert, the city manager that was on watch has just this week announced his resignation in a storm of political turmoil. Me thinks he was busy at the time. Normaly it is not that different of a climate here. :cuss

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Gee Bob, it sounds like you were a victim of Murphy's law. But I guess,,, all's well that ends well.:deal

bobs409

Administrator
Yeh, it was something else. I never thought it would end but should be all worth it now. Tomorrow, I change the oil on 4 of my cars! :brow

Good tip on the lines Ray. Seems odd the lines go in on the opposite side like that doesn't it?

I searched this thing and can see no mention of China on it. Not sure if some of it was built there or not. Looks good though, welds are perfect. Somebody goofed when aligning those window openings though. Mine can't be the only one that got through like that either.

Bob :coffee:

bobs409

Administrator
I contacted Bend Pak through their website a few days ago just to let them know of the defects I found with mine so they could check any others they have going out and I got a call today from them.

They offered me one of their sliding jacks for $500 for my inconvenience but since I'm only a hobbiest and $500 is a bit too much to spend in my life right now, I declined their offer so they are sending me a free floor jack instead. That sure is nice of them!

I certainly didn't expect such a generous gesture. They obviously care about their customers.

BTW, the lift is working GREAT! I did 5 oil changes on it already!

Bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good service

Bob:

That's great that they thought so much of their customer that they made it worth your while. Maybe you should offer to compose their manual for them, adding your creative comments :).

So all's well that ends well, and that seems to be the case here. Glad you got it all figured out, and that it does what you want to do! If I ever select this brand I will be sure to inquire about your instructions. Just don't tell me you've relocated to China :).

Cheers!
TomK

bobs409

Administrator
I don't know Tom, I may have to outsource this website to China to save some money to buy gas for the 409. :D (yeh, like that'll happen) :stooges

Just got news that they are sending me one of their Ranger 1.5 ton aluminum racing jacks! :clap It's worth about $200 from what I can find.

That makes up for the $200 dollars I spent on transporting it home I guess. :p

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob ,
Maybe you should've post a request for help on this neet site we all found, its www348409 or sumptin like that. I'm sure someone could have helped you, but you would have to have gave us more info such as were the power windows on a camaro, chevelle, impala ................................................Didn't know you had to change oil in a lift that often.:roll :roll see ya shoulda helped me tape my garage.YUKYUK
Ray