Best way to build a 350 hp 348

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The 3 deuces look killer on a old hot rod but the single 4 barrel and dual 4's will give you more power. The 3 deuce intake is a poor performance piece by todays standards. I won't change what I did for a little more horsepower other than get better heads. (it's a 31 Chevy 3 window coupe 379 w-head, 348 bored 30 over and a 409 crank)

Attachments

• 31 chevy moon pics 005.JPG
    31 chevy moon pics 005.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 31 chevy moon pics 004.JPG
    31 chevy moon pics 004.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I will take a look a the Demon 625; is there something about them that make them better? I picked up a muncie m-22 4 speed instead of the auto trans and a winters 10" champ 4:10 ratio. It's going it to a 31 Ford roadster. I thinking it should be fun to drive.

When I was in the planning stages of my build I wanted a 4 speed too. I bought the Muncie and then a buddy of mine let me drive his 31 Ford 2 door sedan. (327 and a 4 speed)
Let's just say it wasn't what I imagined it would be. I was expecting a lot of fun but it wasn't. My feet were too big and the petals were small and very close together.
The Model A has very little room for 3 petals. You end up having to use very small spoon petals and they have to be very close to each other. So close in fact that I could easily push in the brake and clutch at the same time or the gas and brake in at the same time. It was frustrating and a pain in the you know what. Not the "fun" I was expecting. I had to turn my foot sideways so I could hit just one petal at a time. It was very uncomfortable and not any fun. I went with the TH350 auto after that and sold the Muncie. I wish everyday that I had a 4 speed in the hotrod but it just wasn't a safe and fun option.
I don't know what your doing for a steering column but keep that in mind too. If your going down through the floor you will only have enough room for two foot pedals. Speedway sells a thingamajig for steering that you can put on your firewall to free up some space for 3 pedals but it's $500!!:drop:shock1:yikes:crazy
You could go out the side of your hot rod through the cowl. (find yourself a old sprint car or a old Dodge, either of those steer boxes will work and won't cost you $500)
That would leave you more room for petals too. They still have to be close together and small but it can be done.

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
31 Chevy (348) 003.JPG
I wanted a aluminum 3 deuce intake but nobody makes one so I sanded down a cast iron intake until it was smooth. Then I sent it in to get ceramic coated. It turned out so nice I had my headers ceramic coated as well. There are 2 inch aluminum spacers under the carbs and the water pump is a Eddy aluminum water pump. The valve covers and air cleaners are aluminum too. The rest is all iron.

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
How many CFM carb; carbs for a 350hp ish 348, 333 heads 2.06 and 1.72 valves and 409 crank? Dual quads would sure look good or maybe 3 deuces!

I haven't heard it mention on this forum, but for what it's worth, Chevy's last year and highest HP (350), for the 348 was 1961 and it had 3 deuce's. It would be kinda cool to build that engine to stock spec's, and you'd have your 350 hp and 3 deuce's. Also the engine may have some value to someone looking for 348/350 hp should you decide to sell it.
Welcome to 348-409......:winner

hanke

Supporting Member 1
Dang I just ordered a edelbrock carb for my 84 full size bronco. Not sure how the Demon carb would work going up and down hills, but that's that carb has alot going for it. I going to get one oe two for the 348 motor. Looks like they make some small 4 barrel carbs for a dual quad setup and a 3 duce setup too!!

hanke

Supporting Member 1
Heck I looked up and there was a 3 deuce setup! Nice setup Wally72974!!!
What intake did you use? what did you sand? Man that looks good!!!

hanke

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the heads up on the limited peddle room. I agree not quite sure how to handle that. Maybe a suicide clutch lever on the outside of car lol. That would increase the fun factor! ha ha

hanke

Supporting Member 1
actually I thought as much as I really don't too; is to hang a set of swing peddles. Like you say maybe the through cowl side steering.
Wally72974 what head lights are you running on your 31 Ford?

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The headlights are Electroline 2200 series. To my knowledge they came on La France fire trucks in the 20's or 30's.
Really expensive on eBay but if you can find a set locally they're usually a lot cheaper. My hot rod is a 1931 Chevy but
Fords are ok too.:poke;)

Last edited:

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Heck I looked up and there was a 3 deuce setup! Nice setup Wally72974!!!
What intake did you use? what did you sand? Man that looks good!!!

The intake was a original 348 cast iron intake. I wanted it to look aluminum so I sanded the intake until it was smooth.
Cast iron has all the little bumps on the surface so I had to get rid of those. After it was smooth I sent it to Trail Performance in Omaha, NE.
to have it ceramic coated. Ceramic coatings and powder coatings are about the same but I was told ceramic coating stands up to heat
better. My headers are warrantied for 3 years and can withstand heat up to 1700 degrees before the coating will fail. Trail Performance
did my headers too. I'm sure there are places all over the USA that can ceramic coat stuff you just have to look for them.

Last edited: