Best year yet for the Peach City Beach Cruise, Penticton BC

wally409

Well Known Member
This year's eigth's annual Peach City Beach Cruise was an astounding success because we Dennis Gage of My Classic Car come up and tape our event.
Last year we had 434 registrants - this year 658!! That's almost a 50% increase.
He flew in from Indiana late Friday night and spent the Saturday and Sunday taking video and speaking with many of the participants.
I met him and was very pleasantly surprised at how easy he is to speak with and his passion for antique, classic cars and trucks and hot rods is apparent.
Also, he's not a big guy. I'm 5' 9" and about 150 pounds - he's an inch taller and about the same weight (but I think 3 pounds of that is mustache).
He said the show on our Cruise will air on Speedvision starting in January '09 and we've been told to expect another massive increase in registrations for next June.
The problem we're going to have is where to put all the cars.
We have a one-mile beach on the north side of town and another beach on the south end and we may have to have two sites.
We're meeting with city officials to see where where we can expand the show.
Please go to: www.peachcitybeachcruise.com to get more info and pictures of Dennis and the show.
I didn't get my bubbletop ready in time - still have about 40 hours of work to go, but next year for sure!
Stay well. Wally:cheers

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
beach cruise

Hey Wally......

I did make it to your cruise. I was intruduced to one of the officials, very cute little thing (smile)......... Pam. She was going to call you and tell you that I was looking for you, but I told her not to bother, you had other things to look after.

Thanks to you and all of the other people for your time and effort to put it one !!!

I will tell you that it was a great show !!!!!! Friends have been there with their cars since day one and have been trying to get me up there. It was well worth the trip. Some of the nicest cars I've seen.......... and what could be a better setting !!!

Obviously my car didn't get there and neither did yours........ I looked real hard & found three 348 cars, but not a 409 to be had.

My car will be there next year for sure and I'm sure yours will be........ I have 3 freinds with 409 cars and I'm going to see if I can get them there as well......... maybe we could have a little 348/409 corral ?????

Let's get some of the members here to get their cars there as well........

It's a great show !!!

Dave

PS......... we have a friend in common....... he knows you very well. ........ Brian AKA "Bam Bam"

wally409

Well Known Member
Hey Dave - I'm really sorry that we couldn't hook up - I've been a director since the inception and from Thursday to Sunday afternoon, it's pedal-to-the-metal for me/us and we're on the move constantly. Thanks goodness for golf carts!
(And cheers to Bam Bam).
We had so many great comments and next year will be even better once the show airs on Speedvision.
And I guarantee, I will make sure that all of us with W-engines, will have a special area to showcase our cars next year. The theme could be '09's for '09.
By the way, we missed the hot weather by a week - right now (5:25 PM, Sunday June 29th) it's 39 Celcius - that's 103 Farenheit and the forecast is for two weeks of this kind of weather. (Whoever invented central air, I bow to you)
Maybe the cooler weather would be better because my bubbletop would last for 5 minutes sitting at an intersection in this kind of heat.
See you at next year's show. wally:cheers

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Wally,
I've got two and maybe three other 409 cars plus my new Impala coming to your show next year......... so with yours that's a possible 5.....
There was a few 409 cars at the Langley Cruise In, and some nice 348 cars as well that I'll try and track down. We should see if we can find 4 more (at least)..... then we could have more than 9 09's for 09.

Are there any members close enough to join in the fun?????????

Wally have you heard when the Dennis Gage episode will be on TV?? If some of the members see it maybe they'll realize how good the cruise in was and be tempted to come from a long distance.

Can you make room for us on the grass by the beach !!!! ???????

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The link is in Wally's post. It's in Penticton, B.C. It's a beautiful spot right between two big lakes...... the city has beaches on both.

I'm sure Wally will give you more info when he sees this.

Dave

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm glad to hear the event is going so well. Be sure to remind us to watch for the My Classic Car episode.:cheers

wally409

Well Known Member
Hey guys - sorry for the delay in getting back to you

We're still getting great vibes from our show this year.
The show will be aired starting in January on My Classic Car.
We don't have an exact date but when I find out, I'll let you know.
Just a bit more information on our city (as mentioned above) we have two world class beaches on the north and south ends of town.
The city is about 3 miles long and about the same distance east and west with mountains on either side. We produce world-class wines from more than 100 wineries in the region and have a thriving orchard industry. (and a lot of kick-*** cars and trucks because of our relatively dry climate.
We get hot summers and mild winters and we are a destination for a lot of boomers who settle here because of the weather.
(I should get the chamber to send me a check because I'm one of the city's best ambassadors)
We've invited other heavy hitters (in the antique and classic car universe) to attend future shows and as they commit themselves, I'll let you know.
If you want to get more info on our cruise go to: www.peachcitybeachcruise.com
The official website of our city is: www.penticton.ca
Thanks for this guys and we hope to see you at our 9th annual event at the end of June '09. Stay well. Wally:cheers