Beta users needed for home auto hobbyist software: not a sales ploy

donsz

Well Known Member
If this is inappropriate for this forum or site, please delete, I don't want to violate any rules.
I am not a commericial entity, just a auto enthusiast and a member that also enjoys programming.
Members of this site have helped me so much over the years, and I certainly don't want to do anything
that comes across as offensive.

I have completed an application called GearHead Databox. In short it is a tool to manage your
home auto hobby (I know that this not for everyone). I have not found a software soecifically
for auto hobbyists. What I have found, appears too general and data/input intensive.

The application works on Windows 10.

The application provides the following:

1. Ability to save and manage:
- Vehicles info. including type, model, purchase cost, current valve, market value, etc.
Your images can be attached.
- Parts/tracking by vehicle and category, costs, etc. Images can be attached.
- Tools/tracking by vehicle and category, costs, etc. Images can be attached.
- Maintenance/tracking by vehicle and category, costs, etc.
- Organzation of reference materials. Images can be attached.

2. Vehicle, parts and tools information can be printed out complete or only selected items. The print-outs
can used as addendums for wills and living trust documents.

3. Parts and tools information can also be saved as a formatted image and made available to label
makers that print image labels (JPG). Parts and tools labels include value information.

4. Quick Analysis Charts: allow a visual anaysis of vehicle, parts, tools and maintenance data.

5. There is extensive use of editable drop down lists (select and click) to minimize the typing of input data.
This also helps ensure data integrity and more exacting analysis.

6. An administrator security level that can view and edit all data. Others can be allocated lesser privileges.

I would like to get feeback from actual users of the application. Therefore I am offering the application
free to those that would provide feedback. I need five people to test and provide feedback. The application
and database would be theirs to keep.

I only ask that if you do have an interest, that you message me:
- With your email address (needed for DropBox download)
- It is for your personal use
- You will not make copies for others (O.K. if for own use)
- Provide me with feedback

Again, if this is inappropriate, please delete.
don

donsz

Well Known Member
That is why the logins have associated security levels. Lower security levels do not see the cost info. But I'm guessing most wifes have already figured out whatever you spent, it's too much.

But a thought, if you ever reach the point where you can no longer function, most wives will not know what you have or what it is worth in case they need to sell, gift it and/or avoid probate . My wife thinks anything in my workshop that is not shiny, is junk and she would pay to have someone haul it away. Yet the "junk" is sometimes rare and valuable (i.e., NAPCO drivetrain items).
don

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
A useful tool to help convince the IRS that even though you only paid $1000 for that car you sold at BJ for $100k that you didn't really make a $99,000 profit.

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
This seems like a really good idea. I've tried to keep an equipment repair spreadsheet in Excel with a tab for each family car, riding mower, outboard motor and so on. But I always end up with different versions saved to different flash drives and I don't remember which one is the latest to update when the time comes. I update an old version then none of them is complete. And I'll replace brake pads with ones that have a lifetime warranty then next time it needs them, I'll forget about the warranty and pay for them again. Tried a dry erase board in the garage for oil changes and now when I look at it, it can't be right. This car CAN'T be THAT far overdue for an oil change. Must have missed writing it down last time, right?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This seems like a really good idea. I've tried to keep an equipment repair spreadsheet in Excel with a tab for each family car, riding mower, outboard motor and so on. But I always end up with different versions saved to different flash drives and I don't remember which one is the latest to update when the time comes. I update an old version then none of them is complete. And I'll replace brake pads with ones that have a lifetime warranty then next time it needs them, I'll forget about the warranty and pay for them again. Tried a dry erase board in the garage for oil changes and now when I look at it, it can't be right. This car CAN'T be THAT far overdue for an oil change. Must have missed writing it down last time, right?
I always just take the lid off the oil filter box and put mileage and date on it and toss it back in the glove box. That way I have what kind of filter (don't have to look it up), the miles are right there (don't have to look it up), and date so I know exactly what day it was. Its also great for the next person that might buy a car too. The app might be far superior for larger projects as a whole though. :D

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It's a great idea. It could be extremely useful. I just know I would be lazy about getting all of the initial data in, let alone posting all of the detail as it happens.

donsz

Well Known Member
Barcode print and scan is not difficult. I didn't do that for the prototype because it would require a scanner and printer. With a label maker you only need the label printer. Also, the label has the ability to provide the name of the object, pricing, and other pertinent data. I'm not saying it's better, that was just what I was thinking at the time.
don

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
Barcode print and scan is not difficult. I didn't do that for the prototype because it would require a scanner and printer. With a label maker you only need the label printer. Also, the label has the ability to provide the name of the object, pricing, and other pertinent data. I'm not saying it's better, that was just what I was thinking at the time.
don

The ability to print/scan labels would aid corroboration of a specific part on a shelf with its entry in the database; rather than having to write it out manually in what would likely be an inconsistent manner. Same concept as what warehouses use to track their inventories.

donsz

Well Known Member
I agree: I was thinking on a pragmatic level, that if a spouse needs to have a "garage sale", the pertinent data (part name, price, etc.) is already on the label. And that would make it easier for potential buyers or anyone doing an inventory. The label data comes from data that already exists in the database. There would be no need to "scan and read", it negates the need to have the computer that the application/database resides on avaible during the read process. I don't know if my approach is better or not, that is why I appreciate feedback. Additional perspectives always make for a better product.
don