Billet Specialties Tru Trac 348 409

way2lo2

Billet Specialties will be developing a Tru-trac pulley and accessory mounting bracketry for the 348 409 engine. I got a call today from the owner for whom we are building a 59 impala with a 348. He asked me to yank the 348 and put a 454 in its place so he can use the 348 to develop this Tru trac sytem. I told him this was a little drastic and I would help find him a core. If anyone in the Chicago area has a spare 348 they could loan for a while or one that is for sale, please let me know. The engineering dept. has their hands full right now but in the not so distant future they would like to start on this project. I can be reached @ way2lo2@aol.com
thanks in advance
Boris

Attachments

• 0000000695-prod.jpg
    0000000695-prod.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 114

J & J

Well Known Member
true trak/serpentine

I talked to zoops and they said if you use their small block brackets and have access to a reverse rotation water pump you can make your own serpentine assembly.. I also talked to Lamar Waldon, and he said he has a reverse rotation water pump. Is Billett Specialties going to develop a reverse rotation water pump to go along with their setup? Looking forward to seeing this.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
reverse impeller

Show-Cars has the reverse impeller for the serpintine belts in their catalog.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I`m sorry guys, but again I must be the one to say what I think,,,:doh

I think that the serpentine belt setups are UGLY, over done and look like you have a manufacturing plant on the front of your engine !!!

I can`t be the only one that thinks this,,,can I ?,,, dq

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
If you're going for a modern type install, then a serpentine belt is the way to go. They're great for creating clean, compact systems that don't have to have 3 belts stacked up off the crank, and also eliminate the belt-slipping/throwing issues that you can get with the V-belts.

Then again, I think jacked-up, mile-high rearends look UGLY, out-dated, and back-woods so who am I to say?

I think that the serpentine belt setups are UGLY, over done and look like you have a manufacturing plant on the front of your engine !!!

No one is alone, JIMMM!:hug
and I couldn't have said it better myself:bow

Oh...
small block brackets ?
yeah, ok:scratch

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ugly and....

not what I want to see on a nostalgic engine. But Hey, that's hotrodding. So many different looks today. I'm stuck in the 60's.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If it helps the performance of the engine in HP gain it's for me. I would like to see a functional system, no cheesy bling.

cabriolet409

Well Known Member
I have a serpentine system on my 409 which was designed and built by Mark Campbell over at Street and Performance in Arkansas. It is a pretty nice set-up and goes well with the hotrod theme of my car. It also clears the radiator in that limited space a lot better than multiple v-belts would have. It was darn near impossible to find brackets which didn't make the alternator and A/C compressor stick out the sides of the hood!

As you have said, different strokes for different folks is what makes hotrodding so great. Otherwise, who would ever think of putting a 409 in a 1934 Ford? :hug

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Then again, I think jacked-up, mile-high rearends look UGLY, out-dated, and back-woods so who am I to say?

Would that be a slam on my car design?:dunno

I won`t say that my 62 has a mile high rearend !!:takethat

But she does have that late 60`s up- in- back look,,:D

I`d rather have that look then putting all this hi-tech, bling bling stuff with 20 in wheels on a classic Chevy !!! (puke)

I know,, to each their own,,,

and I`m all for that,, I just had to state my view,,,dq

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yup these kinda aurguments are always interesting :D

I am building mine 70/80's style with N50's, slight rake on the ***, period correct guages, minor bling etc etc which to some restore guys looks ugly but to me I love it. Each to thier own but no matter how you look at it it's all damm hard work and not many, un like us in this group, could pull it off :clap

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I`m sorry guys, but again I must be the one to say what I think,,,:doh

I think if you are trying to stay with a stock look then the serpentine system doesn't cut it but, if your are building a custom Hot Rod or street rod the serpentine is the only way to go. I have the March set up on my 63' Chev SWB 502 with the 67' polished 430 HP 3X2. I made my own custom air cleaner and it looks great.:brow