Biscayne/BelAir 2dr sedan rear seat question

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Does anyone know for sure what years the rear seat used the same seat frame??
Are 61-64 all the same. Or?

I have a 63 Biscayne 2dr sedan project that is missing the rear seat, and I need to locate one.
Thanks
Anyone in Michigan have a rear seat you would like to get rid of?

62BillT

Well Known Member
If they do interchange, I have a '61 and a '62 2-Dr Sedan Rear Seat available.

The Hollander Interchange lists the Front Seat, but not the Rear for some reason.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
63 rear seat are the same for Bel air & Biscayne the Impala has that top speaker. The are a couple out there on car-parts.com used auto parts market they also have a app.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I m interested to know this also, I can get a 64 Impala 4 dr back seat cheap. would it fit a 62 Bel Air? Thanks for your knowledgeable replies.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Distinguished Mr. Phil: Thank you for your swift response. Unfortunately the less educated among us cannot discern your exact meaning from your terse response. In other words, what years / makes are the same and which are different? All 4 drs same? 61 and 62 same, 63 and 64 same? 2 dr and 4 dr same in same year? I assume we are talking about rear seats. Sorry to be a pest but I would really like to know exactly. Thank you for your patience , Kent aka heddrik.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Kent....I'm NOT distinguished!!!!!!!
2-door and 4-door back seat I BELIEVE are different widths.
I'll measure my 63 Belair back seats in a day or two for you. It's a 2-door sedan.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I know for sure that a 4dr rear seat bottom is different shape. They have very rounded corners on the leading edge to ease entry, where as a 2 dr sedan seat bottom has square corners where it butts up against the rear door panels.
Impala rear seat is a completely different animal, and is narrower due to lower panel armrest/ash tray panel.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Thank all of you astute, knowledgeable gentlemen for the information. I had NO idea the seats were so diverse, but thinking about the 4 dr -Tom Miller's note makes a lot of sense from a design standpoint. Sounds like 2 dr sedans would fit across 61-64? Is a 62 bubbletop different than 2 dr sedan? Sooo many details to learn about these great old cars. Thank you all again.

heddrik

Well Known Member
So, according to the last two posts, I can modify a 64 Impala 4 dr seat to fit a 62 bubbletop by squaring the corners.? I assume a trim/interior shop can do this by modifying the metal framework. Reason I ask is I can buy a 64 Impala 4dr seat for 32 dollars.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
No the 64 4 dr will not modify to a 62 bubble top...only to a 2 dr sedan. You can modify a 61 2 dr hardtop to a 62 bubble top

heddrik

Well Known Member
Ok , thank you sir. How about modifying a 62 impala seat by getting an interior shop to fill in the center piece? So the sedans and hardtops had different seats ,lengths, heights, etc?My dad was from Paducah and a die hard Cardinals fan, it rubbed off on me some too.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Thank you Mister Campbell. I wish I owned a 62 bubbletop. Again, so much to learn about these cars. Isn t the side chrome for a 62 bubbletop unique, Bel Air trim but longer than sedan or 4 dr?Im sure there are other rare pieces that I'm not aware of.