Black Or Red Wheels - Which Is Correct?

WMWiest

I have a 1963 Impala SS 409/425. Can someone tell me what determines the color of the wheels on Impalas that year? I see some with red and others with black? Thanks so much..... Bill

bobs409

Administrator
Wheels would be semi gloss black both sides if car had full wheel covers. If car had dog dish caps, the front would be body color and the back semi gloss black.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that. :)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I believe the color of the wheel was determined by the tire.....if the car originally had blackwall tires, the wheels would have been red.....if the car had whitewall tires, the wheels would have been black....

I believe the SS could have had body color wheels except in '61 when whitewalls were a manditory option on SS's.

No409

Supporting Member 1
my 63 is palomar red, and i ran black steelies w/ dogdishes, and blackwalls and it looked sweet. i think im gonna go back to them for the sleeper effect

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Wheels would be semi gloss black both sides if car had full wheel covers. If car had dog dish caps, the front would be body color and the back semi gloss black.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that. :)

I know for the Chevelles 64-72 you are 100% correct Bob.
I have only ever seen any early 60's chevrolet with dog dish caps to have body color wheels. I thought black wheels for full wheel covers.

But, I think Tommy and Richard are saying body colored wheels with full caps if with white walls and black with black walls with full wheel covers.

is this what you guys are saying?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
colors????????

Starting in 1962............all Super Sports had black rims. All other models were body color. I'm not sure how long this lasted but I know it's true thru the 1964 model year. Tommy might know if the 61 SS had black or body color. I'm not sure on that.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Starting in 1962............all Super Sports had black rims. All other models were body color. I'm not sure how long this lasted but I know it's true thru the 1964 model year. Tommy might know if the 61 SS had black or body color. I'm not sure on that.

Somebody needs to clear up the facts about the dogdish cars.
Not the full wheel covers.
All the SS cars would have had full wheel covers.

I think the original question was about wheels with the dogdish caps.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Richard:

I'm just going by the Chevrolet dealer albums and engineering finger-tips facts books. With the SS option, they all got black rims automatically. Then the rest were "supposed" body color. My Impala is black and came with black rims and small hubcaps. I really don't know what the criteria was used for the colored rims versus black rims when it came to a tire size or whether they were blackwalls or whitewalls.

Where's Fran when we need him????????:dunno :dunno

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This post may be looked at as "nit-pickin" but it is on the subject. 1962 Impala, white exterior with turqouise interior and turqouise side trim stripe. Wheels are turqouise. This is a untouched survivor car and I am sure it has not been painted at any time. So I suppose that the wheels could be --- either body color or trim color......... Of course this means nothing for the 63 year, but I though it worth mentioning.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Phil,
Were your wheels semi-gloss or were they gloss black, to match the body color?
Ross

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
62SS wheels

My 1962 SS was relatively untouched when I bought it from its original owner. Was (and still is) White over Aqua. Has full size SS caps. Wheels were black. Still are, I didn't even repaint 'em.

My 1961 BA sport coupe had dog dish caps, but wheels were replaced. I plan on putting them back with Corona Cream wheels (body color) and dog dish caps.

TomK

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a 63 Biscayne that is unmolested and it has Dog Dish hubcaps with the wheel color matched to the body paint.

Bill

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Ross

Phil,
Were your wheels semi-gloss or were they gloss black, to match the body color?
Ross

I don't remember...that was Jan. 20, 1965 when I bought it!!:dunno :dunno

You should refer to ALL the recent posts about my age and lack of memory!!!:roll :roll

When we painted the white 62 Biscayne, I was told by someone and I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO!!!.....that the factory painted the rims with enamel paint while the car is in lacquer. That's what we did. That way the enamel was shiny without having to rub it out.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Black is Beautiful????

My 64 SS 409-425 H.P. conv. is Ember Red (922) with 8.00 x 14 tires and Black Enamel rims, when new. My 64 hardtop, which is now Ember Red, came with a 300 H.P. 327, also had Black rims. This car was used, when I bought it. Skip:)

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Phil
I believe all 61 SS had black wheels and the reason was exactly as Tommy said because all factory SS cars had whitewalls and 8.00 tires.
Robert

WMWiest

Thanks everyone for your replys!!!!

Thanks Phil and all the rest of you for your replies to my original post about the wheels! I do have a 1963 Impala SS 409/425 with full wheel covers and black wheels. I've seen pictures of the SS with both red and black rims and just wondered which was correct (Phil..... see EBAY item no. 330034699534 which is a "Muscle Car" print of a 1963 Impala SS with red wheels instead of black????.....what do you think?)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"I believe all 61 SS had black wheels and the reason was exactly as Tommy said because all factory SS cars had whitewalls and 8.00 tires."

We have gotten off the subject but I want to say that the information sent to the Chevrolet dealers in Feb of 1961 concerning the new SS states that the wheels will be painted black.

As for the original question concerning the '63 SS, I believe the wheels should be painted black if the car has whitewall tires, as I said in my original post, I believe that the car would have had body color wheels only if it originally had blackwall tires.

blumun53

Well Known Member
I idolized these cars as a youngster. Took a few pictures, etc. Looking back at every SS from that year, I see body color on every rim, whether the car is white, bronze, yellow or what. Don't see any aqua colored cars though, so can't really say. And all I see have full wheel covers. I hope this adds to the confusion.

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
blunum53, Are the pictures you took from 63? Are the cars unmolested? It seems the question about color vs black is if the car had whitewalls or not. In your pics, what are the cars with whitewalls running? colored or black rims? What about the cars with blackwall tires?