Block #3857656 Need input!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Good question Dave.:scratch I've got a 422 truck block at the shop. It was mounted into the truck with the side mounts. I'll look tomorrow to see if the front motor mount bosses are drilled or not.

bobs409

Administrator
Anyway, I think that the 422 block, like the 656 was used for both car and truck applications.

Thanks Jim. My info on truck stuff is very limited. I wasn't aware this block was used for both car and truck. I guess I better add truck to that block info.

Someone should ask the seller of that engine to give up the front stamp pad code. I notice he didn't mention that with a link to our suffix code page. Probably because it decodes to a truck! :eek:

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Many of these engines went into industrial applications that used the same governor mechanism as the trucks. I saw a 068 block that had truck heads, dist and carb that came from a piece of farm equipment. It would be interesting to see what the head casting numbers are and also the suffix to identify the engine. I think that any of these blocks could show up as a truck engine.

Bill

gearhead409

Well Known Member
looks like a truck motor to me, still has the C80 bellhousing on it. i don't see both right side motor mount holes? the bottom one may have something in it?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, My understanding is that casting numbers for cars and trucks would have the same casting numbers for all years. I think the blocks were cast and then blocks were pulled off the line and were machined with the notch for truck applications. In other words, 1962 = 068 both car and truck,,,,,,,1963 814 =both car and truck,,,,,,etc. etc. If this is not the case, I'm sure someone will correct my understanding of the way things were done.

chevypete2

Supporting Member 4
Block 3857656 need input

I have a 656 w/ no notches, 346 date. Also have a crate truck block, 656, has a 340 hp cam in it. Will have to dig it out.

Attachments

• dcp_4298.jpg
    dcp_4298.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 72
  • dcp_4301.jpg
    dcp_4301.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 73

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pete, picture is of 65 model passenger car block that was cast very late 64 ( see Rockfish explaination) assembled Jan 65 (340hp)

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Jim.Dave,Bill, Ronnie, Bob

the guy selling the truck 409 on ebay has confirmed it has a QD block with 333 heads. looks like they only drilled and tapped the top right hole for the truck motor mount. Note, there are 62 63 64 truck blocks out there. i have seen one 068 and more than one 422 truck blocks.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
It's obvious we have a probably very worn out truck motor. Most were run to death with no oil changes or other maintainence.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
mount holes

Jim SS409 has a truck block that was mounted in the truck with the side mounts...... he is going to check & see if the holes were on the front..... Maybe the General is throwing us a curve ball by mounting some truck engines on the side mounts.

Dave

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I checked and yes, the front bosses were tapped on the 422 truck block. But it was mounted in the truck with passenger car style side mounts. It could be that the front mounts were only used on the larger series of trucks. This engine came out of a fairly small single axle truck, about a 3 ton or so.:dunno

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This thread had me curious so I checked the three 656 blocks that I have. So, for anyone who is keeping track one has a casting date of 85 with NO deck stamping the second has a date of 88 with NO deck stamping and the third is dated 258 with a deck stamping of TIII8 QD. All are truck blocks with the notches machined out and all have the four lower front mounts drilled and tapped.

rabid rat

I have a 656 block that has all the bosses drilled and tapped in the front,it is a car block 365 date code ,TO128JE, has anyone else seen these bosses tapped on a car block? block also has CFD cast into it near date code

Jim G.

Not to add to the confusion, but I have a new GM crate motor with no notches at the cylinders and solid lifters. I tore the engine down to make sure there was no rust inside, it is a brand new 656 car motor.

Jim