Block Baking

1960impala283

Well Known Member
My machine shop no longer has the good old block cleaner that used to remove everything, including the cam bearings. The new "dish washer" does a decent job of cleaning off minor crud. He suggested that I send my 348 blocks out to be baked and bead blasted at a local industrial brake shop. They do the job for $80 and it comes back perfectly clean.

But.... the flathead ford motor that he just had done has cracks in it. Could this be from the baking? What's your thoughts on baking my 409 and 348 blocks? Good / Bad / Ugly idea?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's been the norm for quite a few years now, in Calif it came about due to EPA type restrictions on hot tanks(illegal)

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
All the engines at Jim's shop get the blasted & bake treatment. They get magged there as well. The flathead cracks were probably there before.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
When you guys say blasted how do you clean the inside of the water jackets etc to get the scale etc off
Steve

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bring my blocks to be chemically stripped. Same place you would bring a car body or sheet metal. Blocks come back 100% clean and rust free inside and out.

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I tried the chemically dipped method on a cast iron intake. I got it back clean of grease but black and flakey, all the threads were eaten out of it. I had to have it bead blasted and put helicoils in the carb stud holes. :( The other metal parts came back beautifully clean. Who knows what they dipped it in.:dunno Place went out of business a little while later.

I had a talk with them at the brake shop. They bake it and then it gets shot peened with metal shot to remove any rust. I had a look at the flat head at the machinist and the water jacket wasn't that clean inside. Dipping might be better for that, depending on what they use.:dunno

Thanks for the replies, I am going to take them in and have them baked.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The baking is to remove any and all moisture otherwise some of the media would remain in the block.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Both the shops where I have parts machined use the baking method and the blocks always look like new when they are done.

Bill

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:browI get alot of things baked and beaded. from a frames to blocks and all come out like like brand new metal pieces. My blocks water jackets are all as clean as the outside. The only thing I do is remove all the stud on any piece going into the oven.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
My Guy "LAWRENCE ENGINEERING" Bakes and beads all my stuff also. Everything always comes back looking like new.:bow

Butch:crazy:cheers

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Picked up a pair of blocks and heads from being baked. I'm happy with the results
005-3.jpg

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I noticed something funny about the block on the stand.... holes for power steering are not drilled... 5011 block cast in 58 Hard to use a Hurst mount like that!

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:clap Good looking. I noticed the oil galley plugs are still in the block did you forget or the machine shop to punch them out before the oven?

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I took the blocks to an industrial brake shop to be cleaned. I am going to take them to the machine shop after I debur some of the casting flash. I would hope his glorified dishwasher should get the rest off. I left the cam bearings and main bearings in to protect the surfaces as well for the blasting.

So what temperature do they bake at? I would think if it is too high, that it would distort in some areas. And if it is a high temp and not cooled down properly it could crack.
Wow just looked it up. One site said over 750 degrees. Not cool in my opinion.