Block serial numbers

Sooner66

Just picked up 2 409’s. One has this number T0525QG. 191060. 656 block. It is single 4 barrel, aluminum manifold. The other has no stamping whatsoever? It is 814 block, aluminum manifold, single 4 barrel. 656 manifold is 3814678, 814 manifold is 3844463. I thought I had a 340 hp 63 and a 340 or 400 hp late 64 or 65. Looks like they both may be 400 hp? Any info greatly appreciated, TIA

Sooner66

I haven’t pulled covers yet. Will do that tmro and let you know. The intake numbers on the ID chart come up as both 400 hp, 340 isn’t listed but I guess they are used for both hp applications.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Come to think of it that 656 block can't be qg code for a 65 as all the suffix codes for 65's started with a J like JA for 400hp JB JC JD and so on. Maybe a re stamp idk? Just a thought

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
All car blocks are the same, the only difference is the stamp. Anyone could have put big heads (690 or 583) and intake on it to upgrade it. The good thing is its a car block, remember all car blocks are the same its the heads, pistons, cam, and intake that made them a high horsepower engine. That stamp only tells you what that engine block left the factory as and if it was a manual or auto. Car blocks in 63 were QB, QA, QM, QG, and QC. In 64 they were the same except there was no QM, I think all 65 blocks the codes started with a J.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
You're right. QG is a 340 horsepower Powerglide trans, same block casting as a 400 or a 425 horse motor, just the stamping code was different. The unstamped block could be any of the above. What casting numbers are the heads?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
"All car blocks are the same, the only difference is the stamp."
Most of mine have had the solid area under the oil filler tube like this picture. I had one block that that area was a separate channel and sealed to the bottom of the intake fill hole area. Used motor I bought in high school(Patt -Bill's Speed and Sport in Irving out of his roadster) had a water leak he said was head that he milled and new head gasket-nope leaking sleeve. At leas I got some 690 heads and a Z-11 water pump out of the deal!

Attachments

• 409 oil fill.jpg
    409 oil fill.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 28

Sooner66

The 814 engine has 690 heads and the 656 engine has 583 heads. A member replied to another post about correct carbs, he said 340 hp engines never came with aluminum intakes. These engines, 814 has 3844463 and 656 engine has 3814678.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Now check the dates on the heads and the dates on the blocks and then you’ll know more about what you have. The intakes even have dates on the bottom side after you remove the splash shield!