Blue Suede Cruise Update.

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
An Oklahoma get-together

We race at a 1/8th mile track at Lawton ,OK. called Sooner Motorplex. We have talked to the track managers about having the 348-409.com get together at their track and they are all for it. The pits are not paved but there is a lot of room and they have no problem with people camping. We can join in the local bracket race on Saturday and have our own 348-409 race! Friday night is test & tune and brings out alot of local streetcars and spectators. They will open the track early on Fri. so that you can set up for Fri. night and Saturday.

There are sufficient hotels near the track for those who want creature comforts or a swimming pool.

They will work with us for most anything. What we need from you guys are ideas on dates (a date must be set first), what things you'd like to do that weekend and who would attend. We were thinking about sometime in June (due to the heat) but that's only a suggestion. We have talked to Ronnie and he has given us some great ideas and support. What are your thoughts and questions?

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
clay city

Why don't we try for Clay City, Ky again. It's about 650 miles from me. Lawton, Ok is almost 1500 miles.:eek:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Multiple meetings?

We might be able to pull off multiple meetings, so long as they are not simultaneous. I'm not that far from either KY of from OK, and so long as my schedule allows I might be able to do both.

Personally, I am marking my calendar for Bowling Green because I can head from there to North Carolina just after the event. Kills two birds, so to speak. Just have to have the SS car properly prepped for a Road Trip :).

Oklahoma is also a possibility, but that would depend on my always changing agenda. Late May, early June works best for me there. I bet I could drag my friend James Schrader along for the car ride. He'd love to see Tony's dragster!

Keep the ideas flowing, my guess is we might be able to have several events to choose from, all with different venues (large, small, racing, show).

To the Summer of 2008!

TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Midwest options, anyone?

http://www.musclecarreunion.com/

These are the new Muscle Car Reunion and Nostalgia Drags events held in KC (at Kansas City International Raceway) and Madison, Illinois (just next to St. Louis at Gateway International Raceway). Here's the general link, then you click on either for the color brochure, which I am sure will look good on the wall of your garage:

http://www.musclecarreunion.com/

Both are drag-oriented, and both are NSS events. These are not "fun runs" with the windows down and your arm out the window with no helmet (like Norwalk's Blue Suede Cruise) but the tech inspection is pretty straightforward, and you must wear a helmet. I ran my '62 Belair there (KCIR) last year and had a blast. TomO goes there a lot for his VAMP series.

The Gateway event is set for May 31 - June 2 2008 near St. Louis and the
KCIR event is set for October 3-5 2008.

Last year at the KCIR event they had grudge racing on Firday nights, you can get some runs in, then Saturday begins bracket racing, Sunday qualifiers. At least I think that's how it went. It's pretty well attended. You can probably get 5-6 runs in over the course of the weekend. TomO has more experience than I with these events.

Also note that KCIR International can be leased, and TomO will correct me, but they do have at least one other event over the season. Their calendar on their website is not filled in as yet, but that might be an option. If we were to think about KCIR just to get together and race, TomO might tell us other weekends that work well. The non-event weekends are less populated, and if you really wanted to you could get dozens and dozens of runs in on those weekends :).

Just thought I'd throw out some more options there for all to consider :).

Enjoy!
TomK

P.S. TomO knows the guy who runs the KCIR track, and I know the guys who lease these two tracks for these events. If we wanted to be together, all I would have to do is tell my buddy and he will have ropes set up so we can pull our trailers and haulers in and be together. KC has huge space and is all grass, St. Louis is blacktop. Yes, we can camp right there and show our movies, bench race and drink beer -- er, soda! And both places being adjacent to major cities have hotels and such for those with these preferences.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
TomK - There is a new partner at KCIR - which is a positive thing. Tonight is our VAMP racers meeting so I will know more on the KCIR track schedule. I can say that if a group wanted to be part of our VAMP event and participate in the racing and good time that they are more than welcome.:beerbang

BTW - VAMP has a race in Iowa and one in southern MO.

TomO

smokin59Hrdtp

Hey guys keep me in the loop.....My Dad and I were planning on going to the GoodGuys to meet you all. Now after reading all of this we proably won't. But we are planning on going to the HRR. So I hope to stay in the loop and me all of you!!:cheers