boat starter

Boat

Well Known Member
Anyone have pics of the mini high torque block mount starter...installed. Looking at different options for my boat.

Thanks,

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Boom!

Thinking about using a non-marine starter on your boat?? Be carefull - they are not vapor proof. :doh

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
delco mini gear reduction

Arco racing starters sell this one for around $130.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 133

Boat

Well Known Member
poof, not boom

There is no cover on the motor and the boat is only 14" deep, so not much area for vapor to collect.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
vent on starter

That starter I use has a 2" long rubber vent on the rear/bottom. You could attach to bilge vent with a piece of rubber hose. Are you worried about gas fumes in the lower part of engine bay? Should be cleared with electric blower before start up anyhow.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
147 mph. Heck that's probably fast enough to pull a water skier!:D :roll
Hey Bob, did you say you still had one of those engines? Is that what you're putting in the 63?

Boat

Well Known Member
It's a Lebel 18 flatbottom, pretty similar to the Hondo, except the Hondo's stringers stop at the bulkhead, and the Lebels stringers (4) are full length. The motor is a '63 430Hp 409. I'm thinking of using the mini block starter, a remote water pump, and maybe a cam drive for the alternator...look ma, no belts!

My father inlaw raced till the boat flipped...broke his back(He's fine now). I think I'll stick around 85 for a while. After I break this motor I may stroke it and put those new aluminum heads on...and a blower:p

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
went for a ride

Years ago I went for a ride with a friend in his Sanger Picklefork? Did I get the name right? 460 Ford with Gale Banks twin turbos, jet drive. Seated 4. I swear this boat went over 100 MPH in 6 sec. I can't remember exactly how fast it was, but I had him take me back to the dock after about 10 minutes. White knuckle ride, not much fun on the Fox River. I still tell people how fast this boat was and I can tell they don't believe me.

Boat

Well Known Member
picklejet?

Most pickleforks are V drives, but at one point people put jets on anything...

The only time I've ever been 100mph I was in the back of the camper. Dad had put a 406 nascar motor in the truck. We were going to the river, towing the boat and a 'vette passed us, and dad wanted anther look. So he stepped on it and caught up...a nice lady about 70 driving it. She saw him, grinned and left us. Dad was going to speed up, but he noticed the boat and trailer...flying. Then he did some math (Kids + camper + boat shouldn't equal 100 mph).

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Use a Mercrusier starter it is a ministarter with the stagger mount. I use one on my 58 348. It is a high quality unit and spins the engine great.:) ROY

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Over the edge

Bob, I read these stories about the stuff you did, and think, WOW, that would have been fun. You sound like the kind of guy I would have hung around with. Always liked the boats. One of my heroes growing up was the D stock national champion in outboards. He lived here and also worked for my Dad at Aeronca. He did all the tuning on our outboard.
Then I stop and think, I probably would be dead by now!!!!! Don't know how I survived some of the stuff I did, and it sure wasn't that wild. Having met you at Norwalk, I would have no idea you were into the stuff you did. You must be a Clark Kent and Superman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quite an exciting life you have lived. Kinda glad I DIDN'T know you back then!!!!!!!

Fred

walkerheaders said:
the skiier would usually let go around 47 :roll

147 is not such a big deal when a blown alky hydro goes past you at 190. but going the quarter in 7-1/2 seconds with no seatbelts............priceless. every part of you holds on! and if you get too far from the driver seat..........POOF!!! the chute will rip you out of the boat. or the disconnect would kill the engine and fuel system and throw you over the front. the dashboard was cut away to avoid tearing you off at the knees! in the beginning, i would launch the thing one hand on the wheel and right hand under the seat! exactly why the nitrous button was on left side of steering wheel.
i still have the spare engine (the 470 inch super/stock BBC) and it is in my new 63. when it was dyno'ed in '96 it made 906 hp and can free rev to 8600. have no clue how it will react to 10-1/2" slix.

Boat

Well Known Member
I'm a parrot, just repeating what I was told...maybe the 62 and 63 had same HP at same RPM, but the later cam let it spin a little faster?

Motor is on the stand, the thing is orange with black valve covers, In the attic are some cross rams and moon valve covers. My father inlaw collects things...nice things.

I like the idea of the mercruiser starter. Should be water resistant and explosion proof.

Boat

Well Known Member
Hijack?

A good story is a good story. Who cares where it is?

So here's my plan...so far. Rex marine Makes a direct drive kit for the alternator. Remote water pump, Mercruiser mini starter.

I may get big oil pan with scrapers. And maybe the HEI ignition if whats his name is still talking to us. Remote starter solenoid. Oil pressure sending unit mounted away from the H.O. pump. I have the Nicson exhaust logs. I hope to have something that's nostalgic and contemporary, fast enough for trouble, but dependable.

Any other thoughts?