Bobs garage project pics

bobs409

Administrator
It's been a while but I can finally show some progress on the 2 1/2 car garage project so here are some pics.

Yesterday we got the first wall up! Finally some results. There is no great overwhelming feeling of accomplishment pouring footers or building the perimeter foundation but when the walls start going up, that's when the fun starts! I thought this moment would never get here!

Here are 3 pics. As you can see, this wall will have 2 double hung vinyl windows and I'm considering adding a small window at the top for added lighting as this wall is a gable end and will be about 15' high at the peak. The back wall will be built today and will have no windows, only 1 steel man door at the far right next to existing garage. The front will have (2) 9X7 garage doors with 1 man door (with window) in the center. Future plans are to install a 4 post lift in the left bay. (special "follow the roof line" garage door track will be added to allow the door to stay clear. The right side bay will have a loft space built above it for storage and to maximize the usefulness of space.

I suspect by this time next week, I'll be able to show a full building! While I wish it was a 4 car garage, (no, make that a 10 car garage!) I'm very happy with the plan and know that it's going to be a great building! I've never attempted such a project but know that I will be spending many happy hours in it. Garage measures 28' wide by 26' 4" deep. Looking forward to the day when I don't have to change my oil or install tail pipes while laying on the ground! :mad:

Oh yeh, that last pic is a rare one. My 69 stepside actually doing some work! (it's more of a cruiser than a worker) :p She handled those 14 sheets of OSB just fine though! :D

Attachments

• 100_2195.jpg
    100_2195.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_2197.jpg
    100_2197.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_2192.jpg
    100_2192.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 153

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Bob,

Your garage is coming together nicely. We won't tell anyone that the PU actually knows how to work:)

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob It looks great. That first wall gives you a real sense of something is finally showing. The only thing I would suggest is if you ever will have a trailer and you want to put it inside, go with either one big door or go wider on the single doors. Sky lights will give you a bunch of free light also.Keep up the good work. Bob

Astro409

Well Known Member
Its looking good. The more you advance, the more you'll want to keep working on it. It should be finished in no tme.:beerbang

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I agree with Bob, if you have the room, go with at least one 10'x10' overhead door. That dimension will just give you enough room to squeeze a car hauler through. You will need it!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looking good!

Bob, your project is coming along nicely :).

The clearing and the foundation work are thankless (but important!), but you're right -- seeing that first wall go up really makes you feel great. Just a tip, the framing goes quickly, but the details of wiring, plumbing, and such really take their toll (and cost a lot as well).

We are so looking forward to you completing the project!

Cheers!
TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Looking good!:beerbang You'll be amazed how much easier it is to get your projects done once you've got a nice shop. I also agree with the other guys on the garage doors. Sometimes one big door is better than two small ones.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
threeimpalas said:
Why no concrete foundation and slab? Is this going to be primarily just a storage garage?

Yes, my thoughts too.
I was wondering why there were no footings in the photos.
Here in Minnesota, codes are very strict. The footings need to be inspected and approved before any walls go up. my garage floor was poured after the structure was put up, but has the correct footings down past the frost line, and block foundation all around.
can you build a garage in PA without foundation??

bobs409

Administrator
I was waiting for someone to ask this. LOL :D

We did what would typically be done with a pole building in this area. I have no codes to worry about here. :brow There will be no inspections either so we pretty much can do as we like since it's only a garage and not a living space.

The building sits on 16 concrete piers rather that the typical foundation system. This saved a ton of money for ol' Bob-O. We rented a 2 man auger and bored 8 inch holes in the dirt down below frost line. (ranging from 32-46 inches deep depending on what we hit) Over the holes, I built small forms so that when finished, a 3 1/2" X 6" rectangle of concrete was left at the top for the sill to sit on. We built a box beam to go on top of the piers and once all of those were installed, the walls were set on those. The box beam consists of a 2X4 pressure treated sill laying flat with (2) 2X6's standing upright on that and a 2X4 top.

The concrete slab will be done next year and will float in the center. It will not go under the box beam so that any possible lifting of the floor will not disturb the building if that should occur. We will put crushed stone under the sill areas for drainage to keep the sill plate dry.

Got alot done in the past 2 days expecially since we put a double shift in the day before last. Today we start the rafters. Other than the gable end and a small wall in the rear corner to meet the back of the garage, the sides are completely done.

Some of you mentioned going with larger doors or one large single door. I considered many options on that but felt that the two 9X7's were acceptable and the best in terms of cost. I won't need to put anything in the garage that can't get through them. They are insulated and cost $308 each.

After today's ordeal, I get 3 days off and I can use them! I'm getting worn out! :eek:

I suspect by next week, weather permitting, this thing should have a completed shingled roof and windows installed. The doors will be next followed by house wrap. That's where we will stop for this year although I am considering getting the electrical out of the way yet too.

I wanted to complete the exterior with the vinyl siding but we decided to do the whole house and existing garage so to be sure they will all match in color, we are holding off 'till spring.

I'm already thinking of the heating system and I am looking into radiant floor heat. I heard I could run that from a small hot water heater! Will need to look into that further though...

Here's a pic:

Attachments

• 100_2209.jpg
    100_2209.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 117

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Pole garage

Bob, I was thinking "pole barn approach" as well. I looked into that here, but being in the city, they were asking for engineering plans that addressed things like "wind shear" and "snow load" and such. I gave up and went conventional :(.

I've investigated radiant heat and made the purchase but not the installation. Fatride did it in his new space. He used an industrial boiler. My plans are to try a basic hot water heater and see how that works. They're cheap, and the use is ocassional, not commercial. Can always be used elsewhere and I can upgrade if need be. I understand it's more "response time" than BTUs or volume of water.

The framing sure looks good, and we all hope you get her under wraps and populated with cars soon :). I'm gonna recommend you get that 63 Chevy in there and pop a "W" in it this winter :).

BTW, I used what we call around here "waste lime" over some 2 inch rock to make up a hard flooring surface for a storage unit. Works good, is inexpensive and packs hard, especially if watered down. And you can rake it, sweep it, and keep it reasonably clean. Just not good for moving jacks and heavy stuff on wheels around. Although I did lift the body off a 61 Impala on the stuff :).

Cheers!
TomK

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob:

We just built a large wastewater plant using similiar design principals for the slab'flooring that you did. You're pure genious:roll

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks but I can't take any credit for it as my carpentry/engineering skills are limited. My brother is the brains of this operation. I tell him what I'm looking for in the building and he comes up with the most economical/easy way of making it happen. :D

Yesterday we got the large beam in that will support the loft space floor. The ridge beam is in and a few rafters but nothing worth showing right now. Work picks up again on Monday and by Wednesday of next week, I should be able to show a shingled roof!

I'm going to go add up my receipts now. :eek: :eek: :eek:

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't total expenses

Bob, that isn't a good thing to do. I never want to know how much I have spent on something, especially a restoration. Might scare the heck out of you !!!!!!!!!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Bob's Garage

Hey Bob
Nice work.......it's great to see a project coming together........:clap
You'll love being inside with your favorite 'W' when the wind is
blowing out side.........:D

:cheers
bj

bobs409

Administrator
Well I got some bad news on the garage doors. Looks like the ones I have will be going back! :bang

I bought Wayne Dalton brand doors and they have a funky torsion bar spring setup that I just found out will not work with the high lift/follow the roofline track I will need for the left door. (to clear a 4 post car lift later)

At least Lowes has a 90 day return policy. (although I don't look forward to lugging these 4 huge boxes back in!) :cuss

Now the search is on for replacements...