Body stress cracks

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Both of the 63’s that I’ve owned were both cracked…… bought my first car when I was 16 from my older brother ….I didn’t know anything about the cars or the X frame then….. I bought my second car when I was about 35 (no excuse except for the fact that I bought it under less than desirable conditions and I didn’t have a bright flashlight ….. yes they disguised it by painting everything black) both of my impala‘s also had the single control arm for the rear differential ripped from the kick up and Both of the saddle plates had been broken and chickenshit welded back together

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Mine was cracked also. Body mounts rear of tire collapsed. I welded a piece of sheet metal under crack across both sides of crack and then welded crack closed into metal underneath.I fail to understand how slamming door could split the metal from inside out because it would move quarters section in ,not pulling out.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
next time you see a t-top buick gn look at the pillar post to the t top...always cracks when using drag radials...

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
Convertible top pinch weld moldings crack at the same spot. I have never seen an original 61-64 convertible where the moldings didn't crack. In fact they crack and break in two so often unknowledgeable types think they are supposed to be a two piece molding. So it must be a stress point even with the convertible's extra body mounts. The pinch weld moldings for these cars are very expensive as you know. Repaired sets go for $1500.00 or more. I have only seen one original convertible pinch weld molding that was not cracked in all my years working on these cars.

427John

Well Known Member
Just read where two door sedans don't crack. Slamming the door on ht i guess would be logical since not reinforced as much as sedan.
I was going to ask if 2 door sedans did it too or if it was a hardtop only thing,if its hardtop only that would be my guess a lack of a B pillar and perimeter frame allows some flex there.I'm sure everybody has seen second gen F-bodies with a kinked roof between the side window and rear window,I've seen that happen from going over railroad tracks too fast.

Rondecurtins

Well Known Member
Could one of you show a picture of the pinch weld on a convertible 62. I have looked at my car and cannot see any problem.