Body stress cracks

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
Could one of you show a picture of the pinch weld on a convertible 62. I have looked at my car and cannot see any problem.
Its the pinch weld moldings that crack not the pinch weld itself. The stainless steel snap moldings that you use to snap the cover on when the top is down. They crack and break in two about 6 inches from the end near the quarter window.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Could one of you show a picture of the pinch weld on a convertible 62. I have looked at my car and cannot see any problem.
The answer on 61-64 impala pinch weld stainless is that GM made all 1961-1963 pinch weld chrome as 2 piece moldings by welding them togehter in the last 6 inches by the rear 1/4 glass. Some time in 63 into 64 they made the each pinch weld trim piece in one piece "without the butt welds".
What I mean is that GM butt welded the last 6 inches of the pinch weld on each side by the rear 1/4 windows(snap ring trim is another name). These butt welded pieces "cracked or even broke off on some 61-64 convertible cars "at the butt welded location". You cannot see this butt welding without removing the pinch weld trim from the car.....

I have had two sets of this 61-64 pinch weld stainless welded in the last 3 years. Its very difficult to fix(re-weld) these butt welds(on the bottom side of the trim) so the stainless can be polished on the top side.
It cost me about $ 200 to have the butt welded trim stainless welded to save the trim. It cost another $ 400 to $500 to have the pinch weld polished removing the welding imperfections and polishing the stainless and removing and replacing the snaps .....................

As has been stated about "Show Detailed" stainless pinch weld (or snap ring stainless) is expensive over $ 1000 (including removal and replacement of al the snaps on the trim.....). Used unrestored 1961-1964 pinch weld stainless can be over $ 700 for a pair or even more..

I have a set of this pinch weld trim on my 62 Impala SS convertible( I think its from 1963 or 1964 convertible) and its is not butt welded on the last 6 inch section by the rear 1/4 glass.
I have owned and restored at least 6 sets of this pinch weld trim and sometimes the butt welded trim has to be repaired.
Body flex may have contributed to the cracks in the pinch weld 6 inches from the end but I think the butt welds are not holding and the stainless cracks or the pieces break off.....Check Ebay and you will see pinch weld sold without the ends and with the last 6 inch ends broken off.

When removing the pinch weld from a convertible you "can crack" the pinch weld trim "at the butt weld locations" on both sides.

If your trim on your convertible is not cracked at the butt weld(last 6 inches) "I would not worry about it". "If it should crack you are going have to "stainless weld it" and then polish it at the welds and the entire pinch weld to match the shine on it.

Paul