borg-warner T-10 main case casting

Well Known Member
Hi to all 409ers I need some of your help.I want to purchase this borg-warner main case with a casting ( T10-1C ) and it has a built date WH1022.Was this main case used on 409 dual quad passenger cars built in augest of 1962 or was it used only on corvettes,or was the (T10D-1) main case used.I have a 1963 Impala with a 409 dual quad 425hp with a built date of (08C) third week of augest 1962.It's very important because I want the correct part.:dunno

M

MK IISS

The T10-1C was used in 1961-62 Corvettes...'61 409s...1962 Corvettes and 1962 409s, '62 327s in the passenger cars. According to Alan Colvin's CBTN book 1963 Chevy passanger cars & Corvettes, 327s & 409s, used the T10D-1. Maybe there was an overlap..that is... the very early '63s used the T10-1C. I'm not sure...maybe Tommy knows.

Well Known Member
I haven't checked to see if the vin is low or high,but what I really want to know is was this main case (T10-1C) used on the early 409 passenger cars,does anybody know for sure. If it was used I will buy that (T10-1C) main case.:doh :dunno

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Just a suggestion

Here in Missouri, we have a guy we call "Mr. FourSpeed", Wayne Eupers. He does all of mine (now three T-10s). I once visited his place of work (garage out behind the house) and I bet he has a thousand T-10s and Muncies. If you are looking to find a "near exact" match I bet he could get you started. I know he sells complete rebuilt 4 speeds, not sure if he sells parts.

Just let me know and I'll dig his number up.

Cheers,
TomK

M

MK IISS

63409:

I believe I have your answer.

WG (Warner Gear) started assembling 4-spds with the T10D-1 case in June 1962 in preparation for the '63 model year.

"No legit '63 has been found yet with a T10-1C case."

The above information is from a well respected Chevrolet historian.

Well Known Member
Please if you can give me his phone number I will buy a complete T-10 BW transmission if he can find me one that's a close match.Thankyou.

Well Known Member
Thanks MkIISS for the answer that I'v been looking for,at least now I have a better idea of what I'm going to buy.Thanks thats great information.

M

MK IISS

Thanks for the kind words Fred, but actually I have a good and special friend who knows his stuff.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
T-10

I have a T-10 BW that I bought in 1967. Its a close ratio 2:20-1. The guy I got it from told me it was out of a 60 or 61 348 car. Not positive about the year, it was too long ago. The numbers on it are, T-10 7D 3813490 R-1 (on tailshaft housing) T-10 1B and G 15 on main case. It came with a Hurst shifter and white knob for $125.00. I thought it was a good deal, till I installed it, and it snapped out of third gear all the time. Oh, I forgot to mention, it has a Chevy emblem machined into the tailshaft housing. Skip:)

Well Known Member
Tom thanks for the phone # of Wayne Eupers transmission service.I called Wayne two days ago and he called me back today,he said that he has the correct complete borg-warner T10 transmission with the correct main case casting (T10D-1) but the date casting is Nov 1962 and my 63 impala has a built date,third week of Augest 1962.I don't know what I'm going to do but if I can't find the correct date casting for the main case or complete transmission I guess I'll call him back.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Close, but...

Glad to learn that Wayne had someting close, but wish it were EXACTLY what you were looking for. I have one date January 1962, but it's in a working vehicle. Hope you get what you are looking for!

Best,
TomK

Well Known Member
Thanks Tom for replying to my thread,it's members like you that make this forum the best.Thankyou everybody.