Borgeson steering box

Helo68

I’ve read through a few post on here about the Borgeson box and I’m considering returning it to Summit and starting over with the Global West bump steer eliminator kit. I cannot believe they’ve made this Borgeson kit for so long and have not ironed out the issues with it. The bolts through the box into the frame bracket were too long and hit my frame rail leaving a gap. I added one washer to each bolt and not the bracket sits flush against the frame but the angle on the steering u joint will be at 35-45 degrees at least. Just wondering if anyone thinks I’m being overly critical or if the smart thing to do is pony up for that Global West kit.

Attachments

• IMG_6979.jpeg
    IMG_6979.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6978.jpeg
    IMG_6978.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6977.jpeg
    IMG_6977.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6976.jpeg
    IMG_6976.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6969.jpeg
    IMG_6969.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6970.jpeg
    IMG_6970.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 34

wristpin

Well Known Member
I understand you are going to return the Borgeson but if you fabbed up a different spacer plate for the angle required would that eliminate spacing and angle problem?

Helo68

I understand you are going to return the Borgeson but if you fabbed up a different spacer plate for the angle required would that eliminate spacing and angle problem?
That would work. Only other issue I have read in the instructions is about the tie rods not being long enough and then you have to grind 4 flats in the pitman arm. Just seems like a bit of a mess compared to the global west kit?

Helo68

That's why I use the CPP 500 box this year fit perfectly on the frame and cleared my 4 core radiator.
Any issues with how it steers? Is it holding up ok? Only reason I ask is CPP has been questionable in the past with some
Of their Chinese made items such as control arms, steering columns etc. I do run their big brake kit on my Chevelle and no complaints there.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I just swapped out my 605 for the CPP 500 ,the 500 bolted directly to frame all though I had clearance issue with the 3 core radiator (ALUM. aftermarket}. Had a problem with the twitchy steering at high speeds with the 605, a pressure reducer kit may have cured it but I found a deal on a 500 and it is great so far ,feels like it should .

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Eliminate the bumpsteer with complete global west kit. All these cars had bumpsteer. .Only or any gear box change is a band aid to driveability issue. You may have correct gear box already as I did. But you need to verify that when ordering. You can order just the remaining kit if so. You will get a new mounting plate for the gear box which corrects angle and forward and aft position. I noticed that sway bar you have may or not work with global west kit as they sell a correct sway bar with kit. You will have to use a notched radiator to clear gear box in case you wasn't expecting that I can tell you with experience this kit is the way to go. Been there done that.

Last edited:

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Any issues with how it steers? Is it holding up ok? Only reason I ask is CPP has been questionable in the past with some
Of their Chinese made items such as control arms, steering columns etc. I do run their big brake kit on my Chevelle and no complaints there.
No trouble at all, the only thing I had to get used to was the tighter road feel of the new box. The car stays straight and does not wander all over the road like my 605 box did. I did have one small leak but that was my hose end not sealing well but now it's fixed. Our car drives so much better then before.