Bought a 61 Bubbletop

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nope, not a Chevy, it's a Canadian Pontiac.
As many of you know Canadian Pontiacs had more in common with Chevy's than they did with Pontiacs. They sat on a Chevy chassis and had Chevy engines. This particular car has an in line six but the 283 and 348 were also available.
Here's a picture of the car but it's mostly hidden by the 60 Pontiac.

field__driveway_of_dreams_012.jpg

Here's a picture from Aubrey's site of one that he restored a few years ago.

pic-m.jpg

Right now we're waiting for one of Bob Walla's blocks to build a new engine for the 55. The engine that's in the 55 now will go into the Pontiac and the other Jim that's partners with me on the 55 will race the Bubbletop. No more lounging in the pits with a rum and Coke for him.:beerbang:roll:roll:roll
We're thinking about keeping the car licensed for occasional street use as well.

The car was relatively cheap but it's relatively rough:cry so it's going to get a complete frame off overhaul. It's difficult to find body panels for these cars and chrome trim is also a problem so rather than replace damaged side trim we might remove it all together and go with the cleaner look that Pontiac used on their 62 Grand Prix's. (the 62 Grand Prix's weren't Bubbletops but the body was similar to the 61's) We haven't decided on a color yet but red looks pretty good.:scratch

Leslie_62G.jpg

We're flying to Winnipeg tomorrow and the plan is to drive this thing home. It's almost 1,300 miles so were going to bring some tools and spare parts.:D

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
nice score! Sounds like a great plan for the car also! 1300 miles for the drive home? WOWZAs. You like to have fun don't ya :roll

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
WOW............you guys are having too much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW.........just curious............what did Winston's plane ticket cost???????????:dunno:dunno:dunno:roll:roll:roll:roll

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well Jim, that does it, Marcia and I will have to make another road trip this summer just to see the new Poncho! :beerbang

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Way to go Jim !!!! I knew that partner Jim would eventially race something someday after seeing that big grin on his face at Norwalk after he made a pass in your 55. Let the fun begin. :beerbang

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well Jim, that does it, Marcia and I will have to make another road trip this summer just to see the new Poncho! :beerbang

Yeah, come on up!:beerbang

Phil, Winston's not coming, he's in training for Thompson.:beerbang

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Congrats to both Jim and Jim!

Hey, that is great news!

You probably know I absolutely love the look of all the 1961 Sport Coupes, and the Pontiac to me is the best looking :). OK, I have a soft spot for the 1961 Chevy, but I also like the Poncho version from that year. You might remember I have an ongoing body off project with a 1961 Bonneville, which is the stretched version of what your car is. Looks like yours is the one that is comparable to the U.S. version of the Catalina or the Ventura. Not sure exactly what the Canadian counterparts are (Parsienne, etc.)

I had thought about slipping a "W" in my Poncho, but I've got this nicely built dual quad Pontiac 428 stroker on the stand in the basement, so plans are to go with that engine. Might use the automatic trans as well. This will not be a race car, more like a tow car :).

So, congrats on the new acquisition, bring some pics to Ohio so I can give the other Jim a hard time about having such a great car!

Cheers!
TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It's good to see someone else working on three projects at the same time. Hope to see pictures soon.

Bill

I'm hoping to take some pictures on the way home.
Once we get it back here I think we'll just park it until we get the Mack done. I haven't even seen the 55 since we parked it last fall. I'm hoping to just drain the anti freeze, add some water and go racing. We'll see how that plan works out.:scratch

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom, this is a Parisienne and you're right, it has the same wheelbase as the Catalina or Ventura. It's also the same as an Impala. The Parisienne is the top model so I think the trim resembles the Bonneville.
Anyway, 61 Pontiacs are pretty hard to find around here.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice car Jim, I like those in 60,61, and 62. I'll keep an eye out for 61 parts. Is that a Laurentian?

Don

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Nice car Jim.. Bring photo's to Thompsn:D
Are you planning any racing near the MD. area this summer? Got a friend who is older than me and would love to see the "phantom" in action. He doesn't travel well.
robert

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim-

Is the body the same as the 61 ventura? If so, I still have the body that I cut the bubbletop roof off of. Let em know if you need anything and I can bring it to Thompson for you.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"this is a Parisienne and you're right, it has the same wheelbase as the Catalina or Ventura. It's also the same as an Impala. The Parisienne is the top model so I think the trim resembles the Bonneville.
Anyway, 61 Pontiacs are pretty hard to find around here."

I guess this answers my question......apparently they didn't build the Canadain Pontiac in a model with the 121" wheelbase like the american made Bonneville. The Chevrolet Impala used the 119" wheelbase so it's easy to see how they could use that frame under the shorter model Pontiac but I always wondered if they lenghtened the X frame or what for the top of the line model.

And.....you are correct when you say '61 Pontiac's are hard to find, it took me over 10 years to find mine.

Congrats, Jim !:cheers

I've had a few of those cars. Here on the prairies, they're a lot easier to find. It's a good idea to make sure it's a prairie car though. East and west can get rusty.

I can see it now... a stroker 348, with a stick:deal

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice find Jim.:beerbang I know you can't see much of the car in that picture but it sure dosn't look rough from what you can see. Have you sen this car up close:dunno Ken

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice car Jim....... the Pontiac's are very cool........ I had a chance at one about a year ago but about all that was salvageable was the roof. It had been outside in a wrecking yard for years & years.......

Dave

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Jim

Congrats. Very nice choice. Sounds like a good plan regarding the engine too!

Will there be "lettering" for the Poncho??

Ron