boxing control arms

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
does it make sense to box the rear upper control arms when you have 2 uppers? Or should I just box the lowers? :dunno

boxing control arms and reinforcment is for lowriders
with hydraulics thats the only reason i personnally would box any of the arms

and by running 2 bananna bars / upper control arms did you remove the panhard bar ?
my personal preference is to use a wishbone set up instead of the 2 bananna bars , either way the panhard bar is pointless when you do that

just wondering your reason for boxing them and running 2 uppers
no trying to be smart just wondering

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you use 2 banana bars on top in their original position, you still need a panhard bar because the upper bars are not at enough angle to properly hold the rear axle in place side to side. I thought upper bars needed to be 30-40 degrees outward, like the A body stuff.:dunno

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'l be running 2 stock uppers with an adjustable panhard bar. I want the 2 uppers for strength overall once the car sees some track time :clap:brow

62409wagon

Well Known Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you use 2 banana bars on top in their original position, you still need a panhard bar because the upper bars are not at enough angle to properly hold the rear axle in place side to side. I thought upper bars needed to be 30-40 degrees outward, like the A body stuff.:dunno

correct, Yes you still need a panhard bar. :nono1:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If the car sees track time, yes I would box the uppers and lowers. Polyurethane bushings is a good idea also. Panhard bar should be retained.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
definately need the panard bar. the upper arms run straight forward. a wishbone is another option if the panard is in the way, but kinda complicated, and not neccesary. i would also recommend you brace the upper control arm crossmember.

you guys with the slang terms for rearend parts crack me up. I'm picturing a couple kids ordering at the icecream truck........"i'll have a jackpot and a chunk, he wants a hogshead, she'll have a pumpkin.....and OH, we need some banana bars. :roll

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I decided to box the lowers, not the uppers. I'll brace the control arm cross member as well with a plate