Brake spindle

albjerryg

Well Known Member
I have a 1960 Impala and want to convert the front to disc brakes. I have been trying to remove the bolt that holds the brake cylinder and no luck it has a short sholder and make it hard to keep the wrench on it. Any suggestions???? Thanks jerry
Brakes.jpg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I don’t remember that’s why I’m asking….. does that bolt go through to the spindle…..?……Or just into the backing plate……?…… if it doesn’t go through to the backing plate I’m sure you won’t be using the backing plate for your new disc brakes so is it necessary to remove it…….And if you’re not trying to save anything if you can cut the head of the bolt off remove the part and expose the shank of the bolt even easier

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Goes into spindle.... Take the wrench on box end and grind flat to remove bevel so wrench gets a deeper grip. Can do wth deep socket also .I did that to a deep socket Then used impact wrench . Breakover bar works too. You might not like doing that to a snap on wrench!!

Last edited:

albjerryg

Well Known Member
It goes thru to the spindle. I tried the 6 point deep socket with braker bar no luck. I guess the only thing left is heat. Thanks Jerry

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It goes thru to the spindle. I tried the 6 point deep socket with braker bar no luck. I guess the only thing left is heat. Thanks Jerry
Grind the socket flat on end taking inside bevel off will grab nut deeper. If its rounded off now by slipping take small pipe wrench on round portion with cheater pipe over pipe wrench .

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Oh forgot to mention some have a tin washer behind that you have to take a chisel to peel the locking tabs away from nut.

Reactions: 327

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
After you get that bolt off don't forget to take the inner bearing race of the spindle, it's still on there

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
After you get that bolt off don't forget to take the inner bearing race of the spindle, it's still on there
Removing hub removes inner bearing and grease seal as a assembly. Inner race is inside hub on inner bearing. That inner raised portion on spindle is where grease seal rides.

Reactions: 327