Breaking news,Gasser Reunion.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I''ll be going to Norwalk. I get a little worried because it is such a popular track [30 minutes from my house] that on a typical "test and tune" nite you might get 3 passes in all evening, in fact they call you up to the staging lanes by the number on your car, odd or even. If the track just does a gasser only weekend and eliminates the regular weekend classes this would be a great weekend for the gassers and the 409 group, if not the track would be PACKED and probably not very many runs. If its not too early maybe Ray can find out what kind of schedule they have planned for the weekend.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm guessing they'll try to keep this a completely nostalgia event and not run their regular weekend race series but it couldn't hurt to check.:scratch

I'm willing to give Norwalk a try.:deal
We know the Gasser group and they're willing to work with us. They've said we can have a designated 348/409 parking area. The track has lots of room and good facilities. The only potential problem is that they may get a lot of cars and that would cut back on the number of runs we could make. If the car count stays similar to Thompson, it should be fine.

I'm on board with whatever the group decides but as Ray said, we need to make a decision as soon as possible in order to get the ball rolling.
If we can make a commitment soon, we should make it into the track website and event posters and we'll have lots of time to get the word out so. This years event should be bigger and better than last year.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am in for Norwalk, my brother, Len Woodrow, plus two more cars. I would say count on 3-4 of the 5 racing.

Kevin Quik9r

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Norwalk

Ray,
You will have to count OUT the Wully Bully cars. We have other commitments for the holiday weekend. We would love to come back for another get- together!
Steven

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thompson Raceway Park.

Since we have not formally accepted the Gassers invitation as yet, I have taken the liberty to Email the owner/manager of Thompson Raceway Park and asked them if they could offer us a three day event for the 409 shoot-out. Let's see what they can offer our group! It is my opinion that it would take a hell of a meet to beat the Gassers offer but since it was the Thompson management that put the 409 shoot-out with the Gassers in the first place I thought we owed them the opportunity to make a bid.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Jim, put me on the list for show....... as long as I can get time off work I'm going to drive the Impala ........ better not race it because I have to drive her home.

Dave

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Ray,
I understand several of the gasser's crowd are not happy with the move, either. Maybe the management at Thompson can put their own nostalgia event together, with just pre-65 or so, include a gasser class, the 348-409 reunion, and maybe an open class. We would love to come out for that!! Try mid- June? Just so they make it a 2 or 3 day event, without a regular race day.
Steven

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Our opinion

Thompson, last year, was without a doubt a great time and was a good mix being with the gasser group. We don't have a clue why the gassers would change from Thompson to Norwalk but that's their business. We were never treated well at Norwalk and in our opinion since it has gone to being sanctioned by NHRA, things have gotten even worse there. We think it's naive to believe that over a holiday weekend the only racing that would be done there would be by the gasser group and us. It would be our guess that you would see other exhibitions such as jet cars, wheel standers and maybe even some professional nitro cars. Norwalk is first and foremost, run as a business, to make money, putting together programs that would draw the most spectators. It's our belief that the racers come second. 409s and the gassers were a good mix - no question about it but it's not the only mix that could work. We should move slowly and gather all the information possible to make the best decision for our group.

Tony and Bonnie

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Steve
422 motorsports seem to be a good group when they ran down here at US 13. Steve do they go as far west as Thompson.. I was watching the spectators line the rails when they ran. Of, Charlie was at his best in his promoter's hype that afternoon, especially when the MacKenzies ran a guy with a tribute 421 Tempest. I think both dialed in 8.90's and the crowd was buzzing after that run.
robert

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Robert,
As far as I know, the 422 guys don't travel anywhere unless money is involved. Carl, Allen and I are all associate members of the Midwest Nostalgia Super Stock Association, whom we ran with at Norwalk in 2007. They put on a really good show also. They are the group that runs the super stock class at Indy for the Good Guys. They would be a possible for an event at Thompson. I think the best scenerio right now is what Ray suggested, contact Thompson and see what their opinion and interest is. If an event could be put together for a non-holiday weekend, it should work well. One of our gasser friends said hotels for Norwalk were $180./night over the 4th, and that was with a great discount!
Steven

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Options

I just got off the phone with the track manager at Thompson Raceway Park. He says that Thompson is going to have their own race, The "Nostalgia nationals" He is going to keep me informed and include us in the plans if we want, and I do want to be included. I have been getting phone calls from of the 409 Teams and racers that are opposed to going to Norwalk because of scheduling and cost associated with Norwalk. I am leery about the Norwalk event myself as far as getting track time for our group. The track manager at Thompson had to agree with the Gasser management team that the Gasser meet was getting to big for Thompson. Seems that there is not enough paved pit area for the gasser meet. If it rained at Thompson for a few days before the meet it would be a mess in the grassy areas. This doesn't mean that we can't be included at Norwalk with the gassers if you all want but gives us options. There is more info on the "Nostalgia Nationals" in Cruisin Times magazine. There are always problems associated with dealing with a smaller track such as pit area and mud if it rains but with all this in mind I still think Thompson is our best bet!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Norwalk sounded pretty good at first but the holiday weekend sounds like a problem. ( traffic, expensive lodging an quite a few guys with prior commitments )

If we can work something out with Thompson, that might be better. Does Thompson have a date in mind yet?

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just recieved an E-Mail from a friend of mine.He pointed out the hotels at Norwalk are probably double the rates that we paid at the Thompson area.Other factor is a Holiday weekend,rates tend to be jacked up for that as well. Once agian,I'll go wherever(I like Thompson though,I also like the gasser mix)),but lets take some time and put some imput into this thing together, so that it works out for everone,and is a successful outing.Ray,I really appreciate all that you"ve done so far.John

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ray,I really appreciate all that you"ve done so far

A toast to Ray........ :cheers

Thanks for all the effort that every one of our members have put into this and for what you all did for us last year. I really think we should support Thompson Raceway. I'm definately not an expert on the subject of tracks especially the ones in the east.

Lets remember:
1) Thompson appears to be the little guy here and needs support if the track is going to survive........ just as the hotels, restaurants, service stations etc. in Thompson can use the business. Let's support a town and race track that is not in it just for the money.
2) There were a few issues last year but it was the first gathering there. They didn't know what to expect and have already agreed to make everything right this year......... even before the Gasser's changed tracks.
3) I never heard anyone complain about hotels, restaurants, or anything about the area. I think it was all good, Thompson was a great place to visit. The rooms were reasonable and I was never dissapointed with a meal.
4) Our racers had all the track time they wanted with an event that they are now saying was to big for them. If it's a little smaller event this year everything will be nothing but better.
5) All of the racers were impressed with the track
6) It's to damn far for a lot of us, but where ever it is we will face that issue for our group........ I am pretty sure I was the one who travelled the farthest last year but will do the trip to Thompson again in a heartbeat........ If I can bring the car I will but if not I'll fly as last year.
7) If we can get the same support from our group as we did last year this event will continue to grow. With the write up we got in Super Chevy, the word is really out there now and there will be more cars and more people. If we continue to work with Thompson I think we can make it as big as the Gasser event in time with our 409 cars being the main draw/event. We did great last year but there are a lot of 409 guys out there that didn't know it was happening.
8) If we change tracks we will loose everything that we learned from last year and I really don't believe that we ....... with 40 cars..... will be treated nearly as well at any new track at a larger meet.
9) This is about "our 409 Shootout/Gathering"...... lets work with Thompson and turn it into one of the events of the season in the 1/4 mile world.

Dave

dynoray

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thompson

Yes,i agree totally! let's if we can get the Thompson thing going.the same date in June sounds good and if we can get the Midwest super stocks there as well as gassers,we would have a real nice event.i'm sure they will get an area for show cars etc. I will not be able to do July 4th as we have things going on as well.the traffic around here at the shore is a nightmare,and getting away to travel from my area is awefull.Norwalk is a great place,but the 4th weekend is tough for some.maybe we should get a rough idea who is interested in going to Thompson in June?...Ray.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
BREAKING NEWS,Gasser Reunion

I agree with Jim, Ray,John and Dave we as a group should be part of a
Nostalgia National program at Thompson.
Let Ray continue the dialog with the track. plus get a firm
commitment from the 348- 409 group for support.
what ever issues that transpired last year can be worked out.
I'm for a total effort in "GET ER DONE" and locked down.
Allen