broken exhaust manifold can it be welded?

rafs409

Well Known Member
Hey everyone I need some info. I have a high performance exhaust manifold casting 3822925 and it broke while installing it to the exhaust pipe. One of the ears where the bolt is threaded into broke off :bang . I need to know can it be welded and work? I didnt even get to tighten it that much and it broke. Do the manifolds get weak with age. What happend was there was never a nut on that bolt on that ear and I bought one and was installing it and bearly snugged it up then turned it about a quarter turn and snap. Let me know if there is anything I can do. If I can't fix it how much do these exhaust manifold run.

thanks,
Rafael :cry

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Cast Iron Welding

Rafael,
Don't despair. IT can be fixed, no problem. However , properly welding cast iron is a science and you have to have specialized equipment to do it. IE You can't weld it cold. There are number of shops that specialize in this.

Grab a copy of Hemmings Motor News and
look under "SERVICES"

Personally, When I need cast iron parts repaired, I use :

Ed's Performance
5550 Hwy 277 South
Abilene, Texas 79606
(325) 692-5261

http://edsmachine.com/

TOP QUALITY WORK! and fair pricing too!!!!

Good Luck!
Rock :cool:

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, as stated, it can be repaired. One of mine is repaired. The gumball that put on my exhaust tried to 'tweek' the exhaust pipe with it attached to the manifold. I had told them that they are very thin castings and break easily! Some idiots just have to find out for themselves! :stooges

Actually most places braze cast iron and don't actually weld it.

SteveD

rafs409

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone know of any shops in Northern California (san Jose) area.

Rafael

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
Attention rafs409 I am in Castro Valley and have had a similar repair done locally in Hayward, still holding three years later. Also had a 690 head repaired in Oakland five years ago with great results. Send me a pm with a contact number and we can talk, I will also send you a pm, good luck, Larry.