broken rear end caps

No409

Supporting Member 1
any repair for this? i recently bought a lot of center sections, and some have broken caps( mostly the p cases) tried to swap on off a different rear end, but threads didnt line up for the threaded thingy( techincal term)

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would think a machine shop could install some used ones by align boring and re-drilling the used caps if needed similar to installing new main caps on a block, but it would get costly.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As far as I know you gotta scrap them. I had a couple broken ones here and best I could find was it was waaaay too costly to repair. No need to buy P cases anymore unless for a restoration. Modify the peg legger, install a GM or Eaton posi with Aubrey's bearing caps and call it a day. I've bought complete peg legs from Jefferson swap meet for $10

Typically takes a couple hours. Need to evenly grind the outer radius surface and file flat the bolt mating surface of the factory cap, so the girdle fits over top with a bit of an "interference", so it clamps over top.
Bolt together the stock cap and girdles, using the supplied bolts, and 1/2" coarse nuts.
Drill through the locking tab bolt hole, from the inside of the stock cap, drilling a new hole through the girdle, using a 17/64" bit.
run a 5/16" coarse thread tap through from the inside of the stock cap.
The longer locking tab bolts will go through the girdle and cap, locking them together.
When assembling, I fill the trough ( recessed groove 0 in the stock cap, with JB Weld.
When done, the assembly is essentially one piece.
There has never been a failure that I have heard of.

The first time I addressed this problem, was 1986, in my 61 Biscayne. I spent $450 with a machine shop, and had them manufacture a pair of new steel caps. I image that cost would be near double now.

No409

Supporting Member 1
maby ill just e-bay them, let the person who buys them worry about them. there all thin P cases, various date codes. thin p is for vette, correct?

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The "P" is for "Positraction". It's not Corvette specific. There are other stamped numbers that are used to determine what application in which it was used.

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
Hey Aubrey, I was wondering why you don't make a full size cap? Basically a gm cap made thicker with extra material like with yours already cast into it. if that makes sense.

Because, as I mentioned... they're like finger prints. Each one is specific to it's position on each separate "pumpkin".
Did it once... brutally expensive. Today, would be at least $800... and the "pumpkin" would have to be at the machine shop, to be fitted.

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Seems like it would fit on a bridgeport , make a jig to hold it, indicate the original side then use a boring head to bring in the new cap. And if the sides need to match just surface grind them in after jig is made im thinking 1.5 hr per cap. Maybe theres more to it than that.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Grinding to match would be the "easy' part!! It's matching up the threads on the retainer is what's hard!!!!