Broken valve spring

Nobrando

Hi guys, finally got some time to pull the heads and inspect and change the valvesprings. Everything looks great and i proceed to replace the springs, here it is some problems...

I bought the speedway motor springs: 180-671515 as it was suggested that it might work as a dropin spring. But the damper spring inside doesn't fit over the guide. it places ontop the guide and binds.

I measured the center of the valve spring and damper spring.
Original measured: 22,55mm / 0,888 inch
Speedway measured: 19,61mm / 0,771 inch
Guide: 21,8mm / 0,860 inch

According to speedway motor the inside diameter: .87" and that seems to be without the damper spring when i measure mine.

I don't know if there are different sizes of the guides depending on heads, but on mine it didn't fit. i have the 879 heads.
I figured it isn't wise to remove the damper spring so im on the lookout for a new setup of springs that fit over the guides. How much can you machine the guides?

Thanks guys
Rasmus.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You can machine the guides down quite a bit.It is not uncommon to machine the top of the valve guide down to .537 inorder to use the "PC" style valve guide seal,as an example.Milling the guide down to .750 won't cause any problems.