BSL409 @ N.E. Hot Rod Reunion

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Met BSL409 for the first time yesterday. I have spoken to him on the phone and thru the forum for a couple of years now. It's been a hoot watching him run and hearing all the "I can't believe a (old) 409 can run like that". Must have been a blast at the 348-409 Convention!!

A couple of sequences (hope Brian won't mind)...Staging lane to starting line....IMG_2997.jpgIMG_2998.jpgIMG_3001.jpgIMG_3002.jpg

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Next thing you'll be telling me Dennis is................................I GOTTA HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:appl:appl:appl:appl:appl:appl:appl
I told my wife just that!!!!.......I want one..... but that was right before a 'Cuda crossed the finish line at 143 m.p.h......on it's roof.....Hell of a smack against the barrier. She's not so hot on the idea now.:dunno

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I love that it looks so stock (and of course that it's a 61) !!! I swear those slicks look bigger every time I see pictures of it. I'm supposed to get to borrow a pair of 15x10's with 5.5" backspacing for trial fit on my car soon. I sure hope they go under there like that!!!

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well i made it to the finale round on Sunday and the fuel pump quits after the light goes green WTF :angry:tantrum
Took out the head gasket plus:bang

IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0553.JPG

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:gaahAs if it wasn't bad enough, it happens in the final round.

It looks very similar to the way we hurt the aluminum engine in the Pontiac.
It looks like you avoided major damage on the block but I'm guessing it'll have to get decked.
You can get the head welded up without too much trouble.
The cost shouldn't be too great but,,, a lot of work you don't need. :(

I know everybody's going to say this so I might as well be the first... You need better gaskets. :D

No409

Supporting Member 1
had to race Earl Story huh? he races in my club Central Mass drag racers. great dude. looks like a fun time

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The block may not be salvageable, at least for Brian's need. It is impossible to tell by looking at a picture because sometimes a picture can be misleading but the block deck looks damaged. Usually, not a big deal. Reduce deck to make true, then reduce piston quench pad a like amount. But for this particular engine, the valve reliefs would also need deepening because valve to piston clearance was already minimal. And of course, intake manifold would need a little tweeking because of added deck lowering. Hopefully the block deck can be cleaned up with a .010-.020 cut but it looks worse in the picture. What is impressive to me is the extreme flame ( explosion) that it took to do that damage did not destroy a piston. Good luck, Brian, hope it can be repaired without a big expense.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hopefully it won't take much of a cut to clean up the deck surface. :pray
At least you can get Cometic gaskets in custom thicknesses, so if you have to take .020 off of the deck you should be able to use a .060 gasket in place of the .040 gasket.