Bubbletop Back Glass Molding Clips

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can any of you tell me what you have used for the end clip on the bottom molding. This is the clip that the end of the molding slides over right under the gutter rail?:dunno I have not looked for anything yet but it looks like it is going to be a hard item to find.:dunno

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anyone have any input here?:dunno Here is a pic of the area that the clip goes.

Attachments

• Molding End Clip Mount.jpg
    Molding End Clip Mount.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 78

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,

I was waiting to see what the others had to say. My glass man used some kind of epoxy and glued the end of the trim down. I think it was the same stuff that they use to glue the windshields in the new cars. It's under the end of the drip rail so as long as you don't hang it with the dust mop it shouldn't be a problem. My white '61 has been done for ten years and I haven't had a problem with it coming loose.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tommy and Brian, You are the two I was hoping to hear from. I am working on something and if it works I will post my findings. Thanks Dan

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
4807728-29 moulding used five 4657731 clips and two 4810792 clips....you must need the 4810792 and as far as I know, nobody is reproducing them. Time for a little yankee ingenuity. Dan will come up with something or he will buy another parts car to get 2 little clips from.;)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
4807728-29 moulding used five 4657731 clips and two 4810792 clips....you must need the 4810792 and as far as I know, nobody is reproducing them. Time for a little yankee ingenuity. Dan will come up with something or he will buy another parts car to get 2 little clips from.;)

Problem is.......those two little clips are always rusted to nothing cause the water from the drip rail runs out right onto them. And you are correct, they are not reproduced.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Cecil, You are correct. The 4810792 clips are the ones I need. I have been going through the Au-ve-co catalog to find something that will work or can be modified to work. And yes I am buying another car tomorrow. Will post pics later.

Problem is.......those two little clips are always rusted to nothing cause the water from the drip rail runs out right onto them. And you are correct, they are not reproduced.

Tommy, You hit the nail on the head. I think I will be able to find a solution in the Au-ve-co catalog...:deal http://www.auveco.com/

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dan,

I used the same solution as Brian !!! Let us know if you find a better one.

Bill

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My idea is to see if a VW side molding clip will work. They used a narrow plastic clip that used a dowel to spread the stud. This was on late 70's VW.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
Wouldn't it be fairly easy to bend up a piece of .040" aluminum or stainless flat stock about 3/4" wide to fit the moldings channel and TIG weld a 3/4" long10-32 stud on it at the right angle and use a nut to secure it? (Sort of like the stock roof belt line trim clips for the 62-64 2 door hard tops.)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wouldn't it be fairly easy to bend up a piece of .040" aluminum or stainless flat stock about 3/4" wide to fit the moldings channel and TIG weld a 3/4" long10-32 stud on it at the right angle and use a nut to secure it? (Sort of like the stock roof belt line trim clips for the 62-64 2 door hard tops.)

Kevin, There is no way to access the back side to attach the nut.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Cecil, I got to thinking about this and there was acutully 3 differt clips used for the bottom moldings. In the corners there were 2 longer clips similar to the 5-4657731. I have one but need one more. Am on my way to pick up a 61' Sport Coupe today. Maybe I will get lucky....:deal

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21838

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I have come up with the end clips for the bottom back glass molding....:deal This is going to work great. I was parting out my 61 More Door Impala Hardtop and while removing the side trim I noticed that the narrower side molding (upper) uses a clip very similar to the ones used for the end clips on the back glass...:? I tried one of these clips in the back glass molding but it was to wide at 7/16" so I sanded it down on my 12" disc sander flush on both sides (See Pics) and it works great. They are push in clips and are made to go in a 1/4" hole and that is just what the back glass molding uses so it is a perfect fit.....

Attachments

• Back Glass Molding Clip 1.jpg
    Back Glass Molding Clip 1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Back Glass Molding Clip 2.jpg
    Back Glass Molding Clip 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Back Glass Molding Clip 3.jpg
    Back Glass Molding Clip 3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 60