Budget Engine Build

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I was thinking of putting some parts together for another entry in the budget build but realized my latest budget buy will be way off in HP. I'm only starting with 280 HP and many are starting with more than that. My cheapest intake might be lacking a bit also.

Attachments

• IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 128

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Go for it!

Robert:

Go for it, why not?

Looks like the marine version of the truck engine, correct? Assuming it has 333 heads, a good block and crank, and some flat steel pieces (timing chain cover, oil pan, valve covers) that is a good start.

I'm slowly finding out after some recent machine shop bills that "budget build" has taken on a new and higher meaning. It's really hard to keep costs down, even if you do a lot yourself. I was hoping to keep costs under $4000 but that won't even be close :(.

Remember the days when you could take a Chevy small block apart and do a "backyard rebuilt" for a couple hundred dollars? Not anymore! But then we're doing a bit better than simple re-ringing and bearing change outs...

Cheers,
TomK

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think someone should have taken a stock truck shortblock and do a blow-thru Holset turbo. Even with low boost. I bet the motor would make power :beerbang

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I've got to agree with Cecil on a low budget rebuild. Yes Tom you are correct on this buy. Two intakes; four heads two of which are almost new(333's), one block,notched but not decked, and no ridge and many other pieces, water pumps, steel parts, engine stand etc. Oh, did I mention very rare Crusader 280 hp valve covers all for way under $1,000.
robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I call that a good deal!

Robert:

That is a great start!

Start shopping for new valve train parts, camshafts, new stuff that you will need to rebuild her. Then go for it!

Save those valve covers for the wall, go with the Moons or some other repop. Maybe even original "W" truck covers?

Best,
TomK

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert-

I like the idea. do it cheap and run the crap out of it!
I also like the crusader valve covers. I was able to pick up 2 perfect sets of Pacer Marine dripper valve covers a few months back.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How about do it cheap and have fun with it............ Don't be running the crap out of it !!!!!!!!:takethat:takethat:nono1:

Dave

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert-

I like the idea. do it cheap and run the crap out of it!
I also like the crusader valve covers. I was able to pick up 2 perfect sets of Pacer Marine dripper valve covers a few months back.

Crusader's are drippers also.
robert

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
BUDGET BUILDS :roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll It would only allow 10 roflmao

Just orderd single 4 intake and bought carb for mine. Street cruiser now at $5200.

Ray

bowtie6

I was thinking of putting some parts together for another entry in the budget build but realized my latest budget buy will be way off in HP. I'm only starting with 280 HP and many are starting with more than that. My cheapest intake might be lacking a bit also.

hello could you help me on some 348 questions?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Fire away!

Bowtie6:

Feel free to aak any question, and you might think about starting a new thread on the Forum to keep it separate from this current discussion. We can help you with that as well.

Enjoy!
TomK

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bowtie6 Tom is correct ask all you want but probably better done on the engine section.
robert

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm with Brian. I run the crap out'a everything sooner or later. Even my L6.:roll

Dave that's how I have my fun.:crazy:cool::D