Building a 348 stroker

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I’m sorry I’ve been slow to get back to this thread. I’ve been pretty busy these last few weeks. I though I'd start a new thread rather than add on to the other 348 build thread. I will add a link to that thread because a lot of the info there also applies here... http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12872

I don’t have ANY experience with 348 strokers but thanks to the helpfulness of some of the other members I think I can come up with a reasonable estimate of what will be required. As always I’d appreciate any input or suggestions and let me know if I get something wrong I can always come back and edit this post.

There are three basic stroker configurations we’ll look at. The easiest and most popular setup is to put a 409 crank in your 348. The next step up is to use a crank from a 396 or 427 Big Block Chevy. And finally there’s the 454 Big Block crank.
If you bored a stock 348 .030 you’d have 353ci.
With the 3.5” 409 crank and a .030 overbore you’d get 380ci.
With the 3.76” stroke 396/427 crank and .030 over you’d have 408ci.
And with the 4” stroke 454 crank and .030 over you’d have 434ci.

We’ll cover the 380ci (409 crank) build first and I think we’ll do a few different horsepower targets like we did with the stock stroke builds.

A 409 crank will pretty much drop right in. The only clearance issues you should have are with the oil pan. A 409 pan will solve the problem but you should also be able to get adequate clearance by massaging the 348 pan with a hammer. Show Cars does have aftermarket 409 oil pans available.

Aubrey recommends using standard, 6.135” big block Chevy rods. The big block rods are stronger than the rods that came with either the 348 or 409 so this is a good upgrade. You can get pistons from Aubrey or Show Cars. You just have to tell them which crank and rods you’re using. I think we’ll use big block rods and forged pistons in all of the stroker recipes.

I should add that you CAN use a combination of 409 rods and regular 348 cast pistons but this would only be appropriate for low horsepower builds. The 409 rods are shorter than the 348 rods so they pretty much compensate for the extra ¼” of stroke. A stock 348 piston coupled with a 409 crank and 409 rods will be .010 higher in the bore at top dead center. That shouldn’t be a problem as long your block hasn’t been decked too much. But the compression ratio for a stock 348 piston is based on a 3.25” stroke. You’ll be trapping more air with a 3.5” stroke so a 9.5 to 1 piston for a 348 will actually give you 10.5 to 1 with the 409 crank and rods.

By the way, it’s rumored that there are some 348 blocks that can be bored out far enough to take 409 pistons but blocks like that are very rare. Curt Harvey has built hundreds of W motors Here’s what he had to say in a magazine article…
“Although some 348 blocks have thick cylinder walls, most cannot be bored out to the larger 409 diameter.” “Cylinder wall thickness varies widely because casting techniques back then weren’t up to current standards. Usually .030 over is no problem, but .060 requires sonic testing the block.”

I’ll get started on this thread in the next few days.:deal

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
348 stroker.

This is going to be a great thread Jim.:brow

Is the most likely 348 block to go safely to 409 spec the 3857655 with the X cast in the front?

The reason I ask is that Dad and I just so happen to have one. I stumbled over it in a southern Californian wreaking yard back in 94. We also have a set of brand new standard bore forged 409 pistons that my Nanna bought over the counter from her local San Diego Chevy dealer back in 1978! This could get interesting :cool: :D

Carl.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was hoping to come up with a low budget 348 stroker option but after doing some checking I’ve come to the conclusion that most 348 strokers should be built using forged pistons and Big Block Chevy rods. I will however add a few paragraphs to explain how it can be done using 409 rods and cast pistons.

You can use regular 348 pistons with a 409 crank as long as you also use 409 rods. With this combination the piston will be .010 higher in the bore at top dead center, that would bring the piston pretty much even with the top of the bore. That shouldn’t be a problem because the standard FelPro gaskets are about .040 thick where the factory gaskets were only about .022 So as long as the block hasn’t been decked too much, you should be okay. You’ll want to end up with at least .030 piston to head clearance. If your block has been decked too much, Show Cars does have thicker gaskets available.
Another thing you’ll have to keep in mind when mixing 348 pistons with a 409 crank and rods is that you’ll end up with more compression. I did the math on using a 9.5 to 1 piston with the 409 crank and after the extra stroke and the extra .010 of height are added in you actually end up with a true compression ratio of 10.5 to 1. So far so good, but the thing is that 9.5 to 1 is the lowest ratio available in a cast piston. So your actual compression ratio of 10.5 to 1 will be fairly high for an engine with cast pistons. If you happen to be using a truck block with the extra notch, or the #333 truck heads with the larger combustion chamber that would drop your compression to a more reasonable 10 to 1. You’d want to run at least 91 octane with 10.5 to 1. You can also reduce the compression by milling the pistons or using a thicker gasket but if you’re going that far you might as well spring for some forged pistons. The thing is that cast pistons are great for lower horsepower but lower horsepower usually means a cam with less duration, and that gives you lots of cylinder pressure at low rpm's. So a low horsepower engine with high compression is actually more likely to run into detonation than a higher horsepower engine with the same amount of compression.
The 409 crank and 409 rods option might be a good way to go if your 348 doesn’t need pistons. Sometimes you pull an engine apart and find that all it needs is a light touch with a hand drill powered hone and a set of rings. Just keep in mind that you’re going to gain about one point of compression. Edit... Be sure to check for piston to crank clearance as mentioned in the next post. You can make high compression and a smallish cam work, you just have to have the ignition and carburation right.

I’ll get going on the 348 strokers soon.:deal

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Jim, the OEM stock cast 348 pistons will need to be trimmed on the skirt end to clear the 409 crank when using 409 rods. you will be moving the piston 1/4" closer to the crank using this method to stroke a 348. after market pistons seem to clear ok.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim, the OEM stock cast 348 pistons will need to be trimmed on the skirt end to clear the 409 crank when using 409 rods. you will be moving the piston 1/4" closer to the crank using this method to stroke a 348. after market pistons seem to clear ok.

Thanks for posting that info.:deal I'll go back and edit the post.
The only experience I have with 348 strokers is what I've picked up reading the posts on this site so I'm really depending on you guys to point out any errors or omissions.:deal

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
370hp Stroker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As always, if anyone has any comments or corections, let me know. I can come back and edit this post.
I have the advantage of being able to use the 350hp 348 build as a guideline for this 370hp stroker build. This buildup will be similar except that the extra 30 or so cubic inches will give us about 20 horsepower and about 30ft lbs more torque. It should also idle just a little smoother than the 350hp 348.

370hp, is fairly close to one horsepower per cubic inch. A .030 over 348 with a 409 crank will give us 380ci. This should make for a really nice street engine.

The 409 crank will drop right in. The only modification you may need to do is to massage the oil pan a little bit so that the larger crank will clear. You could also use a 409 pan to totally eliminate any clearance problems. Show Cars has re-pop 409 pans.

RODS
Here's a quote from Aubrey on the topic of which rods to use...
"First, I would say that when going to the 409 crank, don't even bother with ANY stock W block rod. There's no point. You're buying special pistons anyhow ( a VERY regular item for me ), so simply go to the standard length BBC aftermarket rods, and get your piston / deck height dead on, without milling the block."

This sounds like good advise. The 348 rods are pretty light and the 409 rods are also a little on the weak side, so why not just upgrade to Big Block Chevy rods and build a really bulletproof engine. By the way all 348 and 409 cranks are forged steel. If you do a bit of looking you can find BBC rods at really low prices. Here's a set from E-bay for $169.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...49163630QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230249163630&

We’ll use forged pistons for this build. I see that Aubrey has 10 to 1 forged pistons... http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/intro.html Despite the relatively high compression ratio you should be able to run 91 octane with those pistons if your tune up is right. Remember that these engines aren’t detonation prone and Aubrey’s pistons have an optimized quench distance. You could even go up to 10.5 to 1, that would gain you about eight to ten horsepower but you might want to use 93 octane with the extra compression. And as always, if you're using a truck block with the extra cylinder notch or the #333 truck heads you'll loose about a half of a point of compression. I didn't see pistons for the 3.5" stroke listed in Show Cars on line catalog but I'm pretty sure they have them too.

HEADS…
I think all 348’s came with either 1.94 or 2.06 intake, and 1.66 exhaust valves. The 1.94" valves would be a little small for 370hp but they might just get the job done. Bubbletop1961’s post on 348 heads indicates that the 348 heads will flow a little over 200cfm with 1.94 valves. That should support 370hp without going overboard on the cam… http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12860
If you need valves anyway, you’d still be better off upgrading to 2.06’s and it's really worthwhile to do a little bowl work. The stock 3/8”studs rocker studs are fine but you can drill and pin them for extra insurance if you want. (high performance 409 heads had pinned studs) The stock rockers should also be okay but aluminum roller rockers are always a nice upgrade. Note... Some 348 heads can have clearance problems at the pushrod slot if you use a high lift cam. There shouldn’t be any problem with the cam recommended below but you can probably get the pushrod slot lengthened a bit by your cylinder head guy. If you want to do it yourself, here’s an inexpensive tool that will do the job… http://www.compperformancegroupstor...&Product_Code=POW351305&Category_Code=PUSHROD And here's one from Summit... http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRO-66485&N=700+115&autoview=sku

CAM...
Here's one from Aubrey's site that I think would be about right...
#H-218520D It has 268/270 advertised duration with 218/224 @.050 and .520/.525 lift.
http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/intro.html
It’s the same cam we used for the 350hp 348. I think this cam along with 10 to 1 compression and pocket ported #379 heads should hit 370hp but I'd welcome any opinions or suggestions.

Valve springs...
Here's a quote from a post by Aubrey... "Comp single spring, #942, with 744 retainers / 603 locks.
Stock length valves, you end up with an average installed height of 1.72".
110 pounds on the seat, will follow up to .540" lift, with approx 300 pounds over the nose at that lift... most combinations end up at 285-290 pounds.
Has run FLAWLESSLY on .520" - .530" lift hydraulic cam, in dozens of combinations... efficiently running to 5500 RPM."

Those springs should easily handle the revs on this engine. I'll add them to the price list.
Here's a link to the parts at Summit...
Springs... http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294925232+4294924497+115&autoview=sku
Retainers... http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294925232+4294924497+115&autoview=sku
Locks... http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294925232+4294924497+115&autoview=sku

You should be able to run the stock exhaust manifolds at this level but my guess is that a set of headers would add about 15 to 20hp. The 1 3/4" Ballengers or Tri-Y's would probably be the best on an engine this size. And of course there's always the Sanderson block huggers, they're not as effective as full length headers but they're better than the factory exhaust manifolds.

I think any of the factory intakes would be okay except for the ones designed for the smaller WCFB carbs. If you want to go with an aftermarket dual quad, I think the new Edelbrock might be better than the Offy manifold. I think a carb in the 750cfm range would be good in a single quad application. For the dual quad manifolds I think you'd want to go with the smallest carbs, (500cfm) and it might be worthwhile to consider the AVS style carbs with the vacuum secondaries because they would be easier to tune on this relatively small engine... http://store.summitracing.com/partd...400065+4294902725+4294785256+115&autoview=sku

So here's the kit well need except that we'll have to upgrade the cam and add some other parts...
348 Forged Complete Master Re-build kit

3337A Forged pistons... Set $669.00
3340 Cast rings... Set $49.95
5343TR True Roller timing... Set $48.00
1085 Cam bearings... Set $29.50
6733 Main bearings... Set $129.00
3342A Rod bearings... Set $26.50
0901 Hydraulic cam... Ea. $89.95
3327 Hydraulic lifters... Set $43.95
3345A Standard Oil Pump... Ea. $22.25
3211 Oil Pump Shaft... Ea. $9.95
3345C Oil pump pick up tube... Ea. $19.95
4033A Freeze plugs... Set $11.50
5657 Gasket set... Set $80.00
5930 Engine Re-build pack... Free
Camshaft upgrade estimated... 120.00
Plugs, wires, thermostat, oil filter etc...200.00
Valve springs, retainers and locks... 137.59
TOTAL... $1,687.09

valvefloat

Well Known Member
Recently I have recieved an education on all possible harmonic balancer available for the W block from several well informed members. If you take say a standard F block and build it up should you and can you use the high performance balancer? Is an aftermaket recommended? does it matter? I get the impression it does since Chevy made alternates for the higher horspower engines.