Building race engines

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Why is it that when people build race engines it is always a thrash? I have been working at this machine shop and every engine is always a thrash right up until it goes out the door. I can sure see why these engines cost so much because so many custom parts are made and so much hand fitting of parts. Yesterday we were putting together and engine that a new front motorplate and a dry sump oil system was being built for it as well as a new injection system. I took the oil pan off because the fittings for the oil pump wouldn't clear. This is a huge pan for a wet system and the owner didn't want to spring for a new pan. We cut the corner off and were about to weld a piece on to close it up when the owner came in and said we needed to take the whole side of the pan off so it would clear the front differential. The engine must be done, dynoed and put in the truck by wed. so they can go to an indoor event in Kentucky on fri. Boy am I getting an education, 68 years old and learning a whole new world.:clap Roy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Same deal here!

Roy:

I know what you are talking about!

Even in the smaller venues like we have here in Columbia, MO there is always some reason/deadline to get things done by. Well, not for me, but apparently for others. If I were to set deadlines for my projects, I'd be very disappointed in my own "performance". I get 'em done in time just like I get 'em done under budget (not at all!).

Currently one of my buddies is working (thrashing is a better phrase) on a 1966 Chevelle pro touring car for his own personal use. BBC all decked out with goodies. He cuts no corners, but always has deadlines. Got one coming up next weekend, for example. Local car show. I'll be lucky to get my cars out of the garage cleaned up and ready to go, he's redoing an entire car from body to drivetrain. I guess I'm not at good at "managing projects" as my buddies are...

Here's a shot of the 427 on a stand in the shop. Rock solid on the bottom, this has a lot of store bought eye candy on the top end :). As you mentioned, even in "kit form" nothing fits. Belts don't line up, brackets need to be cardboarded up and then crafted, everything get polished. Lots of late night fun times with the boys at the shop. We have two guys who given an infinite amount of time can seemingly make anything! It's just that length of time that bothers some people :).

Enjoy!
TomK

Attachments

• Ken's blower motor January 17 2008 002.jpg
    Ken's blower motor January 17 2008 002.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 92

bobs409

Administrator
Reminds me of American Hotrod. Every build (or hack job depending on your taste) has to be done in 8 weeks (or less) so it will be ready for some show. I guess the show would lose it's soap opera drama if they didn't do that though. Just like "who will get fired this week or who will dwayne freak out on next?" :roll

Roy:
As you mentioned, even in "kit form" nothing fits. Belts don't line up, brackets need to be cardboarded up. Lots of late night fun times with the boys at the shop. It's just that length of time that bothers some people :).
Enjoy!
TomK

Nothing fits... isn't THAT the truth. So much of this kit stuff, is just "eye candy" junk. Cut'n and fit'n everything, because there's so little thought by those who designed it. I saw this happening at Lee Brothers in Red Deer. Not their fault. They just buy the components that the customer requests. Yes, then the customer whines because the project can't meet the deadline.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We had built a front motorplate with a dry sump pump, vacuum pump and alternator mounted below the crank for a guy two weeks ago. This customer said he wanted the same setup for a new engine he just bought. Gary asked him if it was the same configuration and he said yes. Gary cut a front engine plate with the cutouts for the two pumps and the alternator and waited for the engine to showup. Gary had to build an injector for it also. The engine showed up thurs. at 9:30 at night and it has to be done by wed. 6 days. The engine has this humungious oil pan that must hold 20 quarts, so it isn't the same configuration. The customer got this oil pan cheap and you don't need anything that big for a dry sump system anyway. Anyway lots of little things like the injector fuel pump ws real rough to turnover. We took it apart and it had a bur on it from the factory, we could have sent it back but not enough time. I spent 1 1/2 hours lapping that thing in so it would run smooth. Gary has the mill and lathe going all the time making spacers and brackets. I just didn't realize all the little things that go into these engines. The amount of time spent fitting rings and pistons is a long process. A young man, Cody Barklage spent yesterday working on his Pro Mod engine just putting his heads together an all day job. When someone builds you an engine for racing you get your moneys worth.:deal Roy

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
"have him spitting chicklets":roll :roll :roll That's a good one Aubrey.:clap I don't think anyone likes that guy.:dunno Well, maybe Boyd does.:roll

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The engine [a 605 cu.in. wedge F**D] made 1038 hp at 12:30 a.m. I know that some neighbors were upset with the noise. Just not gear head enough.:D Roy