Buy Chevrolet See the USA remember?

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ross,I totally agree with you that most American cars for the last 15 years have been ugly.Up until the last 2 years are the USA cars starting to turn around in styling.I really believe Cadillac started the trend and now it seems to be going to all the divisions of GM.I do disagree with you about the Impala.I think it does look a lot better than it has in about 8 years.Its now avialiable with a V/8,303hp.It will be a rear wheel drive in 2009 or 2010.Styling will really change then.I think Pontiac and Buick are getting on track also.In January the Pontiac G-8 will be out which replaces the Grand Prix.That will be a rear wheel drive car with V/8 motor.I think the most improved car of GM and I really hate to say it is the SATURN.The Aura is really a good looking car,nice lines plenty of power with the upgraded V/6 engine.Of course that is modeled after the German Opel.The new Malibu will be on that platform as well.I think GM is really trying to improve the looks of their cars.They do it with the Corvette and Cadillac ,so the rest should come easy. The thing that really always has baffled me is how they let Oldsmobile slip away.How do you go from having the absolute hottest,best selling intermediate car(Cutlass ) in the mid 80's to a generic ugly looking car that did not sell .They lost they're identity with Olds,the good looks and designing and for you know it they were no longer. One other thing about GM cars that really gets my goat.That is the interiors of the cars.Why can't you be able to get an all red upholstery(which includes dash,rugs,seats ,door panels and rear shelf).Not only red but any other color that would match the exterior.They offer black,saddle and grey.On some models they tease you with red seats ,but thats always put together with grey or black trim ,dash or door panels. Gosh,give me the good ole' cars they were really made right or build a car that has good looks and nice upholstery and people will buy it. John

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil !!!!! News item on local news tonight. 2003-4 GM trucks, suv. GM will replace dash instruments . Not an official recall but will repair at no cost.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Back in 1963 Dick Harrell got his brand new white 63 Z11 directly off the GM delivery truck, his mechanics told me it smoked horribly and poorly ran, with about .5 miles on the clock they tore down the motor, all the piston rings were cracked- all they can think of is the trailer driver stoped somewhere and beat the piss out of the car before delivery- there were no warrantys on the Z11s - im not sure they even had vin numbers

I dont know if was his 63 or 62 but his wife occasionally drove the car into town before the lettering went on the car to go food shopping.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil !!!!! News item on local news tonight. 2003-4 GM trucks, suv. GM will replace dash instruments . Not an official recall but will repair at no cost.

Thanks Ronnie, That's nice to hear. I did some research and it seems to be a big problem with people losing the speedo and fuel guage but never saw a complaint on the oil pressure. Mine started with the voltmeter pegging randomly and then the fuel once or twice. The temp went offscale high several times and then it seemed to settle on the oil pressure as a recurring problem. I only lost the speedo twice and it just hung up then read 20-30 mph low until I reset everything with the ignition switch. Must be a bad ground in the cluster or some probs with the printed circuit board. I just wonder if the new clusters are improved versions or just a new old stock with a 50-50 chance of recurrence.:scratch

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Ronnie, That's nice to hear. I did some research and it seems to be a big problem with people losing the speedo and fuel guage but never saw a complaint on the oil pressure. Mine started with the voltmeter pegging randomly and then the fuel once or twice. The temp went offscale high several times and then it seemed to settle on the oil pressure as a recurring problem. I only lost the speedo twice and it just hung up then read 20-30 mph low until I reset everything with the ignition switch. Must be a bad ground in the cluster or some probs with the printed circuit board. I just wonder if the new clusters are improved versions or just a new old stock with a 50-50 chance of recurrence.:scratch

Cecil-

The problem with the instrument clusters are the stepper motors for the guages, speedo and tach. they are all the same and all will stop working eventually. The new clusters have different stepper motors. My speedo got erratic and then would zero out at 45 mph...when I was going 60 my speedo was pegged. Oil pressure showed low, then quit working, and the fuel gauge stopped working. this all started overnight.

Here is a link to the guy that I bought my updated cluster from back in May for more info... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBU...emQQcategoryZ33675QQihZ017QQitemZ270185430379