Buy Chevrolet See the USA remember?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil-

I just received a recall from GM on my 2004 Yukon for the gauges. I had to change mine out about 6 months ago, but if you are having problems, you may want to call the dealership. They are honoring the warranty for 7 years from production date.

Brian,
Thanks for that info. I'll call the dealer today.

:)

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil, I'm sure GM sent you a recall, musta got lost in the mail.

29 GM vehicles in the past 43 years. Here's my feeling on the 99 Suburban and GM after they refused to fix the engine knock(said it was normal).

Attachments

• MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 53

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray, My nephew works for a Nissan dealer. I have on my shop floor a 2005 Nissan V8 complete truck engine less intake system. Was warrantied because of the same piston slap that GM told customers is normal. Replacement had same noise. Guess noise is normal. :roll :roll Nissan's explaination is a low idle knock caused by using too small of oil filter. If anyone wants this Nissan V8 for $1,000 , let me know. It is an impressive looking engine, but I would hate to put a wrench on it. I don't understand anything about it. Besides, I don' t have metric wrenches. :roll

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
no problems

I have been driving Chevys since my Mom's 1955 and can say I have never had a bad one. Many, many pick ups, cars and also several F***s when I was in business. No problems, but I really take care of my vehicles. Now my daughter purchase a new Pont. Form. convert. 345 HP (i think) 6-speed. Bigest piece of junk you never seen. Could not keep the rear in from going south. Would last 200 to 300 miles and start roaring. Even put a complete housing in, same thing. I think the rag top just had too much flex when you punched it and threw everything into a bind. finally had to use the Texas Lemon Law to get satisfaction. Guess I have been lucky.:brow Now drive a 2007 ext cab, love it, get between 17-18 miles per gal. on hwy.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have been driving Chevys since my Mom's 1955 and can say I have never had a bad one. Many, many pick ups, cars and also several F***s when I was in business. No problems, but I really take care of my vehicles. Now my daughter purchase a new Pont. Form. convert. 345 HP (i think) 6-speed. Bigest piece of junk you never seen. Could not keep the rear in from going south. Would last 200 to 300 miles and start roaring. Even put a complete housing in, same thing. I think the rag top just had too much flex when you punched it and threw everything into a bind. finally had to use the Texas Lemon Law to get satisfaction. Guess I have been lucky.:brow Now drive a 2007 ext cab, love it, get between 17-18 miles per gal. on hwy.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Her "lead foot" wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?:dunno

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
nope

Made no difference if you had a lead foot or not. I got it back from the dealer and drove the car from Austin to Seguine, where she was going to collage (about 85 miles). At about 60 miles, rear end began howling. Took it right back.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

oldimpala

Well Known Member
Her "lead foot" wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?:dunno

Delivery-

Honestly, even so, if they stuck a 345 HP V-8 in it; it should survive with anything that V-8 can throw at it...

One of the funniest stories I saw was with a '98 or '99 Camaro SS Convertible I was a lot-lizard at a Chevy dealer in early college days, and loved this car. If I could have swung it, I would have... It sold, and on the PDI, a mechanic wanted to take it on some twisties. You know, put it thru it's paces....

So on his inspection, he threw it into a corner hard, and POPPED the windshield clean out of the frame. He came back with it in the back seat, in two pieces, white as a ghost... The Manager made some excuses about it not being prepped, they quickly repaired the car, and delivered it to the customer the next day...

GM offered subframe connectors later in the year. :)

There was a Nissan delaer across the street, that regularly got 300Z, T-Top cars back with shattered roof panels, too...

Too much flex in Unibody ragtops...

-Andy/Oldimpala

Speed

Supporting Member 1
ImpalaSS -awesome
Suburban- Super
The new Malibu will kick ***.
Trucks- The Best
Corvettes---AWESOME

Buy what Y'all want..I'll buy Chevy!

I'll see the USA if I have to whistle Zippedy dudah up my butt hole.....

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I personaly don`t think any one brand is better then the other now a days.
A few years ago maybe the imports were better as the US auto makers were caught snoozzing but they came around.
Now I think all the auto makers have good cars and bad depending on the model.
Most US trucks are great and the new full sized imports are coming up but, I would buy the US one over the imports because I believe the engines are better.

That said,,, my Astro van is coming up on 300,000 miles,,, two engines, three trans, two rearends !!!
The first owners I belive towed something heavy and killed the first engine, two trans, and the rearend twice.
The replacement engine they put in just before I got it is still running strong and I never add any oil between changes even though I run it many miles over three to five thousand between changes!

I just wish GM`s were made in the USA and not over the boarders,,,

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My 2005 GTO has piston slap. It sounds terrible in the morning, under load. It does go away when the engine warms up. I think I am lucky in that mine doesn't use any oil. Then again I don't drive it all that much and really don't drive it hard. "Normal" piston slap make no sense.
What would it hurt to still do a select-fit on the pistons? It's been done since day one!!!! What makes GM think they are better than that?
Ross

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil-

I just received a recall from GM on my 2004 Yukon for the gauges. I had to change mine out about 6 months ago, but if you are having problems, you may want to call the dealership. They are honoring the warranty for 7 years from production date.

Brian,
Can you give me the reference number on that recall. I searched on line and no recall comes up...lots of complaints but no recall. Maybe it's a"secret warranty" or a TSB. I will call the dealer tomorrow but thought it would help get by their BS if I had a reference.:scratch

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil-

After looking at the letter more closely, it does not say recall on it. I believe it may be a voluntary fix. GMC Cust Assistance Center: 866-996-9463 (M - F 8 am - 11 pm EST)

It also included a reimbursement claim form no.: 07187

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm a grandfather and have never owned anything but a Chevy........ until now..... I've been lied to and ripped by the local dealer...... just try getting something fixed under warranty ???? What a joke !!!!!! ........... my daughter has a 2003 Blazer she bought because I told her it would be a good truck....... different town different dealer and she won't set foot back in that place........ the truck has 80,000 miles on it and it's cost her over $5000 in two years for repairs...... and it's down for the second $1000 fuel pump since she's had the piece of cr##....... she's afraid to drive it.........My good friend......... $2300 to fix the antilock brakes a few months ago on a 2001 Chevy 1/2 ton.... with 45,000 miles on it........ My brother has a 2007 Blazer........ it's a pig on gas..... 13 - 15 MPG..... drives like it has buggy springs and GM says that's the way it is and nothing can be done....... ever tried putting a serpentine belt on a Pontaic Grande Am....... it's a whole day job, you have to lift the engine & remove the motor mount........ great engineering my a$$.

I could go on and on........ with the cr** they have built in the last 10 years.

If GM wants to survive they should have car & service people run the company not accountants !!!!!!!!!!!

When they knew how to build cars I put over 300,000 miles on a 1980 Caprice & did 1 transmission........ my '96 Tahoe, 260,000 miles with one set of intake gaskets & one fuel pump.......my '78 Suburban 3/4 ton..... drive it most weekends never costs a dime....... '88 olds Cutlass, last rear wheel....... my Mom's car......she's had it since it was 2 years old and has cost nothing....... #2 brother's85 S-10 with a 2.8 V-6 almost 300,000 miles & has replaced 1 axle...... until 3 - 4 years ago I never even looked at another make & I laughed at rice burners....... now I drive one......... it's kind'a like having a 20 year old Chevy.... it just goes everyday.

The new millenium GM is not the same company it was and they have burnt this family tooooooo many times.

Dave

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Wally !!!!!!!!!! :roll :roll :roll

I know Ronnie....(Daily,I drive a Mitsubishi Montero Sport, pretty bullet proof)..<smile>

When we left Bruce Larson's on Sat. , we went by Sutliff Chevrolet (harrisburg, yes..Bruce's long time sponsor)..The row of new 'Vettes was awesome..But..The new Black Dually with nice looking aluminum wheels...Really Nice...:brow

my "bow tie" heritage lives on.....I'm going to buy a new suburban..Black, with those huge cool wheels.....I think they look tough..perform fairly cheap too.....:D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I also had a 99 Seville that used oil at the time we bought it at a rate of about two quarts per oil change (3000 miles).
Cadillac said that was normal for the Northstar!!:eek:

Then it got worse,,, down to between 600 and 700 miles for two quarts.
On one trip of about 300 miles we used four quarts !!!
They, Cadillac, said that it was covered under the extended warranty for a engine rebuild but I had to do a carbon flush first saying that the rings gather carbon and get stuck which causes the oil use and this will cure it.
Well they did a double dose carbon flush which helped at first ,bu then within the next oil change (3000 miles) the oil use went back to the 6-700 mile range.
When I went back to Cadillac to get a rebuild they said due to the number of Northstars needing this rebuild the insurance company will no longer pay for an engine rebuild.
They said it was due to engine wear !!!:cuss

Screw them !! Adding oil was way cheaper then the $4000+ to rebuild the engine.
I later found out that GM hyad an update rebuild kit for the Northstar that used an updated ring set !!!

This should have been a recall or a class action law suit !!

I waited a long time to get a late model classy car only to be dissapointed in the engine !!

Like I said though,, I think most new cars are about equal in quality through the different models,,,

Stuff like this though causes the bad feeling people get for car makers,,,dq

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
'05 monte carlo 52k i did rear brakes at 40k something. other than that a great car. 99 f@rd f150 177,782 miles. minor wear parts tires ball joints etc. runs and looks great. 91 jeep wrangler 146,000 minor repairs runs looks great. stiil driving all of them regularly. that covers the big three! not bad huh?

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I think the US car manufactures make good products, they just put them in ugly wrappers!!! The new "Impala" looks like a toyota and the only people buying those things are rental car companies.
I'm disgusted that Chevrolet no longer makes an appealing, in my opinion, full-size sedan. The new, V-8 Impala SS really doesn't excite me. I think they are a disgrace. My 96 Impala SS was a real car. It was everything that an American sedan should be. They're more popular than the new impalas!!
I think the retro thing works. The Mustang proved it. Almost made me want to buy one. GM made a Chevelle SS prototype based off the same platform the 04-06 GTO was built on. It looked like a 1970 Chevelle!!! The GTO doesn't look like anything!! I would have much rather had the Chevelle than the GTO and I have a 2005 GTO!
Right now, there isn't any new American car that I could see myself buying. If I sell my GTO to buy something different it won't be a late model. I'll buy a 63 Impala SS convert and keep driving my 87 Olds Delta 88. 176k miles and runs like a champ!
Ross