Buy yourself a Mystery

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have a vision of Junior Johnson's white Holly Farms sponsored 63 Chevy. Any other thoughts Tom.
robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I thought Smokey was running Pontiacs in 63. His #13 I thought was on the black and gold 7/8th scale 66 or 67 Chevelle. I'm going to wait for Tommy to weigh in on this as he was driving 'em back then.:bow I was only a spectator.
robert

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I thought Smokey was running Pontiacs in 63. His #13 I thought was on the black and gold 7/8th scale 66 or 67 Chevelle. I'm going to wait for Tommy to weigh in on this as he was driving 'em back then.:bow I was only a spectator.
robert

You are correct on the 66 chevelle, I was thinking an impala also. But now that you say pontiac, that sounds a bit more right.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
WE were both right. looks like pontiac thru 62, and a chevy in 63. Here is a couple of hard to see pictures.

Attachments

• smokey 1963 2.jpg
    smokey 1963 2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 112
  • smokey 1963.jpg
    smokey 1963.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 112

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Many years ago I saw a white Holley Farms Junior Johnson #3 63 Impala at Smokey's shop down in Fla. as well as a clone or the actual 7/8th scale Chevelle. I never thought Smokey was the wrench on that car(#3) in the day. The number 3 driven by Junior Johnson.
That picture was a good find. I think that Curtis Turner might have driven that car at Daytona but my memory is fuzzy. We'll have to wait for Tommy on this one for sure now as I'll never get this one straight.
Sort of like trying to lead the "pack" to Outback Steakhouse at Thompson last year when my GPS was "upside down":dunno:dunno
robert

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
There were 5 1963 Chevrolets with Mk II 427 "Mystery Motors" entered in the 1963 Daytona 500.

# 3 Ray Fox car driven byJunior Johnson
# 03 Ray Fox car driven by G. C. Spencer
# 4 Louis Clements car driven by Rex White
# 13 Smokey Yunick car driven by Johnny Rutherford
# 71 W. M. Harrison car driven by Bubba Farr

Rutherford finished 9th four laps down...Rex white finished 14th 6 laps down. The other 3--- Johnson, Spencer and Farr dropped out with engine problems.

Rick

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here ya go,,,,,

51454148.jpg

51454082.jpg

51454058.jpg

51453995.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Smokey ran the '63 Impala in '63, don't remember what he had in '64, may have set the year out then ran a '65 Impala with Curtis Turner driving before building the '66 Chevelle.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Well maybe not, if the pictures won't open Google PY Forums and go to the Lobby scroll down to race car pictures, some Dude has some great old Pontiac and Chevy phots from the 59 and 61 Daytona races

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tom I couldn't open them and wish I could based on the comments.
Robert

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Sorry, they weregreat. I'm a member of that forum, I'm going to try to get them to repost them, actually they have already reposted some of the Pontiac pictures. A really nice shot of the famed Fireball

There were some great close up shots of Rex White's '61 Chevy

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great pictures DQ! Where did you find them?

Awh shi*,,, Can't remember,,, had em for a while now. I think I scanned them from a book I have,,,,,,, somewhere.

Here are a few more,,,

Attachments

• LegendsRexWhite.jpeg
    LegendsRexWhite.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Rex3.jpeg
    Rex3.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Rex63Chevy.jpg
    Rex63Chevy.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Rex63Impala.jpeg
    Rex63Impala.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Rex White.jpg
    Rex White.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 102

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And my all time favorite is a local legend Carl Joiner,,,

Attachments

• Resize of  CarlJoinersmall.jpg
    Resize of CarlJoinersmall.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 89

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Rick

the MKII Mystery motor was 409 cu in displacement

and the Mk IIs (stroked)was 427

The Smokey Yunick 1966 Chevelle #13 was built on a Z16 1965 396 frame which ended up under a few other cars then in a junkyard according to Smokey

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"the MKII Mystery motor was 409 cu in displacement"

Huh...... throughout the mid sixties there was a note in the NASCAR Grand National rule book that said, Absolutely no 1963 427 Chevrolet motors or parts thereof allowed