Buy yourself a Mystery

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have had this for some time as I was also down at Smokey's that day. Just thought I would share this and have no other comments about the article.
robert

scan0024.jpg

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
"the Mystery Motor and the Z-11 motor were identical with the exception of the 90-degree head bank angle."

Key word: "identical"

The Mk II engine block...as cast...has it's coolant inlet ports (where the water pump is bolted to the block) in a different location than the Mk I Z11 engine. The water pumps are not interchangable.

The lifter valley dams, front and back, of the Mk II are different, as cast, than the Mk I engine.

The Mk II block is not simply a W block with 90 degree head bank angle. It was a new casting.
----
Rick

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Rick, your statements are correct, the changes you state are the released Mystery Motor which included all changes above oil pan rails. The first mystery motor, which i have the patent drawings is more like a 409 with the old water pump placement and the lifer bores with unequal head ports and other non BBC qualities. I am not sure where the first was cast but all of the nascar stuff was cast in Saginaw plant since Mr Keinath had easy access to the plant where he worked before becoming the head of engineering.

Fran Preves statement on #4 above are really correct re the first mystery motor.RIP

By the way, the so called Mystery Motor at Don Garlits museum in the Smokey Yunick display area is just a 1966 BBC passenger motor

The semi hemi design was an idea lifted from the semi hemisperical head design in the corvair alum head