Cadmium Plating References Needed

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Was wondering if anyone had any good references for getting bolts, nuts, and latches cadmium plated. I was going to send my stuff out to Old School Plating in Delaware that specializes in plating this kind of stuff for car restoration people like us. Unfortunately the owner passed away and the business closed down. I spoke to his brother and he still does the cadmium plating but was worried after talking to him that he might not take as much care as his brother did. Also need to get some bolts black oxide as well but this new guy doesn't do any black oxide. As you all know these bolts can't be bought at the local hardware store so I wanted to send them out to someone that would take the time to do them correctly and make sure they didn't lose any parts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
There are very few places that do Cad plating -not like it used to be(some regulations stopped most companies). Most that I know do zinc chromate plating.
I had about 10 cars done(0ver the last 15 years) at Key City Plating in Dubuque, Iowa with zinc chromate. I actually sent them through another car guy and I never lost anything. I plate all the "original "front end bolts and the entire car in silver zinc chromate and gold zine chromate (for hood hinges and latches and strikers on my 62's). Some of the original bolts etc have to be thrown away because of pitting.
Since my friend stopped doing all the cleaning for Key City, now I have to do it (bead blasting, muratic acid - not fun....) - so I have not sent anything to Key City.

I just recently found a company in Sioux Falls, South Dakota(my home town -I go there once a month) that I am going to go to
sometime soon. I saw parts they did and they looked nice...
The prices are very, very reasonable. I think they do black oxide. They for sure do zinc chromate in silver and gold.
Paul

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I used these guys on my 58
http://www.berteaulowell.com
Gave them one five gallon bucket of stuff for black phosphate and another for cad including hood hinges shift linkages kick down links etc. Be SURE to remove any lot metal parts that are part of the hood latch and trunk latch or you WILL ruin them ASK how I know price was reasonable and fast turn around I dealt with Jim a little gruff at first but warms up.

Chris

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for all the recommendations. I will call a few of these guys n see what they say. I got a kick out if the guy you said was a bit gruff until you got to know him. I own my own business and I can't imagine anybody ever saying that about me. I guess they have Mir business than they know what to do with or maybe it's just me being the way I was raised. Treat everybody the way you would like to be treated. Thanks again guys.