Caltracs leaf springs

borg

Hi,

I have started my "pro street" build of my 61´ two door impala and trying to sort out what kind of rear end I will use and what kind of suspension.

I will ty to narrow the rear frame to fit big tyres and change to a 9". I have been thinking of calvertracings mono leafs and caltracs but haven´t seen anyone else try go that way before, Whats your opinions?

Original x frame and interior, LS engine with FI in the future.
Any other thoughts about the x frame and big hp????

borg

Yeah, but you don´t run the xframe, your luck so there´s no kit for 1958-64 chevy and no good install spots..

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Are you dead set on a narrowed rearend? Simple mods will allow a 10" wide wheel and 10.5" tread width slick with about 12.5" sidewall width. There are members here who run 10's, 9's, and even down into the 8's with the stock frame rails. One is mini-tubbed, and the others still have the stock wheel wells.

If you are wanting to narrow it for the look, then I would go with a 4 link and coil-overs.....or at least with ladder bars and coil-overs.
I don't have anything against Cal-Tracs Leafs and bars for existing leaf spring cars, but don't see a reason to go through the trouble of balk-halving a car and going with leaf springs when the other options won't be much higher or harder to do.

borg

Thanks for you input, It´s most for the look, I ran with 10.5 on my last camaro with good results. Ladder bars are not ok on the street here in Sweden so it will be 3 or 4 link with either coilovers or varishock air-springs.
I know it´s alot of work to narrow and I don´t want to interfere the backseat.. But the pro street look is :cool:

Attachments

• 06oneday12.jpg
    06oneday12.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 53
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 54

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Man that Black 61 has some large rubber under the rear end of it:beer
I bet it doesnt still have a center bearing

Steve

borg

I think one piece driveshaft is the only way to go with over 500 RWHP. But not a problem..

borg

Moving on for frame blasting this weekend then I need to choose the way to go.. Narrow or not

Attachments

• IMAG0859.jpg
    IMAG0859.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 16

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I agree that a one piece driveshaft is the best way to go, for several reasons. That's what we've got in both of our race cars. :beer

But, a two or even three or four piece driveshaft will certainly handle a lot more than 500 RWHP.
There is nothing weak about a multi piece driveline,,, as long as it's big enough. :beer
Everyday heavy trucks with multi piece drivelines haul loads of over 100,000 lbs up and down mountain roads without problems.
Every single truck in this video will have a multi piece driveline. :D

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wh
I agree that a one piece driveshaft is the best way to go, for several reasons. That's what we've got in both of our race cars. :beer

But, a two or even three or four piece driveshaft will certainly handle a lot more than 500 RWHP.
There is nothing weak about a multi piece driveline,,, as long as it's big enough. :beer
Everyday heavy trucks with multi piece drivelines haul loads of over 100,000 lbs up and down mountain roads without problems.
Every single truck in this video will have a multi piece driveline. :D

Why do they always shift the camera just at the time when all the real action goes to happen:grumble.

Gav

borg

The body is garage painted by the pre owner and looks way better then it is. Quarter rockers are full of PP100 bodyfiller and small dents all over the body, but the winter is long here in Sweden so just start to sanding:wax.. Anyone know the quality of the re popped quarter panels out there?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't, but I sure do wish they would hurry up and make full quarters instead of having to buy several different pieces.