cam question

51 Merc.

help building 348 stroker needhelp on cam specs. are .30 over 4.00stroke 11to1 Eldelbrockheads bigblock rockers. Im thinking 409/425 in Hyd. excuse typing not real good at it Thanks Russ

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey 51Merc

Check this out!

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8147&highlight=gusto

I had a 409-425 Hp cam...in a 409.. and this was way too mild for my liking. Switched to the Isky solid Z-11 cam was very pleased with overall performance, as well as, the old school "lumpy idle". Check out Aubrey's cam grinds for the 348.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a cam. Mild...Medium...or something more aggresive...hydraulic..solid or roller...or go the "Blower" route.

There are many members here that have done all the above.

BTW My brother had a 50' Merc....(The big 255 cid flathead...3 speed with overdrive). Man...that was an awesome car!!

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Russ....... if that 348 is going into a '51 Merc....... WOW that'll be a cool car..... Let some of the pro's on here know what you're looking for and they will come up with a good cam for you...... In that Merc I'd be looking for something that will add more torque..... with a 4" stroke you'll have lots but the right cam will make it better........ cruiser or rumbling racer ?????

Dave

51 Merc.

cam

thanks for reply motor will be going inthe merc.or 57 chevy por street 2dr. wagon not sure yet mostly street. Racing to costly gave it up about 7yrs. ago .Thanks alot for any help Russ

Well Russ, the big thing is, you DEFINITELY do not have to use that, or ANY old cam profile. Modern cams have quicker ramps, more lift, with shorter seat timing. This can create an extremely "tune-able_ engine combination, that should have more power... and even provide better fuel economy.